“Beware - Group opening in Tibet despite ethical issues”

Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City
Ranked #32 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Before I write my review I want people to be aware that this hotel group is opening a hotel in Lhasa in illegally occupied Tibet and naming it Lhasa Paradise. There are so many human rights violations by China here & IHG are selling "paradise" branding which lines China's pockets through encouraging tourism and allows capitalism to further remove the culture of the Tibetan people. I'm saying that because if I had known I wouldn't have stayed here. What is happening to these people (and has happened) is atrocious and I want no part of it. Over 100 Tibetans have now self immolated (drank & dowsed themselves in petrol, then burned themselves alive) in protest. So now you roughly know too and if concerned can look into things yourself as you see fit. Again I stress to make your own opinion based on your own research and not take what I say for fact or complete truth. I may have made a mis-statement and would not falsely want to misrepresent the situation in Tibet or behavior of IHG. I just know those with ethical concerns would want this highlighted even if I put things ineptly.

I stayed here with a friend in November. I stayed in one of the suites with both a bedroom and a living room. The bed was comfortable - enough so even for my friend that suffers from a mild hip problem (I am not a doctor or anything close - please don't take that as medical advice! Each person will feel different about the bed and should be advised suitably if they have any medical conditions). I had been expecting to be able to play movies on the tv in the bedroom but could only do so on the tv in the living room.The sofa is ok for two but you get squished in if you want to share it laying down. The view was down onto the Westfield Shopping Centre. (Just in case you are wondering - yes there is a primark in there).

You really are right next to it. It's a five minute walk out the station and to the hotel. There are two exits from the train station but head to the Westfield Centre itself as sign posted. I am a nervous traveller but it wasn't hard to find at all. Once outside the Centre you will see directions to the hotel sign posted. It is just before John Lewis.

On arrival you go up a lift. Another hotel operates on the lower floors. In reception you will be treated to two staff members that stand up to greet you which is a nice touch. Check in went very smoothly for me, fairly quick and they will mention an IHG Rewards Club you can sign up to. Movie night is also mentioned - one night a week they show a movie all guests can attend. It is usually advertised in the lift. As usual you get told breakfast times - oh and if you come in the afternoon a free cookie. I missed that cookie as I came slightly too early and never had chance to find an excuse to come back downstairs. It should be added reception staff are lovely.

While you are checking in you can see down past an area you can buy some food and drinks (minimal amounts) as well as very basic toiletries. I didn't spy condoms so if you are their for fun make sure to pack them! The room is open plan and goes right down to the breakfast area and a small hanging out area. There is a balcony on the right where it is pleasant to look out over the surrounding area. It is all modern and tastefully decorated with daily papers adorning the tables to read.

I remember thinking the shower was pretty good. I did not use the cooking in facilities but they looked well stocked. Everything was clean through out the room. What I did do was order in twice. The food however comes from the hotel below in the same building. It is meh. Normal British pub grub - I think they could have been better dishes. They suffice and are not bad but I know there is room for improvement. I had better food at the Premier Inn at London County Hall for example which is lower budget - but again food from downstairs hotel - not this chain. Also if you are up to it you have access to the shopping centres restaurants and there it pretty much caters for everything. I think their pantry could have been better stocked, it's nowhere near any close to a well stocked shop. If you plan on doing lots of cooking here bring what you want to cook from elsewhere.

While I think of it if I was as a female travelling alone I would have felt safe here. Zero creepy vibes from employees. Also there is a beauticians in the building, something I had been unaware of. It is again downstairs with the other hotel.

Breakfast! The breakfast room were food is laid out is fairly user friendly. Around the outskirts you have a hot food station with fry up items, there is a toaster, fridge containing a variety of fruit juices, a tea area, as well as shelves interspersed with glasses, condiments and other eating implements which you may help yourself too. There is an island in the middle which has muffins (blue berry and chocolate), small array of cereals, yogurt, milk, breads etc. I think there were a few cheeses and meats too. Oh and a few types of sweet pastries. I give a special shout out to those muffins though. They were good - very moist. You should hoard those. Trust me.

