“Food good - Service Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Saffron Red - CLOSED

Saffron Red
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Newly Opened, fine dining restaurant in the heart of Londons Business district.Offering delicious, traditional Indian food.
Diss, United Kingdom
“Food good - Service Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Visited here with a friend on Thursday lunchtime. Empty at 12.30 but soon filled up. Food was really nice. The lamb in my curry was really tender and so tasty and the garlic naan delicious. Once of the nicest curries I have had for a while. The service was disappointing - one of the waiters was not very attentive and was hard to get his attention however this would not be too difficult for them to remedy with a bit of training. Will definitely revisit for the food.

• Visited November 2012

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Lunch in the dark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

There is something slightly odd about restaurants that you find in the basement of a building. As I walked down the stairs, I found myself in an empty and dimly lit big room. To be fair, the interior looks neat and modern, not much of an Indian theme going on but instead canvases of English iconic architecture on the wall.

It's a shame that the room is not properly lit up. In fact, it's so dark that you can barely make out the food on your plate or read the menu without squinting your eyes. What also annoyed me was the waiter who paced around like a stalker because he had nothing else to do (the atmosphere was dead on a Monday noon and I was the only guest).

My all time favourite, Mutter Paneer, was lacking taste but acceptable enough to return and try other dishes. The water which was added to the bill was not served in a bottle. It made me wonder if it had come straight from the tab.

I would like to see an affordable lunch menu as the restaurant is a pricey option compared to the surrounding takeaways for lunch break.

• Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I went to saffron red which is located outside the number 25 bus stop. Out of curiosity I went inside to see what it was all about alongside also being quite hungry! For a starter I ordered the mixed meat platter. Worry not veggies there’s a vegetarian version of the mixed platter. After that I ordered the lamb tika curry with egg fried rice. The two are an excellent combination. I would advise anyone who is a lightweight with spices to take caution as this one may require a drink or two. You can request the staff to make it a little milder for those who cannot take spicy food. I think the food was great and I look forward to my next visit to give you all a further update on the menu after sampling some more food from saffron Red.

• Visited June 2012
Baldock, Herts, U.K.
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

I found this place through the Gourmet Society website and decided to give it a go. I wasn't disappointed. The service was very friendly - attentive but not intrusive and eager to please. The decor was very nice. Looks recently refurbished so all the fixtures and fittings were in a good condition. We went during the Euro 2012 competition and they were showing a match on the TV on the wall which was nice, being a football fan. However, the volume was kept down which was the right thing to do in a restaurant - you don't want football commentary being blared out. Food was very good. The menu had some interesting specialities on it and offered a bit more than your standard curry house. Also, it didn't come with the film of oil on the top of the curry that you sometimes get. Price wise it's probably just above what you might pay in the standard curry house but we had the Gourmet Society discount so it turned out to be excellent value. That said, if we didn't have the discount i would still say the food represented excellent value for money. We will certainly return.

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

The venue is pleasant, as well as the environment. The staff is nice. I went with a couple of friends, we tried different things and shared and we all liked everything. That says a lot about their food, right? Besides, I asked for something that was not in the menu and they offered to do it, and let me tell you the dish turned out to be delicious. (It was chicken with green curry). I would totally recommend you to go there if you enjoy Indian cuisine.

Visited February 2012