“I'm not saying I wouldn't go back”
Review of Wedgewood Hotel

Wedgewood Hotel
Ranked #943 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I would go back if I needed a cheap bed for the night and didn't fancy a hostel, as it was clean enough and in a good location. This place is pretty cheap and you get what you pay for. I have to be honest though, I'm not really fussy, but there were a few things that were a bit rubbish.

We did struggle with the size of the room. At first I didn't care as I was expecting it to be small, but after we'd been in it for a while we were tripping over each other a bit!

Not bothered that the bathroom was small but the shower was a bit awkward. It was hard to get the temperature right and the shower head spurted water in lots of different directions!

Round the window was mucky and it couldn't be opened as it had locked bars. Glad it wasn't too warm.

The bed and pillows were quite uncomfortable.

Breakfast was basic, just cereal and toast, juice, tea & coffee. Didn't mind that, I'm happy with toast, but the toaster wasn't great. Black on one side and still bread on the other! I was looking forward to some coffee, but sadly it was just freeze-dried coffee.

All in all this really isn't a good hotel, but I would go back as a last resort as I'm not traumatised.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Polly_Louise

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Absolutely shocking hotel.... First things first, do a google street view of the place.
Our issue
A blocked pipe in the system caused 50ltrs of sewage to come up through the shower and fill our room totally ruining our cloths and personal items.
We demanded to speak with a manager and was met by staff being highly evasive, one in particular Voilet Radu.
We requested to speak with a manager regarding this situation and time after time we were declined.. Being carnival weekend, our clothes were runiend and we missed the majority of the day, great!!

The situation was rectified in the end after a lot of hassle and trying to explain to a Lithuanian receptionist the customer rights act and how they were liable.

Anyway - We ended up in a new room, which was boiling hot, a wardrobe that actually had a shower and toilet inside it (think of narnia)

If you feel like staying here then good luck!

My advice to you is, put the extra £20 and go elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Andy E
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We went into a family trip, the room we had it was very warm, too noisy, the beds were terrible, and the person who fold the beds sheets, didn't knew how to do that. We had a room in the basement, although we had a window, we couldn't have fresh air. The reception woman in the morning looks like always were angry. We arrived at 1:30 pm, and she didn't want to give us the room until 2 pm.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Axnavarro
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Many other reviews mention the budget rate, but I'm not sure what they're talking about. We were charged over $900 US total--about £140 a night--for a double. First, there was fine print in the booking so that they had the option to give you two twin beds even though your booking was for a double; my girlfriend and I were expected to each take our own twin. Second, the beds were essentially cots on rolling castors, about the quality of what you get in a stay in an airport terminal. Third, the booking at hotels.com mentioned laundry facilities, which meant there was a pay laundry three streets over. Everything everyone said about the lift (only fits two people with stacked bags), the wifi (spotty), and the room size (tiny) is accurate. We asked for better accommodations. They were rude and unsympathetic that we were paying such an exorbitant rate for two cots. I've stayed in budget hotels all across Europe before, and though this is one of the worst I've seen, it might have been acceptable if we were paying a quarter to a third what we were charged. I should mention that we were forced to stay during Wimbledon, but it really doesn't matter. We used their shoddy wifi to find a dozen other hotels equidistant from city centre with better facilities and the same rate, and mind you that was to check in that very day. Fortunately, hotels.com was willing to void the transaction because of the lie about laundry, and they were able to put us in one of the much better hotels we found on our own for the same rate. Stay away from this scam.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M O
Reviewed 1 July 2013

After reading all the reviews here and on other sites, I was a little worried as to what I would find here. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was a decent size and bed comfortable and clean. The bathroom was quite small, but perfectly fine for one person. I may have had more trouble in there than most, however, being a large woman. The receptionists were very helpful when I spoke to them. All in all, I got what I paid for- a clean, comfortable place to sleep. Also, the location was great!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Shana B
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We spent a weekend and did not get impressed...the location was ok, that part of the city is quite and close also to nice restaurants. However the staff at the reception was a bit rude and the room itself very tiny. The bathroom was even smaller. At night we could easily hear noises from other rooms which of course we did not appreciate. We will certainly come back to London but of course we will go for another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Staff: We encountered some very nice staff that were very helpful. However on the last day when we were leaving, we rushed back and were told our taxi to the airport had left without us. The receptionist actually didn't even tell us when she saw us!We had to ask her if she had seen any taxi. We were panicking but the receptionist, a lady with short blonde hair, told us with a straight face, you didn't come in time, the taxi has left. We were panicking and she just continued looking at her computer. I asked her what other options there were as i had a plane to catch in 3hours. She just looked at me and said well you can take the train and it is going to take you 2 hours or you can go get a cab. While she was saying this, I asked twice can you help me to book a cab. Finally she said yes i can and she booked it. During the whole conversation she had the look of "Well it's your fault, your problem". Earlier in the morning when we checked out, and we asked to put our bags with them. She did not even greet us when she saw us and she just handed us a key and said bring it down on your own. We felt she had rather poor customer service.

Room: We were on the 4th floor. Room was small but alright. The floor creaked where ever we walked. On the first night i had trouble with their tap. It responded very slowly when i turned the shower tap so it took quite some time to adjust it to the correct temperature. There is a certain old musty smell to the room we were in but in the room our other family members were in was alright.

Breakfast: Horrible. There was a toaster that was pretty old fashioned and there was no one around to assist us. There was only piles of bread, cereal, juice and coffee.

Lift: Very small. Could only fit 1 person and 2 luggages. Therefore, when a family is checking out especially in the morning when people are going out or down for breakfast, it is advised to start moving out your luggage earlier if not it takes at least 15minutes for a family to move all their luggage down and that is with some of the family members going down by staircase.

The upside of the hotel is that it is located in a good location near 2 tube stations queensway and bayswater and there is alot of restaurants along that road as well.

Note: If you want to take a transport to the airport. Don't bother wasting your 70 pounds on the shuttle by the hotel. It needs 1 day in advance booking. But when we called for a cab, we realized it was only a flat rate of 55 pounds.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family