“Great and friendly like a home”

Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City
Ranked #33 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London
“Great and friendly like a home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed more than 20 times since it opened so they must do something right. If you drive then convenient otherwise need to walk through the shopping centre. Occupies the 8th to 12th floors of a building. 3 classes of suite all with well equipped kitchen and Apple TV, handy if your films and music are on iTunes. Managers drinks in the evening, basically cheese and wine with lots of take away food options or waitrose and marks and Spencer's a 5 min walk away in Westfields. Price includes hot buffet breakfast which is OK. Place is spotless and staff great. If staying more than one night in the area then it is the obvious choice over a traditional hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank iThinkLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

We traveled with our 17 year old daughter and stayed four nights. While the location was fairly far from the center of London and the attractions, the hotel was at a transportation hub and we traveled quite easily to the places we wanted to visit.( Make sure you purchase an Oyster Card!) Our daughter was thrilled that we were adjacent to the largest shopping mall in the UK and if you want to be part of the typical life of the locals, it was packed with people during the weekend. It was very safe to walk to and from the station and mall at night. Saturday night was a little noisy due to the fact that our room faced the Casino and there was a bar that had an outdoor area that was pretty lively.The hotel staff was wonderful and helpful with any questions or concerns we had. The room was spotless except for the lower portion of the window which was covered with children's hand prints. The complimentary breakfast offered a nice selection of hot and cold foods and allowed us to start the day well-nourished. There was a complimentary happy hour with wine and cheese during the week and it was nice to relax near the fireplace. The suite had a kitchen where we could cook a light meal purchased at one of the two grocery stores in the mall. We all slept well- the bed was comfortable and the pull-out sofa okay for one. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Might want to ask about location away from the Casino, especially during warmer weather, if you are...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Kat4554
lincolnshire, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've stayed in a Staybridge Suites. I know London and wanted to be close to the rail links, and yet near to friends and the new restaurants and bars in East London. The location is right in the doorstep of a huge shopping mall so you can shop to your heart's content in both designer and high street shops. There are good restaurants right next to the hotel, as well as on the top floor of the mall. It's easy to get groceries as there is a Waitrose supermarket in the mall too, along wih various deli's.

The room was not huge, but no more than I needed for my husband and I. It was clean. Can't comment on the breakfast as we went to the mall.
It's an easy 15 minutes on the underground to central London, on the red central Line. The cost is cheaper than your average central London hotel. All in all I found the hotel perfect for my needs.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank billieteacup
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

We visit London to see our family a few times a year and usually stay in a top grade hotel
However this time we decided to try something different as we were paying for something
we didn't really make the best use of as we are only in the room for sleeping. The room was
spacious, clean, comfortable, good views of the Olympic Park and the City beyond and adequately furnished. The shower is huge and very easy to use, good lighting and air conditioning that works quietly. We shall certainly go back, it is great for shopping also, being
right in the heart of the Westfield Centre with all it has to offer.

Room Tip: They are all good from what I understand
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Edith P
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

I travel quite regularly for work and usually stay in the Holiday Inn hotel next door, but that was fully booked so I settled for here instead, it was more expensive but the reviews were good so I thought I'd give it a try.

In summary it was "ok" but not sure if ill stay again for the price

The staff were friendly, the room was initially clean and the general location of hotel is great.

The breakfast was poor, I was told by the guy on front desk breakfast is on until 10:30, wrong, it's 09:30 and 10:30 on a Saturday. So on the Friday I missed breakfast - I was not overly pleased. On the day when I had breakfast (I stayed two nights) there was no bacon! The only hot food being served was sausages, hash browns and folded omelettes. If you love a good breakfast unfortunately this place was limited in choice.

After attending the room, I had a "suite", so there's me thinking it'll be a huge room with some kind of lounge area - it's just a basic hotel room with a mini kitchen in! The bathroom is modern, but v small, there is no bath - just a shower!!

After the first night the following morning the room wasn't cleaned very well, dirty cups were left in the room, the milk for tea/coffee wasn't replaced - bathroom wasn't cleaned properly - a severe lack of attention.

Hopefully the manager is reading this - hotel just needs some polishing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RyanNewc14
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear RishiH,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Try to stay here when I am in London, although its out of the city the quality of the accommodation and friendliness of the staff more than make up for the travel time. Evening check in staff were fantastic, great guys and nothing is to much trouble, upgrade to a deluxe room overlooking the old (Now!) Olympic park, room as usual was spotless. You can get the overland, tube and DLR from Stratford station which is a 5 min walk from the hotel so no problem getting into the City or further afield. Breakfast was a great spread of either omelette, scrambled eggs with hash browns, cereals and pastries. Would have no hesitation in staying here again when working around London

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Grindlehop
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Recently, I needed to attend a trade show at London's ExCel Centre. As its on the opposite side of London from where I live, I like to get a hotel room at ExCel, or nearby, whenever I am attending for more than one day, or with an early start. Unfortunately, on this occassion, I got approval so late, to attend the show, that all the hotels at ExCel were sold out...except one: the Premier Inn. I've stayed in Permier Inn's before and they're okay, but very basic. On their website, they quoted me an astronomical price and I didn't want to pay that much for a Premier Inn. Luckily, the Intercontinental Group came to the rescue. As a Priority Club member, I had their site open, because I had wanted to stay at the Crowne Plaza at ExCel. The Crowne Plaza showed nothing available, but the Holiday Inn Express, Docklands, was an alternative. I'd prefer a Holiday Inn Express to the Premier Inn and the Holiday Inn Express was cheaper, but not much. Also, it's one stop away from the ExCel on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). I've stayed at that Holiday Inn Express before and It's a decent hotel, but it's a bit in the middle of nowhere, after hours. Also, the price quoted was high, probably because of the show at the ExCel. But, further down the list of Intercontinental properties was the Staybridge Suites at Startford City. It's a higher level of property and they were quoting a lower price.

Staybridge opened in time for the 2012, London Olympics. Now that the Olympics are over and it being winter in London, I guess it wasn't too busy. Staybridge is only 2 stop on the DLR and 2 more stops on the Jubilee Line from ExCel. Also, the overnight parking chrages are only £5 per 24 hours, at Staybridge, while the Holiday Inn Express Docklands was quoting £10. Staybridge is part of the Stratford City complex, co-located with a Holiday Inn, alongside the Westfield Mall. Wesfield has restaurants, a food court, and a Vue Cinema, along with loads of shops.

As an all suites hotel, Staybridge has nice rooms, with a fully functional kitchen. Free, hot breakfast buffet was included, as well as a free wine and beer session, each weeknight. Good quality, cold, Becks beer on tap for the evening mixer, also free nibbles, just add to the value of a stay here. The staff were very friendly and positive. I was given a room with a view of the Olympic Park.

The only negatives I found were small things, which made it slightly less than perfect. The closet is small and because the in-room safe is set on too high a pedestal, inside the closet, Long items can't hang in the closet. Also, I had trouble finding a power plug near the bed. On one side, the cordless phone uses the plug, while on the other the clock is plugged in. Eventually, I found anotehr plug...behind the bed heaboard! It was in a very awkward position to use. In the bathroom, the hand towel is on a railing below the sink. It's too low and when I had to bend over to use the towel, it semed to be at the exact height to cause an uncomfortable feeling in my lower back. The shower drained slowly, so I ended up standing in a puddle of water, at the end of each shower. They give you a free, basic wifi, but offer a higher speed version, if you pay, as part of a package with Apple TV. I stuck with the free version and found it mostly adequate, if ocassionally slow. Ample shower gel is provided, but, personally, I prefer bar soap to shower gel. They did give a small bar of soap for hand washing. Finally, the hot brekfast food seemed below the quality level of the rest of the hotel. Despite these small flaws, I enjoyed my stay. The property is new and looks it. It definitely worth it for me to stay there, saving over £30 per night, for a better class of property.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business