“Fails on practically every level!”

Hotel Makedonia Ltd
Ranked #908 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Having read some of the reviews and knowing the area, I wasn't expecting the earth but I was left completely dissatisfied by the time I left. Not one single claim made on the hotel website is true and the room I had (304) did not resemble any of the photos I saw on any site. Firstly, I tried to contact the hotel from the minute I booked until my actual journey into London as I was anxious to confirm arrangements for my late arrival, particularly as I was travelling alone and didn't want to be left in the lurch late at night. I could not get through at all. I told the receptionist this on arrival and he practically called me a liar saying the phone worked fine. At that point, another guest in reception backed me up and said he had also tried to ring and that they needed to sort it out. I even checked the number with him. In the morning, I mentioned it again (while complaining about my terrible experience) and another receptionist said they had changed the number! It is not on their or any booking website. I asked the same girl if all the rooms were in the same condition as mine and she said more or less. She told me they were going to get new furniture, which was not really of any relevance to me!
Here are some facts about this shabby hotel which differ from what is promised: it needs completely refurbishing; shower was a slow trickle and completely covered in mildew; no bathroom slippers (they are in every photo); stained, chipped and peeling furniture; cracked walls and ceilings; no internet; no friendly welcome; no service at all at breakfast - I couldn't find any hot drink facilities; no choice of nice cheese as mentioned in some reviews. Their website mentions showing respect to all guests. One girl in a suit - I presume she was a manager, walked past me three times in the morning while I was trying to figure out the breakfast situation/ total lack of service and did not even acknowledge my existence. The receptionist tried to excuse this saying she was busy, but a simple smile or good morning doesn't take up any time, does it?
I told the receptionist what I thought of the hotel and she said she would tell the manager to email me about it (I'm not holding my breath!). Watch out for the check-in guy as he asks for payment up front and doesn't attempt to offer any help up the maze of stairs - I got lost at one point! Had I not paid on arrival, I would have disputed the bill on check out. SHABBY SERVICE, SHABBY ROOMS, SHABBY ATTITUDE.

Room Tip: Apparently they are all the same, according to the receptionist!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Molkovina

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as it was close to a wedding reception we attended. Good location near Caledonian rd station. Room was very clean and little touches like fruit and water in the room were welcome. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Clean and functional bathroom with fluffy towels.
Good continental buffet breakfast.
Overall very good value for London

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Located on slightly downmarket Caledonian Road but is convenient for Islington and Kings Cross/St Pancras. It is also within walking distance of some excellent Islington pubs. The room was on the third floor up steep stairs. There is also a fourth floor. There is no lift so if you have more than a small suitcase try to get a room on the lower floors. The room itself was okay but some of the furniture was a bit scruffy. The bathroom was okay but the silicone and grouting in the shower was in serious need of renovation. The room was much too hot overnight and there was no means of adjusting the radiator. The breakfast room in the basement was very nice and the breakfast was excellent. The owners are Greek and visitors should be aware that the breakfast is definitely continental and not English i.e. there is no bacon and egg, or other cooked breakfast. But there was a fantastic choice of cereals, cold savoury food (including feta and olives!) and cakes.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the lower floor unless you are happy to lug suitcases up steep stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_and_Jane_York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Joan D
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This hotel is cashing in on the crazy London market - they undercut the central hotels, bring in the punters, then don't make any effort. The room was okay, nice decor and fairly new furniture, but bathroom grim and cracked floor tiles with grime around the bath seal. The bed was small and so soft we just rolled into the middle. So-called fruit basket was a tiny shrivelled apple and orange. We stayed 2 nights but only had breakfast once because it wasn't worth the effort for stodgy sliced bread. Lovely friendly girl looking after the breakfast room and she stood out particularly because of the miserable male reception staff. On arrival we were met by a very friendly blonde receptionist female but she didn't appear again - she was replaced by surly, un-communicative men.
I know this was cheap for London and the location was fine in that it was next to the tube and just a few minutes to the centre, but this price would buy you a wonderful luxury night in many of the other much friendlier cities in the UK. A rip-off with little effort made to create a pleasant stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel is clean, staff are friendly, wifi worked fine. Location is not ideal as not much to do locally but only a 3min walk to the tube. Big rooms brightly decorated. Only concern was a loose socket in our room. Would definetly stay again

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2013

A very good hotel - clean and run by helpful staff. Breakfast and in-room facilities (tea/coffee, shower, complementary fruit) were all excellent for a hotel of this price. While the location is unremarkable, it is handy for the tube. No lifts so wouldn't suit all, and I can see how it could be a little noisy outside (but aren't all London hotels...?). So not perfect, but very good and in the top draw of London hotels under £100

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple