“Excellent Afternoon Tea!”

Ranked #5,403 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had to write a review as I disagree with so many of the other comments left! My Mum took me to London for a day shopping for my 21st birthday (31/03/14) and we went to Dolly's for afternoon tea.
When we arrived there was a short wait, no longer than five minutes, but a waitress gave us menus to look at whilst we queued and was very polite. We were quickly seated and chose the afternoon tea for two. It only took five minutes to be brought out and it was simply delicious!
We both had a large pot of tea each which meant we had three generous cups each, four finger sandwiches each which were beautiful (cream cheese, egg mayonnaise, smoked salmon and chicken & spinach) a large scone each served with a generous portion of jam and clotted cream and also two cakes, one lemon tart and one strawberries & cream which we shared.
All of the food was divine, presented beautifully and for £32 I think this was very good value indeed.
All the staff were attentive and very polite and the service was perfect.
I would highly recommend Dolly's for anyone looking for a lovely afternoon tea!

2  Thank Charly C
There are newer reviews for Dolly's Restaurant

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have had tea and cake here a few times over the years, and this week went again, forgetting why I had left it so long. In a prestige store such as Selfridges you would hope and expect something special. Sadly it isn't. We queued for at least 20 minutes, there were people waiting to pay and vacate their tables but the staff were not quick to turn the tables around. The cake looked good but it really wasn't anything special, it was sickly and not that enjoyable. Very overpriced for something not that special, I wont be back.

1  Thank sam0pc1
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Called into Dolly's for a mid morning refreshments, tempted by the beautiful display of cakes and tarts. Just a short wait and shown to a table by our waitress. The service was efficient and the atmosphere pleasant. My wife's Latte and scone with cream was excellent. BUT my cappuccino was tasteless, the froth insipid and at the bottom was a brown sludge of coffee/chocolate - which I was advised how Selfridges serve their cappuccinos (perhaps you are supposed to stir the drink before consuming?). The strawberry tart also contained a hidden very over ripe strawberry that had an unpleasant flavour. Not the best experience overall.

1  Thank spain0809
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Went here in a group of 5, we had a short wait which was fine but when we were seated we realised that the table was very small, they all were by the looks of it and couldn’t accommodate larger groups, we had a selection of drinks and food including afternoon tea, the waitresses struggled to get the our food and drinks on the table due to it being so small, the afternoon tea for 1 had a very small selection of sandwiches which were nice but the bread was stale and you could tell had been made in the morning, the scones with jam and clotted cream were nice and the one cake we were given was ok, the services wasn’t particularly fast considering the amount of tables they had to serve and that none of our food was freshly made, we had to wait ages to get the bill and once we did no one came to take our payment, some of our group left (to get out of the way more than anything) while the other attempted to pay someone! The 3 people who had left said they were approached by a member of staff and very rudely questioned why they were leaving without paying, when they pointed out that 2 members of the group were trying to get anyone’s attention at the entrance the member of staff offered no apology and left very quickly. I understand that they were very busy but they could have done with more staff who maybe have had some customer service training I can now say I have had afternoon tea at Selfridges but I wouldn’t go back

1  Thank oneinamillion12
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me say that I'm not a person who is hard to please and don't like complaining,
Went to Dolly's with a friend for afternoon tea. There was a very short wait and we were handed a menu to look at in the queue. We were then taken to a table by a waitress who didn't smile, didn't thank us for waiting and generally just seemed very rushed and not happy to be there. We were given about 2 minutes before they came to take our order. I asked for another minute as we were still deciding and again the waitress was very abrupt and walked off. She came back and asked what we wanted. We said we would like the aftern... And she cut in and said afternoon tea standard price. ( there are 2 options and she just assumed which one we wanted... She assumed correctly but even so thought it was a bit rude) we were not given any options of which cakes we wanted.
The tea and cakes arrived after a few minutes. The price was £33. We received 1 pot of tea between us. 1
Scone each which were hard. One small pot of cream and jam. One small strawberry tart, one banana cake and 8 small finger sandwiches ( which probably equate to 2 sandwiches. For £33 this is terrible value. I would have expected at least 2 scones each and a choice of cakes not just 2 small ones. The sandwiches were tiny. We managed to have about 1 and a half cups of tea from the pot. I asked a waitress of they would just be able to add a little hot water once the water ran out so we could have a little more tea ( I didn't want anymore tea as there was plenty in the pot) I was told it would be £2.00 for a top up. This is just awful when we have already paid £33 for what was about £10 worth of food. We waited 10 minutes to pay as we were just ignored. We wern't asked of we enjoyed our food of if we wanted anything else and again waitress had no interest in us as we finished out food. will not be coming here. Awful service and they are taking advantage of people charging a huge amount for not very much at all!

2  Thank Tinkerbel1440