“A Memorable Visit”

Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City
Ranked #38 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Staybridge Suites London - Stratford City was a superbly situated hotel from which to attend the London Olympic events as well as visit the city itself. The hotel's facilities are brand new, very clean and comfortable. The 12th floor lobby with many amenities and outdoor balcony has a panoramic view of the Olympic Park and was a perfect venue from which to observe many of the Park's activities from the opening to closing ceremonies. And its location provided easy access to many other conveniences in the nearby Westfield Shopping Mall and points of interest via the 'tube'/underground station only a short walk from the front door. The staff's extremely personal attention to our comfort, convenience and logistics were beyond even luxury hotel concierge services. We experienced once-in-a-lifetime opportunities with their assistance and advice. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Mike M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Staybridge Suites just after the Olympics had finished and I was very impressed.

When we arrived I had only booked a studio but I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom unit which was a great first impression. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and they even let me check in at 11am as I had arrived rather early.

The rooms are brand new... it felt as though I was the very first person to have ever stayed in the suite. The 1 bedroom unit was very spacious and has a very decent kitchenette and a decent sized fridge (bigger than your average bar sized fridge that you would usually get). This was great as I had been travelling around Europe for 6 weeks prior and I was glad to be able to finally cook some decent wholesome food as I was rather over eating out for every meal.

The lounge on the top floor is awesome too, its open 24 hours a day and you can take your own food and drinks up to the lounge area and just relax. This was great, I would invite friends over and we would have evening drinks up in the lounge. Then when we wanted more privacy, we would just simply head down to my room and I would entertain in the lounge in my suite instead. THIS is why the place feels like a home away from home.

The views are of the London skyline too which is fantastic... great at night too.

There is also a free laundry with washing machine and dryer... the only downside is that you have to stay with your washing whilst it is drying as there is no 'timer', just a sensor that 'senses' when your clothes are dry... the sensors are terrible and they constantly stop even when your clothes aren't dry so you must stay there - but its free so its good!!

The location is fantastic as well! Only about 10 mins by tube to Liverpool Street stop and it is amongst Westfield that was built for the Olympic games, its the biggest mall in Western Europe and its very VERY nice place to hang out, it has a movie theatre, plenty of places to eat and a tonne of shops... you can spend an entire day there without realising you have done so!

I only have one little negative to say ... the hotel does not do room cleaning on Saturday or Sunday! So on the weekends you will have to make your own bed, and ring up to have fresh towels delivered and toilet paper etc. A little slack and this is a concept I don't quite understand for a fantastic hotel like this. A second negative is that when you do have staff come to your room, they never knock, they just open your door with their master key and walk on in... I really did get a major fright several times when this happened. I think it would be courteous if they could knock and wait for a reply or for someone to answer the door.

Other than that, this hotel is perfect and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the London skyline, the view this way is nicer than the other side
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jonnie27
Wayne A, General Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear Jonnie27,

Thank you for sharing your 'Staybridge experience'.

The team and I are of course absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that you managed to utilise most of the facilities we offer.

We also totally appreciate your comments regarding the weekend servicing of the rooms. In the UK, Staybridge is rated not as a hotel, but as a serviced apartment (we like to think that we are the best of both). Most serviced apartment properties usually will only service the 'rooms' on a weekly basis, whereas we offer service daily.

Whilst we are always happy to accept shorter stay bookings, our predominant focus and guest mix is longer stays, indeed, we have many guests staying with us for a year or more. What we have found is that the longer stay guests actually prefer NOT to be disturbed during their weekends, which is why, as a brand, Staybridge does not service rooms on the weekends, unless requested to do so - if the request is made, we happily service the room, at absolutely no additional cost

This is communicated in the guest directory and also in key areas, including the guest lifts, throughout the hotel. I have however asked my guest services team to ensure that they always include this in their check in welcome script. Please accept my apologies for this not being communicate to you correctly.

Please also accept my apologies for the housekeepers not giving you sufficient time to respond to their knocking, before entering the room. This is totally unacceptable and I personally have now held a training session with the entire housekeeping team to highlight the importance of this.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we all look forward to hopefully giving you a Staybridge welcome again in the near future.

Wayne Androliakos

Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here a number of nights over the Olympics, the staff were very helpful and could not do enough for me.

The breakfast area is very well layed out and a relaxing environment.

The room are clean and plenty of room to swing your cat, if you have one, with cooking facilities if you need them.

Only issue I did have was the air vents clanged between midnight and 6am which kept me awake, after calling down at 2am to get it sorted I was told they could do nothing until an engineer arrived in the morning. They did not even offer me another room. The following morning after raising the compliant I was offer the nights stay for free. Which I was happy with.

The staff are the key feature of this place as they always have time for you and are very pleasant about it too.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This hotel shares the same building with the same group's Holiday Inn (which occupy the floors below it) - I tried both, and was pleased with both. Brand new in the heart of the Westfield shopping mall, around five minutes walk from both Stratford Underground and Stratford International stations for excellent connections to central London and East Anglia/South East England. I was told my room was an upgrade (as I have Holiday Inn Platinum Priority Club membership) but the bed was small, much smaller than the one I had in Holiday Inn. But otherwise the suite was well laid out, with a decent lounge/kitchen area and separate well appointed bathroom. Cooking facilities mean you can do your own thing - plenty of microwaveable meals at Waitrose or M&S in the shopping mall and Sainsbury's is not far away. A good buffet breakfast is included in the price, including some hot food items (although these may not be to everyone's taste!). It was bit crowded on Sunday morning; difficult to find a seat, but items were replenished speedily. Good selection of freeview channels (although not quite the full range) on large screen TVs - one in lounge and another in bedroom! Free wifi although it is a little slow. There are only two lifts which can mean a bit of a wait sometimes, especially as anyone checking in also needs to use them to get from the ground floor to reception. Check out took a bit too long - mainly the fault of the guest 'in front' of me rather than the reception staff, but it did mean I missed my train. Express checkout facility would be appreciated. Once the Olympics are over I imagine there will be some good deals on offer and considering the good rail and tube links it may be worth thinking about this as an alternative to more expensive central London hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers are on the Olympic Park side
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MikeWReading
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Located less then 30 mins from city centre London by tube, hotel is located one level above the Stratford Westfield shopping centre. Its a 5 min walk up from the Stratford tube station.
It has great views of the Olympic stadium and London's skyline which can been seen by most rooms and main balcony.
From check-in to the managers nibbles and drinks to the breakfast in the mornings, the service was first class!
The rooms were finished in a high standard with everything you need for your stay. You can even open the window to the outside world! The hotel encourages for long duration guests to change the furniture around to make it feel like home!!
I love the concept and everything about this hotel!!
Did I mention the countless restaurants, bars, shops within a stone throw away....
Just perfect!

Room Tip: Choose the Olympic view side!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Daniel P
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed at the Staybridge Suite in late August for three nights. Overall, the hotel was very good for the price and location, and I left the hotel feeling relaxed and impressed enough to stay again.

GOOD POINTS: The welcome by the reception staff was professional and easy. The room (I stayed on the 8th floor) was very comfortable and had everything you would need for a short stay or longer as the mini kitchen was well equipped with utensils and appliances (dishwasher, microwave oven, kettle, fridge). The bed was exceptionally comfortable (Hypnos Beds) and the Samsung TV had a good range of channels, all with good picture/reception quality. The bathroom was not massive, but the shower was a good size with strong water pressure and a shower head that was height adjustable beyond 6ft. The view from the room overlooked the Olympic park and the city skyline, and on a clear day you could see for miles. There are numerous restaurants within minutes of the hotel and Stratford tube/rail is less than five minutes walk away. Despite the potential for a lot of noise in the immediate area, the rooms were very quiet.

BAD POINTS: Only one, and that was the breakfast. The format of the breakfast is considerably more relaxed than most hotels, with the hotel trying to convince you are at home by using large jars of jams, full size cereal boxes and kitchen decoration that you might have at home. For me, this didn't quite work, as whilst the type of food available was okay, I'm not so sure about the hygiene aspects of many people using the same jar of jam or box of cereal. The coffee from the automatic machine was pretty rough, though the good selection of Twinnings tea made up for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mesh_2009
Wayne A, General Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review and comment on your recent stay with us. As a new hotel and a new brand to London, we take all of our guest feedback extremely seriously, as we are constantly looking at ways to improve and evolve our brand and service.

The team and I are of course absolutely delighted that you enjoyed most areas of the hotel, but are of course very disappointed that you did not feel that the free breakfast offering lived up to the same expectation.

Breakfast is served in our 'Hub Kitchen' area and you are absolutely correct when you state that it is supposed to feel as informal and relaxed as possible, hopefully giving you the feeling that you are enjoying breakfast, just as you would at 'home'.

To do this we do only use domestic sized condiments, cereals and jams etc, however, please be rest assured that hygeine is absolutely one of our top priorities too! Everything is carefully cleaned and monitored on a daily basis and the jars and bottles that have been open for more than 6 days are thrown away, thus ensuring a far fresher option than you would have even in your own cupboards at home.

We have had some very positive feedback on our breakfast offering, and whilst we absolutely agree and accept that it is not a full breakfast buffet that you would get in a 4 or 5 star hotel, our aim is more to provide our guests a complimentary breakfast in the style similar to what they would enjoy, coming down in their slippers, on a Sunday morning at home.

The team and I all hope to see you again very soon. We will be looking at a varietly of changes in our breakfast as we go into winter which we are certain will satisfy all of our guests.

Wayne Androliakos

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed for a long weekend on the 11th floor with Olympic stadium views. Location is excellent and you can feel the 'vibe' of the redeveloped area. Lots of places to eat, shop and have a drink nearby, although you do have the option of cooking in your own suite with a fully stocked kitchen with all the latest gadgets. The suites are very modern and I have stayed in 5 star hotels and these facilities are equal to these hotels.
Staff were really helpful and friendly (Tim on reception!!) and nothing was to much trouble. I stayed with 3 young children and they loved the patio that gave you views out over the Olympic park and the buffet style breakfast, where you have a great variety of choice and well cooked food.
I wouldnt hesitate to recommend these suites to anyone who wants a quality place to stay in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family