“Friday night out”

Ibis Styles London Excel
Ranked #568 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I visited this hotel, the former Cutoms House Hotel on a Friday night and upon arrival the staff were courteous and helpful.

The room was inappropriate having a double bed, as opposed to the twins requested, but this was immediately sorted out without any fuss, which was excellent.

I joined some friends at the bar, an area that is somewhat plain, but benefits from friendly staff and has eating facilities of the usual pub grub variety.

The room was clean, featuring a Pod style wash area with a modern LG television and coffee/ tea making facilities. I enjoyed a good nights sleep without any noise.

Breakfast was served as part of the price in a bright spacious resturant area with plenty of tables. The food, was of a continental as well as cooked variety with fresh fruit, crossiants etc.All good.

Whilst the hotel is not as outwardly glamerous as it's Excel Ibis neighbour, I felt, having visited both, that it had the edge, with the possible exception of the proximity that the other Ibis has to the Excel. Certainly, the breakfast arrangements are far superior.

Well recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Sean O, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

The refurbishment is finished and this has included the new lounges, all the bedrooms, the breakfast room and the reception, we're glad you liked it.

New beds are being rolled out in the hotel and so the comfort of the rooms will be taken up a level, these are extremely comfortable and having myself slept on these, are looking forward to the feedback from our guests.

We hope to see you soon

There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles London Excel

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Got a really good deal with the hotel and for the price that we paid for 3 nights in London it cannot be faulted. Yes the rooms are very small but what do you need it for. Bed was just fine to sleep in and does it's job. Bathroom was extremely small but the shower was good and hot.
Position is ideal if you need the Excel as it's just across the road. Hotel is right opposite the DLR station (Custom House for Excel). Check in was good, fast and efficient.

Breakfast was OK, if a little busy. Food was hot and plentiful. Breakfast room is a bit like a school canteen but OK.

The pub next door was not too bad. We ate on the first night and it was fine for us. Food was hot and service was good.

I think if we paid the full price we would have been a but dissapointed, but get a good deal and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean O, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay here at Ibis Styles London Excel and welcome all feedback.

We are in the process of converting the beds to the new Ibis Sweet bed and this will enhance the experience further with a new comfortable bed and mattress.

Our pub does have some daily specials as does the Steak House Restaurant, with the best accommodation rates and deals available at Ibis.com.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed here for 1 night whilst attending a trade show at the excel.
Hotel was fine really and the reception staff were helpful and friendly. Check in was very busy though the staff worked quickly and efficiently .
Television in room did not work but was attended to very promptly, chap told me the tellies and wifi are due to be upgraded. I spoke to other guests at the lift who had a few problems and they too had been advised that lots of upgrades and refurbishments due.
I had a quiet and comfortable night BUT would have found the bed far to small had I been staying with my partner.... Only an ordinary double! I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel that had double beds and not king size.
Breakfast was plentiful, hot and good.
Reception had a luggage room so we were able to leave bags on check out and pick up later, saved the inconvenience of taking with us to the excel.
Conveniently situated though no views. Would pick premier inn or other ibis by the water front if I go again. More expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel and appreciate your feedback, the best deals and prices can be seen at ibis.com for details of our advance purchase dicounts etc.

We are well located for both ExCel and the O2, so do hope if you're back in London again that we can have the opportunity to look after you again.

The hotel's refurbishment is complete, with the rolling out of the new Ibis Sweet Beds over the next months and are exremely comfortable!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Great rates at this hotel that included breakfast. Yes compared to Central London rates fantastic.

Checkin was functional pleasant and fine although guy checking me in was talking to colleagues a lot.

Hotel itself weird inside. Very odd mismatch of styles. Rooms cold, heaters buzzed loudly while trying to sleep. Bathrooms small and functional but smell from floor drain terrible. Cleaners put towel over but doesn't help. Thank god for the worlds most powerful and noisy air extractor to remove smell. However this also helped to keep me awake most of the night.

Tea and coffee facilities in room as well as good tv and phone. Rooms clean. Bed was comfortable.

Ibis "pub" was expensive and food was all cooked in same grease, i even smelt of the grease on leaving the pub. Got told id have to pay for dinner when i was ordering although i was on a dinner, b&b rate. This was soon sorted but no apology made for the challenge.

Area hotel located in not great but there were shops to buy a bottle of wine for the same price as a glass in the pub.

Breakfast minimal selection but adequate. Although coffee machine made coffee that tasted terrible.

Checkout was fine with a goodbye. Although they attempted to charge my colleague for the room again although it had already been paid.

Overall I would not choose to stay again unless price is a factor to me.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Sean O, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for the review and apologies on the delay in responding, we have since relaunched a number of items commented on including the food items and the breakfast offerings. These are still priced at high street and not hotel prices and so are significantly cheaper than at other hotels.

The rooms have all been refurbished, new beds are being rolled out and we do look forward to being of assistance again.

regards

Reviewed 21 March 2013

As mentioned in previous reviews this place is not cheap and not very good at all! Rooms are tiny, basic and beds are uncomfortable, the bathrooms smell and are tiny. The 'style' is dreadful and i found most of the staff pretty rude or unhelpful. Stayed there for an expo at Excel, on the final night of my stay I was told I had to pay the bill there and then, it was 11.45PM and my room key had been de-activated. I suggested check out the next day would be more suitable but the receptionist was insistent. When I pointed out my clothes were in the room it was ignored, I asked if I didnt pay there and then would I have to sleep outside - the response was "yes, it is company policy"! Up until that moment I had not been approached for payment and the booking was through a secure website..........
Put all of this and the huge queues at breakfast together and you get the picture - just a dreadful experience all round, it wasnt worth the £95/night i paid in fact £9/night would not have been good value!
It was clean - but is that really so demanding??? Avoid this place, there are plenty of other hotels very nearby that simply cannot be this bad.

2  Thank Mark T

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel and we are sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Would you be kind enough to contact us so that we can discuss this in more detail and look at the points raised? We are unable to trace your booking from your tripadviser profile and would like to address the issues raised.

Many thanks

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Well.....it was clean ill admit that! However I can't think of anything more positive to say. Perhaps this is indicative of all Ibis Hotels trading style, but if it is I for one will not stay in this chain again. Not that cheap.....£85 for the night. Room was VERY basic. Bed linen clean however just base sheet, pillow and very thin duvet that only just fitted the surface of the bed. There was certainly no coverage down the sides of the bed and once in it it did not even cover the width of the bed!
Room smelt either of the odour of bathroom sealant or of paint which was so bad I had to open the window to try and dissipate the fumes!
Bed was hard and uncomfortable.
Very minimal furniture and decorations.
Bathroom.....well I have never seen anything like it. A pre fabricated plastic pod that had moulded plastic fixtures and a plastic shower compartment only big enough for the most slender of people!
Breakfast was poor also.
Minimalist dining room, plastic chairs and tables and poor quality food. Cheap fruit juice, small selection of fruit and yogurt, powdered re constituted scrambled egg, sausages that I am surprised have enough meat content in to legally call them sausages and bacon that was dried up and like cardboard.
To top it all off on checkout they charges me an extra £10 to park my car in their car park for the night.
I have stayed in some poor quality hotels in my time, but this is quite frankly the poorest hotel that is only there for profit margins not the comfort of guests.
Even Ryan Air would have to significantly drop their quality to match this if they were in the hotel game......no frills.....you ain't kidding!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank UKFoodExporter

Thank you for taking time to post a review of the hotel and we are sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

The hotel has completed its refurbishment in February this year and we are now introducing the new Ibis Sweet beds over the next few months, the first rooms on the 5th floor are being fitted over the Easter period.

I have forwarded your feedback to our breakfast and our housekeeping team and would welcome a chance to discuss this matter in more detail.

Do call us and we will be happy to assist you and address any concerns you had about your stay with us and do look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I feel so sorry for the staff here. They are so nice and so polite but the hotel is a disaster zone. It has been only partially refurbished since its name change and the refurb is woefully incomplete! It is also mostly hideous. I moved rooms twice in 2 days (pretty OTT for me) and did not get one night's decent sleep. The first room was over a ventilation shaft and noisy, the second had not been refurbished and was freezing at night and the third was fine but the bathroom stank to high heaven! Choice of food was fat & carbs all the way so I ate elsewhere for dinner. Breakfast was an awful bun fight with terrible coffee. I gave up and ate at Excel during the day. Sorry, I cannot recommend this place to anyone but I do hope the staff leave and get better jobs elsewhere, because they are a very nice team and deserve better!

Room Tip: Make sure it is a refurbished room and choose a higher floor. Floor 5 still has old rooms. Avoid...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Sean O, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Thank you for the review of our hotel and apologies for the delay in responding to this and are sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

The hotel has been completely refurbished, all the rooms were completed in January of this year as were all the public areas except for the Pub and the Steak House Restaurant. Part of this did include the provision of FREE internet access and Wi-Fi in the public areas, previously charged at £10.

Our menus, enhanced breakfast choices and the addition of the new coffee shop have added to the appeal of the hotel and we'd like to take an opportunity to look after you again in the future.

The new ibis sweet bed is being rolled out over the rest of the year and this with the improvements already made, will add to the value of the stay, generally these have been welcomed by our past and new guests.

Thank you again and please don'y hesitiate to contact us regarding any future stays and we'd be delighted to look after you.