“What more do you need?”

Ranked #32 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Kendal, United Kingdom
“What more do you need?”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We visit London to see our family a few times a year and usually stay in a top grade hotel
However this time we decided to try something different as we were paying for something
we didn't really make the best use of as we are only in the room for sleeping. The room was
spacious, clean, comfortable, good views of the Olympic Park and the City beyond and adequately furnished. The shower is huge and very easy to use, good lighting and air conditioning that works quietly. We shall certainly go back, it is great for shopping also, being
right in the heart of the Westfield Centre with all it has to offer.

Room Tip: They are all good from what I understand
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Edith P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I travel quite regularly for work and usually stay in the Holiday Inn hotel next door, but that was fully booked so I settled for here instead, it was more expensive but the reviews were good so I thought I'd give it a try.

In summary it was "ok" but not sure if ill stay again for the price

The staff were friendly, the room was initially clean and the general location of hotel is great.

The breakfast was poor, I was told by the guy on front desk breakfast is on until 10:30, wrong, it's 09:30 and 10:30 on a Saturday. So on the Friday I missed breakfast - I was not overly pleased. On the day when I had breakfast (I stayed two nights) there was no bacon! The only hot food being served was sausages, hash browns and folded omelettes. If you love a good breakfast unfortunately this place was limited in choice.

After attending the room, I had a "suite", so there's me thinking it'll be a huge room with some kind of lounge area - it's just a basic hotel room with a mini kitchen in! The bathroom is modern, but v small, there is no bath - just a shower!!

After the first night the following morning the room wasn't cleaned very well, dirty cups were left in the room, the milk for tea/coffee wasn't replaced - bathroom wasn't cleaned properly - a severe lack of attention.

Hopefully the manager is reading this - hotel just needs some polishing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RyanNewc14
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear RishiH,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
UK
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Try to stay here when I am in London, although its out of the city the quality of the accommodation and friendliness of the staff more than make up for the travel time. Evening check in staff were fantastic, great guys and nothing is to much trouble, upgrade to a deluxe room overlooking the old (Now!) Olympic park, room as usual was spotless. You can get the overland, tube and DLR from Stratford station which is a 5 min walk from the hotel so no problem getting into the City or further afield. Breakfast was a great spread of either omelette, scrambled eggs with hash browns, cereals and pastries. Would have no hesitation in staying here again when working around London

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Grindlehop
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Recently, I needed to attend a trade show at London's ExCel Centre. As its on the opposite side of London from where I live, I like to get a hotel room at ExCel, or nearby, whenever I am attending for more than one day, or with an early start. Unfortunately, on this occassion, I got approval so late, to attend the show, that all the hotels at ExCel were sold out...except one: the Premier Inn. I've stayed in Permier Inn's before and they're okay, but very basic. On their website, they quoted me an astronomical price and I didn't want to pay that much for a Premier Inn. Luckily, the Intercontinental Group came to the rescue. As a Priority Club member, I had their site open, because I had wanted to stay at the Crowne Plaza at ExCel. The Crowne Plaza showed nothing available, but the Holiday Inn Express, Docklands, was an alternative. I'd prefer a Holiday Inn Express to the Premier Inn and the Holiday Inn Express was cheaper, but not much. Also, it's one stop away from the ExCel on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). I've stayed at that Holiday Inn Express before and It's a decent hotel, but it's a bit in the middle of nowhere, after hours. Also, the price quoted was high, probably because of the show at the ExCel. But, further down the list of Intercontinental properties was the Staybridge Suites at Startford City. It's a higher level of property and they were quoting a lower price.

Staybridge opened in time for the 2012, London Olympics. Now that the Olympics are over and it being winter in London, I guess it wasn't too busy. Staybridge is only 2 stop on the DLR and 2 more stops on the Jubilee Line from ExCel. Also, the overnight parking chrages are only £5 per 24 hours, at Staybridge, while the Holiday Inn Express Docklands was quoting £10. Staybridge is part of the Stratford City complex, co-located with a Holiday Inn, alongside the Westfield Mall. Wesfield has restaurants, a food court, and a Vue Cinema, along with loads of shops.

As an all suites hotel, Staybridge has nice rooms, with a fully functional kitchen. Free, hot breakfast buffet was included, as well as a free wine and beer session, each weeknight. Good quality, cold, Becks beer on tap for the evening mixer, also free nibbles, just add to the value of a stay here. The staff were very friendly and positive. I was given a room with a view of the Olympic Park.

The only negatives I found were small things, which made it slightly less than perfect. The closet is small and because the in-room safe is set on too high a pedestal, inside the closet, Long items can't hang in the closet. Also, I had trouble finding a power plug near the bed. On one side, the cordless phone uses the plug, while on the other the clock is plugged in. Eventually, I found anotehr plug...behind the bed heaboard! It was in a very awkward position to use. In the bathroom, the hand towel is on a railing below the sink. It's too low and when I had to bend over to use the towel, it semed to be at the exact height to cause an uncomfortable feeling in my lower back. The shower drained slowly, so I ended up standing in a puddle of water, at the end of each shower. They give you a free, basic wifi, but offer a higher speed version, if you pay, as part of a package with Apple TV. I stuck with the free version and found it mostly adequate, if ocassionally slow. Ample shower gel is provided, but, personally, I prefer bar soap to shower gel. They did give a small bar of soap for hand washing. Finally, the hot brekfast food seemed below the quality level of the rest of the hotel. Despite these small flaws, I enjoyed my stay. The property is new and looks it. It definitely worth it for me to stay there, saving over £30 per night, for a better class of property.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Joseph B
Wivenhoe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

2 night break deluxe king suite ,room very good nice and clean spacious ,wall clock didnt work and pillows wernt comfortable but those are minor niggles im sure they can sort out ,breakfast was adequate there was plenty of it but a little unexciting again im sure minor changes could easily wow instead of satisfy ,location of the hotel is superb seconds from the shops and restaraunts 25 mins on the tube and your in theatre land but its the staff here at staybridge make the place so good real smiles and a willingness to help they are great unlike the companys pricing policy but i enjoyed my stay so im not going to blame the hotel for the companys shortcommings !! ps when in stratford mall 2 places to avoid are the casino dark dingy and oppresive atmosphere ,and the cow pub was much the same if you want a good drink with chat and a friendly smile head for the micro brewery "tap east " situated near waitrose in the mall

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
StayGM, General Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. The team and I are immensely proud of the hotel and of course were delighted to note that you found the hotels greatest assets to be the team themselves.

You mention that you had some concern regarding our pricing policy, please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this in further detail. The hotel offers a tiered pricing model, meaning the longer you stay the lower the rate becomes - this is a relatively unique way of charging within the UK hotel industry - which we are very happy to pioneer.

I look forward to hearing from you and of course we all look forward to welcoming you 'home' in the very near future.

Wayne Androliakos
Brighton
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here because we were going Christmas Shopping at Westfield.

We did not need anything amazing, but at the same time wanted a bit of comfort & somewhere clean and neat and tidy.

What we got was somewhere really quite special.

Very very clean, really friendly staff, superb facilities in the room [kitchen that actually was a kitchen, etc.]

There is a great view as they are quite high up & it really in first class.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms will be great.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Antietam54
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites London Stratford City for a recent business trip and would definitely stay here again when in the area.

First of all, the hotel is new and is located in Europe's largest shopping mall. Even if you don't like shopping, you are not far from lots of great restaurants.

The rooms are spacious and all have a little kitchenette with dishes, fridge, microwave, and even a dishwasher! The bed was reasonably comfortable and the bathroom spacious.

Customer service at the hotel was great - the staff really made me feel welcome. There is coffee/ tea available 24 hours, they have Monday night movies with free popcorn in a room off the main lobby, they have Manager's receptions a few nights a week with free drinks and snacks, and the breakfast is great!

I found this hotel really paid attention to details. My TV remote wouldn't work and they replaced it right away. The hairdryer in my room also had a detachable diffuser - if you have curly hair (like me), you would understand how excited I was to see this!

When I booked the hotel, I was worried about the location as all of my meetings were in Central London. This was not a problem at all as the hotel is located right beside Stratford Tube and train station. The tube takes about 45-50 minutes to get to Central London but the best way is by Javelin train. This fast train (put in for the Olympics) gets you from Stratford to St Pancras King's Cross in 7 minutes! I bought a week long pass and could use this as much as I wanted. I was even able to go back to the hotel to change/ rest between meetings and dinner in Central London. It coundn't have been more convenient!!

I had a mid-day international flight from Heathrow Airport and was able to make it to the airport in just under one hour via Javelin train, tube (5 stops), and Heathrow Express.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business