Be careful of one of the hot food serving handles, it gets really hot. I think it was the beans handle but am not 100% sure. I told an employee and they were aware of the problem. They had moved food items around to resolve the issue but it ended up encouraging meat items to drop in veggie items like the beans so ended up back with a very hot serving handle on one dish. There were 4 employees there one morning, a very well supervised area. At the end of breakfast time they pack away sharp so be sure to get in and load up your plate if you want seconds! Next to the window is a nice place to sit if you like to gaze out and look at city landscape.

You should have a pretty nice stay here. Only other thing I can think to mention is their website doesn't give as much detail to the hotel as say a non-chain would and that could be improved. I ended up moving to the London County Hall Premier Inn which is right by the London Eye. I had to extend my stay and the price here at short notice was overly high. They would not barter down enough to prolong my stay with them. Granted this is good value for London - with London being expensive but short notice it went up too much for me. I guess the cut in price is due to it being out of central London and not in a main tourist area. At the Premier Inn luxury was less of an issue as my company would not have been in the consideration in the same way. It was also a good central place to stay (but with no frills).

If anyone has questions I'm happy to try and help. Enjoy your stay wherever you go.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank boshamore
There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My girlfriend and i regularly use this hotel although we only live a few miles away, we come here to chill out and for nights out at the Casino is Westfeild Stratford, the location is great and so is the hotel itself, the rooms are modern, the staff are great, very talkative and very friendly, the breakfast is very nice and is also included in the price of the stay, the prices can sometimes be a little on the expensive side but if you book in advance you can get reasonable rates, the only downfall is the parking costs but you can park for cheaper in nearby places, we are big fans of Staybridge Suites and will keep coming back to their hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stay in London a lot for work and the Staybridge Suites at Stratford City are probably my favourite.

Clean rooms, good showers with plenty of hot water, cooking facilities (although I've never used them), numerous restaurants and shops in a safe area immediately adjacent to the hotel, parking, and a tube station less than two minutes walk away. What's not to like!

The staff are friendly. They have a bar (in the holiday inn - same building). Wireless internet access (and it works).

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Even though this is an "extended stay" hotel, we stayed just one night and it was perfectly adequate.
They really have thought of everything. Super friendly staff, who went out of their way to be helpful in every way. From Nicolas at the front desk to Helen who made all the arrangements and all the other staff we met, they are a top team here.
A few niggles, like the a/c that turned the temperature up by itself in the middle of the night. Also the bed sheet was too small for the mattress it was on.
When reporting these matters to the front desk the next day, the staff were very apologetic and promised these would be dealt with as soon as possible.
The hotel location is very convenient for both central London and City Airport and definately a suitable alternative to staying in the centre of the city.
Also breakfast was good, though not the most elaborate buffet, but still a good selection. Also, the manager's cocktail hour was a nice surprise with free drinks and nibbles.
Recommended.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DoMeAFavour
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed in April for 8 nights, friendly staff, great room, location is very convenient besides a shopping centre and 3 mins walk to a tube, breakfast is simple. Laundry service is reasonable, Recommended!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed 1 night in December 2013. Nice greeting at reception, was given upgrade but still a studio type room. Lovely evening reception ( free) and buffet breakfast. Great view of Olympic swimming pool. Very festive atmosphere with great friendly staff. If the price was £20 lower I would stay more often. Beware that because its a suite they sometimes don't have the 20% VAT included in the price - I got caught out and the expenses dept are non too happy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BirminghamMouse
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here whilst visiting London, clean and tidy throughout with a good selection for breakfast, not a lot of the Olympic site to see at the moment, good for shopping as its within Westfield shopping centre and on the main train and tube lines for easy access in and out of London. Friendly staff too

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple