“Nice quiant hotel and near Buckingham and West Minster” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #77 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Baltimore
“Nice quiant hotel and near Buckingham and West Minster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We reserved a queen bed, the room was small but quaint, cozy and clean. The hotel is very near the several tourist spots and walking distance to the subway. There is a nearby starbucks and convenient stores too. We were just there for 1 night but wouldn't mind staying longer.

I just noticed that the front desk is not well trained to provide tourist directions. Granting that they mostly have London tourists, they should be ready to provide train and airport information. When we asked how to get to Stansted airport, the front desk was unsure of the train station that she provided and pointed us to the Concierge. The Concierge has been expecting to get us a cab. Im not sure why it is always a cab they are initially offering. Commission? But eventually after telling him we are okay to take the train, we were told to go to Liverpool then take the Stansted express there.

Room Tip: For folks who minds a long walk, request to be located near the elevators. The rooms can go a long...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CelinaKyle
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Celina,
I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room cosy and very clean. My housekeeping team work hard to ensure that all rooms have a high level of cleanliness and I am very proud of them. I note that you would love to stay longer and it would be our pleasure to have you stay.
I was very surprised to read your comment regarding directions as my team are generally excellent at providing these and thank you for bringing this to my attention as it is important for me to know.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Douglas McHugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel comes with its own bit of history.
It's in a really good location in the heart of Westminster, near Westminster Brisge and the London eye.
Inside, the immediate entrance is stunning with a huge white-marble staircase.
The hotel is really well decorated and is nice.
I wasn't too impressed by the bar. You could have been in a London pub and not spotted the difference. I don't know what I expected but the bar was nowhere as opulent-looking as the rest of the hotel and it was a bit cramped, but service was really good. Just don't order the local London Ale. I personally took one sip and immediately ordered something decent to drink. That's not the hotel's fault in any way, just the local brew.
The rooms were a good size and the bed was really comfortable.
The breakfast service was quite poor and the ordered hot food (which cost extra) took ages to arrive and my friends ended up cancelling their Eggs Benedict as they took even longer than my cooked breakfast.
The cold buffet breakfast was a let-down and there wasn't much to choose from, so that was a bit of a black-mark for the hotel.
I would still recommend the hotel for everything other than the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Eebz1
Dear Sir/Madam,
It’s so good that you mentioned the history that the St. Ermin’s has as not everyone realises how historic we are especially being built in the 1800’s originally as an apartment building and also how we had a good connection with Winston Churchill and his war cabinet.
It made me happy to read that you liked your room and found it a good size and really comfortable.
I was sorry to read your comments about breakfast as it is not indicative of our service levels in the Caxton Grill and I will speak to my team about this and thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Thank you for recommending us to others and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

What a superhotel to stay! The location is perfect, many attractions are within walkingdistance, like the Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, London Eye, Buckingham Palace etc. But there's a tube station just a few steps away and Victoria Station (easy acces to Gatwick airport) is within a 15 minute walk. It's a quiet and nice area.

The hotel itself does everything to make your stay perfect! It has a very nice and luxerious atmosphere and the rooms are beautiful and spotless! The bed was perfect, as well as the rainshower!! Very good coffee and tea in your room and just some more little details like a bathrobe, slippers and luxerious shampoo etc. to make your stay extra pleasant! The hotel is really quiet, so a very good place for a relaxing stay! For Londonmatters the room is also very spacious, in this area space is expensive, so a room of this size and with a large bathroom is perfect! The kingsize bed was even a little too big for us ;-)

They also have good working free-wifi, so easy if you want to stay online!

We booked the hotel on a promotional deal, because otherwise it costs a lot more, so check the internet for a good deal! I don't know if i would pay the full price, allthough it's a very comfortable hotel. Breakfast was 20 pounds for continental and 24 for English breakfast, I did'nt see the breakfast, so I don't know what you get for it. But in the area are many good places to have breakfast for just a little money!

London is really great! So enjoy!!

2 Thank Corina82
Dear Corina,
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at St. Ermin’s and I am really really pleased your loved your room allocated and found all of the luxury amenities, such as bathrobes, slippers and tea/Coffee an added bonus to your stay.
I am glad you enjoyed the free wifi use and found this met with your needs. We feel that the hotel is a relaxing place to be, so it’s great you thought so too. We are very lucky with our location as although in the centre of London it feels like your own little peaceful haven
It is a shame that you couldn’t take breakfast with us as we have a really wide Continental selection as well as hot choices. Perhaps next time round.
It would be lovely to welcome you back.
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

A birthday treat, right in the heart of London and five minutes from Westminster. The Junior Suite was lovely the bed was so so comfortable and the whole place oozes charm, loved it, the staff were great and all very helpful and warm and friendly. The bars were good and lively til late. I would highly recommend

2 Thank GrahamV54
Dear Graham,
Thank you for your very lovely review following your stay with us.
I am pleased that you really liked your Junior Suite and found this very comfortable.
Your comments regarding how charming the hotel is and how warm and friendly my team are really warmed my heart as we work hard to achieve this kind of service for each guest.
I would like to thank you for recommending us to others and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back when you next visit London.
Warm Regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

In the 17 years since I last stayed at St Ermins, it has (thankfully) been transformed from dour and dated grandeur to bright and pretty elegance reminding me of some of the old, uptown hotels of NYC. It has the potential to be one of the nicest 4 star hotels in which to stay; the room (deluxe double) was large, and the decor throughout inoffensive and fresh. Bathroom was particularly clean and smart. Bed was comfortable and supportive (I have back issues). Staff on the main desk were abundant, friendly - without being over familiar - polite and helpful. The hotel is let down slightly by what is possibly a franchised restaurant (Cacton Grill), where the decor-out performs the food and particularly the service; The full English was, disappointingly, not freshly cooked (even Premier Inn gets that right) and the service was at best laissez faire / worst negligent, and a sharp contrast to the hotel staff. We would stay there again as it is in a great location; we had a delightful walk through St James, up Regents St to Shaftsbury Ave in just over 20 mind. My recommendation - stay at the hotel by all means but breakfast out elsewhere; oh, and if you're a couple wanting a bit of piece and quiet in the morning, don't stay in the rooms near or bedside the lift lobby.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of piece and quiet in the mornings, don't stay in the rooms near or bedside th...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vix002
Dear Madam,
I was so pleased to read that you chose to return to the St. Ermin’s Hotel after such a long time. We have spent a large amount of money on our refurbishment and several guests have commented on how different and improved it is.
I was so sorry to read that the décor in the Caxton Grill was not to your liking and that you found breakfast not as good as it should have been. We do receive some lovely comments from guests about how lovely the Caxton Grill & Bar are and also how wonderful our breakfast is. I can assure you that this is not indicative of our service levels and I can only apologise to you on behalf of my team the problems you encountered during breakfast.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in London and look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel. We only stayed one night on London but thought the hotel was very clean and had a beautiful exterior and lobby lit up with lights which felt festive! Staff were helpful and welcoming, rooms were reasonably spacious and nicely decorated, and the beds were very comfortable after a long day in the capital! Thanks for a lovely stay, St Ermins!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chloe,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us.
It’s great to read that you found all of my team very welcoming and helpful. I work very closely with them to achieve a high standard of service and to ensure that all guests feel individual and special.
I am glad that you found your room to your liking and that our beds were very comfortable. We do receive some very nice comments about these.
It was our pleasure to take care of you during your stay.
Los Angesles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

The St. Ermins is a beautiful looking hotel in an ideal location. The lobby is amazing, it has a beautiful staircase that is "picture ready" so much so that there was a bride and groom there taking their pictures. The rooms are quite nice and it has a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was included in my price and it was very good.
The hotel is just around the corner from the St. James Tube stop and is in walking distance to many of the main sites.
If you are in London when Buckingham Palace is open to the public definitely take the tour, its worth the money. Take in a West End show and take an open bus tour of the city. Other things to do is watch the Changing of the Guards, walk around Convent Garden, go to Kensington gardens/palace, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Parliament tour, see Big Ben, go to the Portobello Street market and there is so much more to do. Remember all museums in London are free so try to spend some time in the British Museum and Tate Museum. London is a city that mixes the old with the new in a way that is just a beautiful site to see in itself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LovesToTravelAround
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am so pleased to read that you loved our very beautiful lobby with its grand staircase leading to the balcony. We do receive lots of lovely comments about this, so thank you for yours.
I see you found your room very comfortable and that your breakfast that was included in your rate was to your liking.
I agree we are in a great location for sightseeing as can get to almost everywhere from the St. Ermin’s either by foot or local transportation.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.