“This place is a scam”

Ranked #951 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Saint Louis, Missouri
“This place is a scam”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Many other reviews mention the budget rate, but I'm not sure what they're talking about. We were charged over $900 US total--about £140 a night--for a double. First, there was fine print in the booking so that they had the option to give you two twin beds even though your booking was for a double; my girlfriend and I were expected to each take our own twin. Second, the beds were essentially cots on rolling castors, about the quality of what you get in a stay in an airport terminal. Third, the booking at hotels.com mentioned laundry facilities, which meant there was a pay laundry three streets over. Everything everyone said about the lift (only fits two people with stacked bags), the wifi (spotty), and the room size (tiny) is accurate. We asked for better accommodations. They were rude and unsympathetic that we were paying such an exorbitant rate for two cots. I've stayed in budget hotels all across Europe before, and though this is one of the worst I've seen, it might have been acceptable if we were paying a quarter to a third what we were charged. I should mention that we were forced to stay during Wimbledon, but it really doesn't matter. We used their shoddy wifi to find a dozen other hotels equidistant from city centre with better facilities and the same rate, and mind you that was to check in that very day. Fortunately, hotels.com was willing to void the transaction because of the lie about laundry, and they were able to put us in one of the much better hotels we found on our own for the same rate. Stay away from this scam.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

After reading all the reviews here and on other sites, I was a little worried as to what I would find here. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was a decent size and bed comfortable and clean. The bathroom was quite small, but perfectly fine for one person. I may have had more trouble in there than most, however, being a large woman. The receptionists were very helpful when I spoke to them. All in all, I got what I paid for- a clean, comfortable place to sleep. Also, the location was great!

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shana B
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

We spent a weekend and did not get impressed...the location was ok, that part of the city is quite and close also to nice restaurants. However the staff at the reception was a bit rude and the room itself very tiny. The bathroom was even smaller. At night we could easily hear noises from other rooms which of course we did not appreciate. We will certainly come back to London but of course we will go for another hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Staff: We encountered some very nice staff that were very helpful. However on the last day when we were leaving, we rushed back and were told our taxi to the airport had left without us. The receptionist actually didn't even tell us when she saw us!We had to ask her if she had seen any taxi. We were panicking but the receptionist, a lady with short blonde hair, told us with a straight face, you didn't come in time, the taxi has left. We were panicking and she just continued looking at her computer. I asked her what other options there were as i had a plane to catch in 3hours. She just looked at me and said well you can take the train and it is going to take you 2 hours or you can go get a cab. While she was saying this, I asked twice can you help me to book a cab. Finally she said yes i can and she booked it. During the whole conversation she had the look of "Well it's your fault, your problem". Earlier in the morning when we checked out, and we asked to put our bags with them. She did not even greet us when she saw us and she just handed us a key and said bring it down on your own. We felt she had rather poor customer service.

Room: We were on the 4th floor. Room was small but alright. The floor creaked where ever we walked. On the first night i had trouble with their tap. It responded very slowly when i turned the shower tap so it took quite some time to adjust it to the correct temperature. There is a certain old musty smell to the room we were in but in the room our other family members were in was alright.

Breakfast: Horrible. There was a toaster that was pretty old fashioned and there was no one around to assist us. There was only piles of bread, cereal, juice and coffee.

Lift: Very small. Could only fit 1 person and 2 luggages. Therefore, when a family is checking out especially in the morning when people are going out or down for breakfast, it is advised to start moving out your luggage earlier if not it takes at least 15minutes for a family to move all their luggage down and that is with some of the family members going down by staircase.

The upside of the hotel is that it is located in a good location near 2 tube stations queensway and bayswater and there is alot of restaurants along that road as well.

Note: If you want to take a transport to the airport. Don't bother wasting your 70 pounds on the shuttle by the hotel. It needs 1 day in advance booking. But when we called for a cab, we realized it was only a flat rate of 55 pounds.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Mumbai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was touring London in May for 4 days with my family. I had booked a Quad room. As we checked-in they allotted us a room on 2nd floor (Room No. 202). The bathroom door had a big one inch gap where the hinges are placed. One good see through the bathroom very clearly. The carpet was bad. I took this up with the lady at the reception. They gave me another quad room in the basement. Although the door was of the bathroom was okay the room was below average. This is a very old building, more than 100 years old. Maintenance is not good. The lift is so small that one could fit in couple of small bags and may be one person can fit. The breakfast consists of bread and jam, no fruits, no cakes. Although they have free Wi-Fi the connectivity was erratic and their wi-fi was completely down for two full days. Overall this hotel is a bad choice even if the tariff is reasonable. I am sure one would find a better hotel at same price. I have never stayed in a hotel as bad as this one.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JaideepMumbai
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

i like this hotel and have stayed there a few times
however a month after my last stay
my credit card was used by a member of staff to the tune of £166
i would not use this hotel again the manager just fobbed me off
saying i must have booked it for someone else..
do not stay at this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank karen h
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We think it is a good value for money as the hotel is in the city center, but would definitely not recommend to buy breakfast! It was only 5£ but there was nothing else but bread, jam and cheapest cereal. No cheese or ham, nothing. One of the receptionist was very nice and welcoming (looks like Spanish, dark hair) and the guy at night was nice too, but staff at breakfast didin't say good morning or anything like that.
The room itself was really poor but had a shower and a sink in the cupboard :) Bathroom was quite nice and clean.
We don't regret going there but probably will not come back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple