“Amazing experience”

Ranked #75 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We arrived for 2 nights with 2 children in tow. Firstly we arrived 3 hours before check in but even though we couldn't have our room they took our bags and gave the children a treasure hunt pack to start. The place from arrival to check out was pure luxury. We were upgraded to an amazing suite with two massive bathrooms, dining room, two plasma TV's and a nice welcome note. The breakfast was expensive so we chose to grab a pastry from next door but overall it was gorgeous and so central to everything. Can't wait to go and visit again. My kids were also blown away by it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank familygirl_220
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hi There,

I am over the moon that you had such an amazing stay with us.

It's great that we could upgrade you to a suite on arrival and that you loved having the extra space especially with two children.

I note that my reception team gave our spy packs to the children and I hope they managed to find all the answers to the clues. There is such much history here especially spy history.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit London.

Dougkas McHugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The reviews are true. The great location of St. Ermin Hotel and the wonderful hotel experience is what sets this hotel apart from the others. My brother, his wife and two small children traveled from Japan, and I traveled from Seattle to enjoy a six day stay in London. My brother chose this hotel due to it's location and great reviews. We enjoyed every day of our stay.

Things we loved:

The close proximity to famous landmarks (Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, The Tower of London, just to name a few) and transportation (St. James tube, buses) makes St. Ermin's Hotel a great place to stay. After a long day of sightseeing, it was a great relief to turn a corner and see the hotel just a block or two away.

Close proximity to Starbuck’s, cafes and quick pick-up and go items like yogurt and sandwiches at Pret de Manger.

Friendly, accommodating staff. Every person I spoke to was very kind and friendly. I felt I could approach anyone without feeling as if I was inconveniencing them. It all happens in the front of the house. They set the tone.

We loved the Afternoon Tea and Children's Tea. We enjoyed our tea outdoors on the second floor patio under the large umbrellas. I mentioned beforehand that we had a person celebrating her birthday. The wait staff accommodated by bringing out a complimentary dessert with a Happy Birthday candle and message written in chocolate on the dessert plate. When we asked for a box for our few leftover scones and sweet desserts, they kind wait staff returned and gave us three boxes filled with more scones and desserts to enjoy which was unexpected and quite generous! We gladly ate them in the morning for breakfast.

Nice gym for a great work out with available filtered water and free apples

Ice chilled lemon water in lobby for guests after a long day

Complimentary coffee and tea bar (hotel will deliver fresh milk to your room per your request).

Large screen tv displays your name with a warm welcome

Rain shower in Room 622 was a nice surprise

Dimmer lights on bed stand lamps

Electric converters

Slippers and robes

Umbrellas at concierge was helpful

Invisible cleaning staff. Noticed that rooms are inspected by a staff manager throughout the day to ensure rooms are impeccable.

Frequently used small side elevator that could fit the five of us (3 adults, 2 small kids). It felt like our own private elevator since no one hardly used it.

Things that could be improved:

Room 622 (one double bed) and Room 628 (two double beds) were nice sized rooms. However, the only views were the buildings and rooftops next door.

Room 628 door lock would get stuck and we had to struggle on a daily basis to reopen it with the key.

Rooms are quiet. However, since the doors are solid so you can hear doors open and close throughout the day. Wish they had some way that doors could close quietly.

Room Tip: We will ask for a courtyard room on the 6th floor the next time we visit.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 726CynthiaT
Hi Cynthia,

Thank you so very much for your lovely review following your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to look after you and your family.

I am pleased that overall you liked your rooms and yes please do ask for a room overlooking our most beautiful courtyard next time round as being a centrally located London hotel many of our rooms overlook other buildings.

Thank you for letting me know about the room key not working properly in your door I will have our maintenance team look at this to ensure it is ok for the future.

I see you took both our adult and children's afternoon tea and you enjoyed all the scones, sandwiches and desserts provided. It's great to hear that my team provided you with your take out boxes at the end due to you not completely finishing everything. Our scones are especially nice so love the fact you had them for breakfast.

My whole team will be delighted to read your review and I am very proud of how they all make our guests feel at home and relaxed during their stay with us.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another visit. You must take the children to see our bee & bee hotel on the third floor next time...that is if you didn't this time.

See you soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stunning boutique hotel in the PERFECT location - so why not 5 stars? They failed on the details. As gold Marriott members we were "upgraded" from the room we had purchased, and breakfast was now included with our room. We were given room 110 on the back of the hotel, down from the tea room where the waitress slammed the door EVERYTIME she went back into the kitchen. So it was impossible to rest in the afternoon. This was an upgrade?? Thankfully, our air conditioning wasn't working, and for our inconvenience we were upgraded to a junior suite facing the courtyard. So 5 stars for customer service to fix the problem for us. In our new suite, the bathtub failed to drain - I left the plug out thinking housekeeping would notice (she did wash the tub out herself - did she not notice it didn't drain), no service was done, and it was a bit dicey trying to get out of the tub with 2 inches of water, slimy with shampoo, soap and conditioner. Housekeeping didn’t leave fresh paper coffee cups (or take the dirty ones) and didn’t leave face cloths. No turndown service, so we didn’t get the forgotten items or new towels when we went out in the evening. So to finish off the critique of the rooms – the pictures don’t do it justice – I thought they were really nice, quality beds and bedding, I was pleased with them and the décor. BUT it is a refurbished older hotel, so you do hear guests and the doors slamming up and down your hall way.

More lack of detail: We went down to the stunning courtyard terrace for drinks, and ordered chips/guac and a bowl of cashews and hazelnuts. A Barbie sized bowl of CRUSHED taco chips and CANDIED peanuts/hazelnuts arrived. We complained at the nuts - seriously candied peanuts?, and they were taken off the bill. Since the crushed chips had full sized chips on top – we didn’t notice at first. The wait staff was painfully slow, and we were pushed for time, so we just paid and left. Another detail – asked concierge for a price for a car service to LHR and was quoted 100 GBP. Seemed a bit high to me, so I searched through my emails and found the car service we used 2 years ago – price was 50 GBP. I heard some other guests ask about tickets to a play and he offered to sell 2 (that he had) for 250 GBP each. They said that they were 69 GBP on line. So seriously, I wouldn’t use the concierge, they are getting big kick backs on the services they are offering.

I would definitely stay again, with knowing what I know about the hotel, the location, the rooms, etc. I think we hit a kind of "perfect storm" of turn offs. Would give them the opportunity to make it right for us in the future!

Room Tip: DO NOT accept a room in the 100 level, close to the tea room, VERY NOISY. Don't trust concierg...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank torav
Hi There,

Thank you for your very constructive feedback, which I take very seriously.

I can assure you that this really isn't indicative of our service levels and I will speak to all the relevant managers regarding each point you have raised.

I am pleased that overall you seemed to have enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return without a doubt.

I know that I can speak for my team and say they loved looking after whilst you were here and are looking forward to you returning and welcoming you as part of our St. Ermin's family.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is wonderfully located close to the St James Park tube station, you can take the tube from Heathrow and avoid the high price tag of a cab, transfer from the piccadilly line at Hammersmith where you can just go to the other side of the platform to catch the district train. The staff were VERY helpful when the air conditioning system broke down (on the hottest day of the year), moving us to an area of the hotel where it was working, although there were no family rooms in the other area. Loved the family room, wish there was one on the other side of the hotel available. Every other aspect of the hotel was perfect, especially the cold flavored water in the lobby that you can have after returning from a long hot day sightseeing. If I had to choose again, I would still pick the St Ermin, just request a family room with room numbers great than 30 IE) 330+.

Room Tip: Rooms with numbers greater than 30 IE 330+ have newest air conditioning system. Rooms lower than 30...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TMS1967
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hi There,

It seems you managed to find your way around really easily, which is great. We are in a really good location for all the main attractions and as you say it is very easy on the tube which is a few minutes walk.

I am so sorry to hear that we had to move you to alternative rooms due to our air conditioning breaking down. Unfortunately we had to move several guests due to this unforseen systrm failure. However I am pleased to hear that my team handled this well and looked after you.

I see you had one of beautiful family rooms which are very popular as more roomy than others. It is a shame we could not offer the same in our other wing due to them being full. However I am glad that this did not detract from the enjoyment of your stay.

Thank you for mentioning our newly installed flavoured iced water dispenser in the lobby area. I agree with you it is a delight on a hot day when you arrive back.

It was a pleasure fo have you stay with us and please do come back and see us again soon.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We had a great stay at the St Ermins. We drove from Manchester and had the car valet parked which was fast and efficient and they brought it to us when we needed it over the weekend. The room was very spacious with two large double beds and a lovely marble bathroom. Also, the reception is very grand and airy. The doormen/bell boys were very friendly and would help you with travel and recommend restaurants.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay and great value for money and this is the second time I have stayed here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nickylou1991
Hi Nicky,

How wonderful that not only did you return to stay with us for a second time, but you had a girlie weekend with us.

I am so pleased that my doormen and concierge team helped you with all your arrangements from valet parking your car to suggesting restaurants. I have a great team here and am very proud of them.

Glad you really loved your double double room and found this spacious enough for you to share.

We can't wait for you to return to your St.Ermin's family soon...don't leave it too long.

General, Manager
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very attractive hotel, convenient for St James' tube & park. Didn't get off to a good start with room 220 - a corner room just about OK for one, but not in my opinion a 'superior' room for two. If this would be an issue for you do check in advance. We were offered the 'opportunity' to upgrade for £50 more per night, now this was a special 3 night stay at £180 per night & we are not rich, so turned it down. Later a room was available at the same standard (359) which was far better.
All of the staff were very pleasant,especially those serving the delicious,£34 each, Afternoon Tea. This was accompanied by Pimms - a nice take on an old idea.

Room Tip: Not 220 or it's equivalent!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jan43_10
Hi Jan,

I was pleased to read that on the whole you had a really enjoyable time St.Ermin's.

It's a shame that you didn't find your first room to your liking and I am pleased that we were able to move you to an alternative when one became available. Due to the very unique way in which our grade II listed building was built all of our rooms vary in size, shape and view, this also varies depending on category booked.

So glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea with a glass of Pimms This is a very popular past time these days both in our lovely tea lounge and on our peaceful outside terrace.

I would love for you to return for another stay, but please do call our reservations team to discuss the room sizes and categories before you make your booking. They will be plessed to help.

Warm regsrds
Douhlas McHugh
Genersl Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for one night in March before heading off to the North. The hotel boasts an extremely convenient location - it's just a few minutes' walk from Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, 10 Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, and most of the touristic places in London is within short reach via the tube, which is built right next to the hotel. This hotel has a lot of history as can be seen from the glamorous decor of the lobby, the restaurant, and the rooms. The afternoon tea at the tea lounge is one of the best I've had in London. My room was small and lacked a view but the interior was brand new, cozy, and graciously appointed. This is a fantastic Marriott property and offers reasonable, affordable rates compared to other hotels in the area. As a Marriott gold member, I was offered complimentary continental breakfast and the food was terrific!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank fzwa1964
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hi There,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to St. Ermin's for your recent visit to London.

I was so happy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from our location (which is ideal), your room that you thought was excellent and beautifully furnished, to our very scrumptious Afternoon Tea.

Please do visit us again soon we would love to see you again.