“Superb all round”

Ranked #77 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Superb all round”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Welcomed from the moment I walked through the front gates to the hotel. Everyone was so helpful. Room was superb, food was superb, quite frankly no complaints and I would definitely stay again. Had I not been travelling on business, it would be the perfect location for getting around london; 2 minutes from St James Park underground, 2 minutes from Big Ben etc etc.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the Ground Floor near reception or you get to hear everyone talking!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the very lovely title of your review “Superb all round”. It is appreciated.

I see from your comments that you found your room, food and my team just graet.

It was a great pleasure to look after you and we really look forward to welcoming you back again on a future visit to London.

Douglas McHugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

St. Ermin’s is an amazing hotel in a great location with a staff that is courteous and attentive to your every need. My family and I stayed here at the end of June 2013 as the kickoff to our 3 week holiday and our first time in London. Our room was ready when we arrived and after a long flight we were happy to have a room with 2 bathrooms to get freshened up. The room was very clean and the beds were quite comfortable. The convenient location made it easy to walk everywhere we needed to go. Even though the hotel was quite busy the staff always made you feel like you were important. I am looking forward to my next visit to London and can hopefully stay at St. Ermin’s again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shadsterrr
Hi There,
It’s wonderful that you stayed in one of our beautiful family rooms which all have two queen beds, 1 day bed and two bathrooms which makes them ideal for up to four people who wish to share a room. Glad you liked it.
I am so pleased that you found all of my team very friendly and welcoming. I work very closely with them to achieve this level of service as it is important to all of us that our guests feel at home.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you back to the St. Ermin’s when you next visit London.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on business at this very well located hotel just minutes from Westminster, Victoria.
Hotel is somewhat tucked away but a real treat once found, a very impressive entrance courtyard and reception area awash with nice touches and very elegantly furnished.
Room was a little on small size, hey this is Central London, but very nicely furnished and comfortable. Bathroom again well appointed and spotlessly clean with good products provided.
Breakfast excellent, form teh buffet usual wide choice catering to all tastes. Coffee however was awful! Seemed they could only serve up a really bitter blend, not sure what it was but everyone I spoke to commented on it.
Eat in teh hotel one night (a dinner catered for 40 people) was impressed with the quality of food and service was also impeccable. Lunches (again buffet style were ok).
Location is really good for tourists, being minutes walk from Westminster and very well served by St James and Victoria tube stations.

Hi Martyn,

Thank you for your very lovely review following your recent business trip to London.

It makes me really happy to read that you thought the hotel although in a quiet street off of the main road was very impressive. We thought very hard when we refurbished the hotel to keep the original charm that it had as being a grade II listed building it would have been a shame to have taken this away. So pleased you liked every little touch and our beautiful courtyard entrance too.

I note that you thought your room was a little on the small size. We do have many different categories of room at St. Ermin’s and they are all different in shape, size, location and view due to the unique way in which the hotel was built. Please do check with us when you stay next as one of our other categories may be a little larger for you. However I am pleased that you found your room had great bathroom products and that it was comfortable for you.

It’s really great to see your comment about how impressed you were with the food provided for the dinner you were invited to one evening during your stay as well as our buffet lunches which were part of your meeting. We do receive some lovely comments from delegates who attend meetings and events here so thank you.

It would be a pleasure to look after you again when you next visit London on business.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 April 2014

St. Ermin's is a gorgeous hotel with beautifully appointed rooms, an incredible location, and a very nice staff. The doorman, (Patrick Tucker, I believe that was his name) was so pleasant, helpful, and very nice to talk to about local, British life. The concierge was also helpful and helped us to print out our boarding passes. We stayed in a deluxe double/double room and had 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) with plenty of room and comfort. We did not eat at the hotel, but the menus looked wonderful at all of the venues. We will definitely recommend this hotel to friends visiting London and hope to return someday soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi There,
It’s so great to read that you found your Deluxe Double Double room was spacious and very comfortable for you, your wife and 2 children during your stay.
I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to Patrick as he will be very pleased to read them.
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and next time you really must have dinner in the Caxton Grill our Head Chef Adam Handling is always creating new & exciting dishes, so I am sure you will enjoy it.
I certainly look forward to welcoming you friends and yourselves to the hotel when you all next visit London.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 30 April 2014

History all around you in this lovely hotel!
It was updated yet maintained a charming historic feel. The service staff was constantly cleaning and re-stocking for your every need. The concierge staff very friendly and helpful in knowing where places were, how long it would take to get there and offering suggestions on days to plan events in order to get the most out of them. Enjoyed breakfast every morning with the same waite staff and same seat in the resturant...made me feel welcomed as they greeted me by name! Appreciated the updated bath. Stayed 6 nights and felt at home.
My favorite spots were the Grand Stairway and the beautiful courtyard garden!!!!

Hi Sherry,
I think it is just wonderful that we made you feel so welcome and at home during your stay. We love our guests to feel part of our St. Ermin’s family.
I am glad to see that you made good use of my very knowledgeable concierge team and that they were able to help with all the trips you wished to plan. I am proud of them.
I work closely with my team to ensure that we always greet our guests by name as it is that special touch that you do not find in many places these days, so pleased you liked it.
The hotel does have an awful lot of history surrounding it and we like to keep this as part of our charm. We have lots of snippets of the history around the hotel and guests do like to read this and learn more. It’s nice to hear you liked this.
Thank you for commenting on our lovely staircase which leads to our balcony and terrace from the lobby. This is part of our Victorian charm as the hotel was built in the 1800’s and is a grade II listed building so we kept this as a feature as you enter the hotel.
I do hope you will be able to visit London again and when you do it would be a pleasure to have you stay with us.
Texas
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is one of our favorite hotels in Europe.
The location is so convenient to sight seeing and the staff extremely helpful with all our tourist questions. The rooms were excellent, very clean and a reasonable size. If you like hearty breakfasts, get the breakfast program because their breakfast options were wonderful!
Strongly recommend this hotel if you want a nice location and good service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pam W
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Hi Pam,
What a lovely thing that you have made us one of you favourite hotels in Europe. Thank you!
It’s great that you found your rooms to your liking and that they were very clean and a good size for you.
We do receive many comments about our breakfasts, especially how much there is to choose from on both our Continental and English options. I am pleased you enjoyed them.
Thank you for recommending us to others and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again when you are next in London.
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Beautiful hotel, but sadly has lost those extra special finishing touches that I have experienced many times before when it was part of the Accor portfolio and which made it well worth the rate. Sadly I think I will be looking for a new 'favourite'.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen D
Hi Helen,
I was surprised to read your comments about the hotel being different since becoming and Autograph property.
I can assure you that the hotel has not changed at all since leaving the Accor group. We still have the same owners, same management team, same standards in service and the same philosophy and I am sorry that you feel it has changed in some way.
Kind regards