“Hotel Makedonia”

Ranked #902 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Preston, United Kingdom
“Hotel Makedonia”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a small family run hotel which is situated on a busy main road. The hotel doesn't look very appealing from the outside and it is situated in a residential area and directly opposite the prison,(Pentonville). I was travelling with my two teenage children, so had booked a triple room. The room was very spacious with three single beds, a wardrobe, dressing table and a separate bathroom. There was a small basket of fruit in the room, a bottle of water and tea/coffee making facilities. The room had a modern décor, but was a little tired in places. The electric plug socket was falling off the wall, there was dust around the skirting and under the beds and the doors were not painted and had a large gap at the bottom.
We arrived back to the room at approximately 11.30pm and found that the bed frame was broken, so the bed was unfit to use. I went to reception and luckily we were given another triple room on the next floor.
The next morning I was woken early at 8am by the noise outside. There was a pedestrian crossing that kept going off constantly, the road was a major bus route and there was constant noise from traffic and pedestrians walking past the hotel.
There was continental breakfast included in our stay, which was lovely. As much as you could eat and plenty of selection. Also the receptionist that checked us in, also served the breakfast and was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside or back room. We were at the front of the hotel near the busy road and it was very...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DebbieR45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We travelled to this hotel Saturday 24th May, we went to watch the Arctic Monkeys in Finsbury park and other local hotels prices due to the gig averaged around £250. This hotel was fantastic value for money at £90 a night for our double room, staff were friendly, room was clean, ammenities were fantastic, bed comfy and bathroom great. We were really close to tube station and had a pub close enough (right next door) no noise heard from here through. we ended the night in Camden and it was only a 10 pound taxi drive home in the early hours. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, the staff were fantastic and i would 100% stay at this hotel in the future. Big thumbs up from me :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting London and wish we hadn't. The hall carpets and skirting were filthy and frayed with bits of dirt and even a nail on the floor which I stood on.
The room door handle and cupboard was hanging off and the lampshades were thick with dust.
The bath had black marks. We complained and the staff were rude and did not care- they even accused us of planting the nail on the carpet!
We are now complaining to the booking agent who shouldn't list this hotel.
It is also opposite a prison and not in a nice are- plenty of other hotels at the same price who take more pride in their work and who aren't rude! Don't stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sallyleemo11
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night after having originally booked two nights during the month of May in 2014. The hotel is conveniently located next to a large prison. The building was in an acceptable condition and the Managers had obviously spent some money in refurbishing the sign and the entrance hallway.

The room was a very small single room containing a very small narrow single bed. The first problem with the room became apparent upon opening the door - an unpleasant odour that remained the whole night. The linen appeared to be clean and pressed, and the mattress did have a mattress protector. The lighting fixtures were of poor condition and one bedside lamp had a broken switch, which could have posed an electrical hazard. Tea and coffee making facilities were on hand and a small fruit bowl was placed in the room together with a complimentary bottle of mineral water. A small flat-screen television was on hand.

The breakfast was of a poor standard with a small selection of cold cuts and an insufficient supply of breads and pastries. The dining room is located in the basement of the hotel and it is not well lit.

The hotel does not have an elevator and no assistance with baggage was offered.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alexander W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is located not far from the Caledonian Road tube station, and is convenient when it comes to travelling in to central London. Bad thing about the location is that there are few resturants nearby and also a police station and a prison just on the other side of the road. This means that there is a lot of noise at night.

The rooms are clean, and has no carpet, which I really liked. The TV was a bit small, and you could barely watch it. The floor needed refurbishment, but it isn't a big issue.

Breakfast is good, with a wide choice of toppings. WiFi is a not the best, but ok.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far from the main street as possible. Do also mind that there are no lifts.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Having read some of the reviews and knowing the area, I wasn't expecting the earth but I was left completely dissatisfied by the time I left. Not one single claim made on the hotel website is true and the room I had (304) did not resemble any of the photos I saw on any site. Firstly, I tried to contact the hotel from the minute I booked until my actual journey into London as I was anxious to confirm arrangements for my late arrival, particularly as I was travelling alone and didn't want to be left in the lurch late at night. I could not get through at all. I told the receptionist this on arrival and he practically called me a liar saying the phone worked fine. At that point, another guest in reception backed me up and said he had also tried to ring and that they needed to sort it out. I even checked the number with him. In the morning, I mentioned it again (while complaining about my terrible experience) and another receptionist said they had changed the number! It is not on their or any booking website. I asked the same girl if all the rooms were in the same condition as mine and she said more or less. She told me they were going to get new furniture, which was not really of any relevance to me!
Here are some facts about this shabby hotel which differ from what is promised: it needs completely refurbishing; shower was a slow trickle and completely covered in mildew; no bathroom slippers (they are in every photo); stained, chipped and peeling furniture; cracked walls and ceilings; no internet; no friendly welcome; no service at all at breakfast - I couldn't find any hot drink facilities; no choice of nice cheese as mentioned in some reviews. Their website mentions showing respect to all guests. One girl in a suit - I presume she was a manager, walked past me three times in the morning while I was trying to figure out the breakfast situation/ total lack of service and did not even acknowledge my existence. The receptionist tried to excuse this saying she was busy, but a simple smile or good morning doesn't take up any time, does it?
I told the receptionist what I thought of the hotel and she said she would tell the manager to email me about it (I'm not holding my breath!). Watch out for the check-in guy as he asks for payment up front and doesn't attempt to offer any help up the maze of stairs - I got lost at one point! Had I not paid on arrival, I would have disputed the bill on check out. SHABBY SERVICE, SHABBY ROOMS, SHABBY ATTITUDE.

Room Tip: Apparently they are all the same, according to the receptionist!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Molkovina
Godalming, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as it was close to a wedding reception we attended. Good location near Caledonian rd station. Room was very clean and little touches like fruit and water in the room were welcome. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Clean and functional bathroom with fluffy towels.
Good continental buffet breakfast.
Overall very good value for London

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple