“Lovely first afternoon tea”
Review of Dolly's Restaurant

Dolly's Restaurant
Ranked #4,679 of 22,557 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Blankenberge, Belgium
“Lovely first afternoon tea”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

For my first afternoon tea I wanted to go somewhere simple not to posh so I would feel at ease. Dolly's at the lower ground floor of Selfridges was the perfect place. Last thursday my wife and I had afternoon tea for two. The sandwishes, scones and desserts were fresh and lovely. We had earl grey and orange-passionfruit tea. Staff are very friendly and helpfull. We went early around 12:15 pm and didn't have to wait for a table.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank patten13

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Wonderful surprise in Selfriges- I LOVED it!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This restaurant is located right in the middle of Selfriges Department store. ( sorry, I can't remember which floor it is on) I had been shopping for hours and decided to stop in for a quick snack, not knowing anything about the place, I really wasn't expecting anything special. Well, I was wrong! First of all, I did have to wait in a que with about 4- 5 parties ahead of me. The line moved very quickly, so that was fine. The hostess who was seating us kept us updated as to how much longer the wait would be, and she was extremely courteous, as was everyone who worked there. My wait was between 5-10 minutes.

Now, for the food! I opted for the afternoon tea, and what a great choice! I was given a selection of about four or five teas to choose from. The waitress explained the teas and made recommendations based upon my preferences. I chose the Ceylon, which was great, nice and strong, just the way I like it. It was served in a tea pot, along with a pitcher of milk and a bowl of white and dark sugar cubes. The food arrived on a three tiered platter, typical for afternoon tea. The bottom held three tea sandwiches, I forget the flavors, but they were all delicious! The middle tier consisted of two scones, a plain and a raisin, with clotted cream and jam. Oh my, they were sooo good, I could have eaten them all day! On top was a dessert, a strawberry tart, made with fresh strawberries. There was no choice for dessert, and although I would have preferred something chocolate, the strawberry tart was very tasty! After eating all of this I was quite full and satisfied!

The atmosphere was very festive, as it was two weeks before Christmas! There were three ballerinas dressed as swans, who were dancing around the store, who danced around the restaurant several times while I was dining - magical! Also, there was a choir singing Christmas carols somewhere in the store, and although I couldn't see them, I could hear them and they were fantastic! As I said, the restaurant is right in the middle of the store, and if you look up you can see all the way up to the top floor of the store, as depicted in my photograph.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon tea at Dolly's and I would highly recommend it. If I remember correctly, the afternoon tea was £14.50 and it rivaled afternoon tea at other venues which are quite a bit more expensive. I will definitely be back again.

• Visited December 2011