“Lovely comfortable room, sumptuous reception area, poor breakfast”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #79 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The bedrooms and en suites were lovely, comfy beds, fluffy towels, good shower, nice toiletries and the staff on reception very attentive. The room rate seemed very expensive to me but I don't often stay in London hotels so it may well be standard. Our room with two double beds in it, so slept us and our two children, should have been about £430 but we paid half that, booking it through tripadvisor.

The breakfast, however, was incredibly expensive for what it was. The breakfast staff were over attentive, removing plates before you'd even finished your mouthful and had chance to put your cutlery down. The continental table looked amazing but there was no way to toast the lovely bagels. The full English breakfast was a total let down, with watery poached eggs, one sausage, one rasher and a spoonful of mushrooms (which were delicious). No toast is offered and there's no facility to make your own. The first coffee which came had to be sent back as it was cold and weak. A real shame.

This hotel, however, is in a wonderful spot for touring London and my children were fascinated with Scotland Yard. I would stay again (at the reduced rates) but I wouldn't bother with breakfast.

1  Thank LadyPB
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2011

Dear Madam,
I am really pleased that you were so impressed by the hotel facilities and that you had such a comfortable stay. Our family rooms have become extremely popular and our beds seem to get a big thumbs-up from our guests.
Apologies that you didn’t enjoy your breakfast. We have noted your comments about the toasting facilities and there is now a toaster in place for the lovely bagels!
I am happy that you will be returning and thank you for your constructive comments.
Kind regards
Douglas McHugh

Write a ReviewReviews (5,885)

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Didn't actually stay in the hotel, just stopped in with four other colleagues for lunch in the newly refurbished restaurant. Nice surroundings to eat in and the staff were very friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Food was of a high standard and wasn't overly expensive. The flourless chocolate torte was so good I'd have paid twice the amount!

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank not4roaduse
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Dear Sir/ Madam,
It was very kind of you to write a review about our new restaurant. As we are so young in our journey it is extremly good to hear that we have hit all the right spots for you! I have just run up to the kitchen and told our pastry chef your great comments regarding the chocolate torte (which has become very poplular), so thank you for letting me know your views.
I hope you will be visiting us again soon,

Reviewed 24 July 2011

We have just returned from a sightseeing trip to London with our 9 year old daughter. The hotel was nothing short of perfect! Ideally located - 5 minutes from Buckingham palace in one direction and 5 mins from the Houses of Parliment and Westminster in the other.
Staff at the hotel were all very friendly, treated us well and we even got an upgrade to a suite on arrival! The communal areas at the hotel are oppulent and it is evident that no expense has been spared on the refurbishment.
Our room was simply stunning, spacious, decoration was lovely and all feels brand spanking new ! (Oh and White Company toiletries, which saves taking you own! )
We decided to stay for breakfast at the hotel - it is a little pricey, but superb quality , plenty of it, so good value.
Leaving our luggage at the hotel today whilst we went sightseeing was not a problem. We will definitely be staying here again! One of the best hotel experiences we have had !

6  Thank MacFarlanes3

Dear Madam,
I am really pleased that you and your family had such a pleasant stay with us and I will pass on your wonderful comments to my team. We try to make our guests feel welcome and at home and it sounds from your positive feedback that we were successful!
Our team of designers did work very hard to create an opulent space and our White Company products have proven very popular. I am glad you found the suite and facilities to a perfect standard!
We are very proud of our new restaurant The Caxton Grill and the menu price reflects the quality (and quantity!) we use.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future,
Warm regards

Reviewed 24 July 2011

My wife and I stayed for two nights at this fantastic hotel. It is ideally situated, being a short stroll from the Houses of Parliament and the river Thames. Another short stroll to the right of the hotel's entrance will take you to Buckingham Palace.New Scotland Yard, H.Q. of the Metropolitan Police is just around the corner. There are a few typical "old fashioned" pubs within easy distance. I have mobility issues and use a mobility scooter my needs were catered for perfectly.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David H

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words. I am very happy that you had a pleasant stay and that your mobility needs were catered for.
We are in a perfect spot for taking a stroll to see the major tourist sites and I have personally tested a few of the pubs that you mention! They are great because they are traditional old English drinking establishments rather than the ‘chain’ bars that seem to have taken over many parts of the city.

We shall look forward to welcoming you again,

Best Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2011

It's a great hotel in terms of Location and the staff at the hotel are truly impressive. (I had the door opened to the taxi for the first time and was greeted by name. I hadn't even been to the hotel before and it was a truly impressive moment for me). I did not get the usual room upgrade that one gets with A-Club Gold but it didn't really matter honestly. The room I got was great as was the service. Room Service was quite good and served a great snack when I wanted it.

3  Thank teaearlgreyhot
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

Dear Sir,
I am so happy that you were impressed with my team. We try to make our guests feel as special and as comfortable as possible and I am proud that we were able to deliver this to you throughout your stay.
Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on Trip Advisor.
We do hope you will return in the near future,

Reviewed 17 July 2011

First the good: St. Ermins' location is perfect for walking to many nearby sights and the red line tube stop is just a block away. London is so big, but we never felt like we were far away. The hotel staff is really amazing. Everyone was very helpful and a pleasure to talk to . The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are nicely furnished (if large enough)

Now the bad: The hotel is still under construction. Our stairway was unpainted and the lighting didn't work. The "breakfast area" is far too small and the offerings are minimal. I'm guessing real dining area is still undergoing remodeling. Our first night we had to change rooms twice. The first room didn't have working AC, the second room had a running toilet. The thrid room was very nice but the multiple change was not good. Additionally the first two rooms were just too small for the beds. It was difficult to naigate around the room and in fact we couldn't get past the end of one bed with a desk chair pulled out more than a few inches.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again unless I saw a picture of the room in advance.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SunnySkiesAhead

Dear Sir/ Madam
I am very pleased that you were treated well by my team and that you were so impressed with the service, I shall pass on your positive feedback to them.
It is disappointing to know that you were not happy with the hotel as it was. I think that when you visited us we were in our earlier stages, but the hotel has now matured and all of the issues you have mentioned have now been rectified
You will be pleased to know that our new restaurant, The Caxton Grill, is now open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the dining space seats 80.
I truly hope that you will return to St Ermin’s one day and thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed here in June 2011 after a trip to Spain & France. The Hotel had spent a huge amount of money on a total refurbishment _ what a magnificent job they had done.
Even though an old Hotel the refurb was so smart & chic- colours were so gorgeous & rooms inviting.
Staff were very helpful & the Concierge Lee a real gem - my husband requested a ticket to Wimbledon & Lee was able to produce a ticket for Day 1 on Centre Court.
All in all very close to many tourist attractions - Westminster Abbey, Big Ben ,Buckingham Palace & Scotland Yard is directly opposite.

I can highly recommend St Ermin's Hotel & will stay there again when in London.

They treat you like Royality !!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dinkydi22

Dear Madam,
Wow! Thank you for you fabulous review! I shall certainly let the design team hear about your great comments regarding the hotel interior.
I am very pleased that Lee was able to get you and your husband a ticket to Wimbledon and I hope you had a good time watching the tennis.
I really appreciate that you will be recommending St.Ermin’s to others and we will try to keep up the Royal service!