“Terrific location for a fantastic hotel.”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #77 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Edgewater, New Jersey
“Terrific location for a fantastic hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was pleasantly surprised how conveniently located the hotel was. Since it was nestled between Buckingham palace and Westminster abbey I was pleased as to how quiet the neighborhood was...and safe since Scotland Yard is around the corner. St James underground is very close as it the Victoria coach station (within walking distance or underground stop) is you are sightseeing and the London eye is just across the Westminster Bridge. The staff was wonderful and reacted immediately to an issue I had. My room included a full English breakfast buffet each morning.....and was delightful. The hotel has an old world elegant charm and doesn't disappoint. Should be be a rainy day, they are quick to offer umbrellas to keep you dry. Aside from the hotel restaurant, there are many choice to dine in the immediate area. The underground is a great way to travel around town.

Room Tip: All rooms have their own charm....but the westside does face another building.
Green Features: The hotel staff was most attentive to all my requests. They do give you the option to change out sheets and towels daily.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary07020
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hi Mary,
I was so very pleased to read that you found us in an ideal location especially as so many of the attractions you wished to see are on our doorstep.
It was an absolute pleasure having you stay and I am glad that you loved everything from my team who looked after wonderfully to our restaurant and our old world charm, which we have loads of having been built in the 1800’s!
We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit from New Jersey.
Douglas McHugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,043)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have to say I was slightly disappointed, which was a shame as I was looking forward to staying soooo much.
Great location, aesthetically stunning property and I managed to secure a good rate for the time of year.
However, I was extremely disappointed with the size of the bedroom, 2 adults and 3 suits cases was a squeeze. The bathroom amenities were lovely, (The White Company, such a girl thing) but again the bathroom was small.
I also had a experience in the bar one evening, as the bar staff took our order but we had to wait 25mins and in the end we walked out. However the bar manager did run after us and encouraged us back in with our night cap on the house.
I also feel the door men and the concierge guys need a little more support as they were continually busy. Not once was my taxi door opened for me throughout my 3 night stay and when I tried to contact concierge for a contact for a Doctor, it took a little longer than expected to be given the telephone number.
Overall, not bad, but for an autograph hotel, could do better!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a larger room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill H
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hi Jill,
I am pleased that you found our location ideal and the hotel itself stunning. We receive many comments about how beautiful both inside and outside the hotel is.
However, I was very sad to read your comments regarding our service levels as this really doesn’t sound like our levels at all. We pride ourselves on our service and I can only say I am very sorry that your experience on this occasion was not as expected
We do have many different categories of room here and they all differ in shape, size and view mainly due to the unique way in which the hotel has been built way back in the 1800’s. For instance we have some beautiful rooms overlooking our courtyard, Family rooms with two queen beds & two bathrooms, Junior Suites which have a separate sitting area and then our Suites which are very spacious.
I am really pleased you loved the White Company bathroom products. They are luxurious and many guests comment on these.
I hope that you will return to the hotel as we would love to welcome you back. Please do check with our reservations team before making your booking as they will be able to advise of room categories for you.
northridge,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our stay at St Ermin's was truthful amazing a great place for a anniversary .There was champage and chocolates in the room when we arrived . W e stayed for a week easy access to everything and the staff was very helpful/

Room Tip: Rooms was over the court yard quiet
Green Features: Service was super and meals were great and the conersurir was very helpful
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hi Frannie,

It makes me so happy that you chose St. Ermin's to celebrate your anniversary.

I am glad you loved the chocolates and champagne that were in your room on arrival. We always try to make guests special occasion’s special if we are aware of them.

I will certainly pass on your feedback to my team as they will be pleased to read that you found them all helpful and that you were very happy during your week here.

Please do come back visit us again soon....we would love to see you.

Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

To: Mr. Douglas McHugh

Dir Sir,

I am sorry it has taken me almost 2 months to send this and/or post, I have just been extremely busy at work since my wonderful 12 day vacation in Europe. Including the 2 fabulous nights I stayed in your amazing hotel. As the Director of Food & Beverage at a very large Resort Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. We in this industry all have high expectations for both our resorts and those we stay at. I can not commend you enough on what I consider a top notch, world class destination you and your staff provide. As a member of the Marriott Platinum Elite member status, I was not sure what to expect upon arrival. But from check in to check out I can not say enough about how well I was taken care of. Check in took a tad bit longer than expected, as I am thinking the lovely lady was having a hard time making sure that she did her best to make sure as a Platinum Elite member, that I was taking care of. Which I was, I was upgraded from my original room, to a high level room, which I later realized, faces the court yard and one of the very few that has cute bay/alcove sitting room window in the room.

The only polite points of concern: The mini fridge in the rooms are way too small. I have picked up a bottle of Dom on my way to the hotel at duty free at Gatwick, was hoping to have a fridge to put it in, I tried ever conceivable permutation to get it in there to no avail. I suppose I could have called down to front desk to ask for a champagne bucket, but that slipped my mind.
The TV sync with the sound system is very confusing and one is half way across the room from the other, nice though and touch, but since I was not in the room that much, did not make that big a difference, just very confusing what controlled the sound bar/remote system and the TV.
Finally the water pressure in the shower. No I was not expecting Niagara Falls, but the water pressure in the showers left something to be desired, especially since they are beautifully appointed with really nice shower heads was a little of a disappointment.

Saving the best for last, now the praise:
Your staff is exceptional, professional, polite, accommodating, and gracious. I would be amiss if I did not give out and single out three exceptional:
First and foremost to Mr. Juan Bayer, Concierge. I can not say enough about how he went above and beyond in his abilities. I started conversing with him way back in March via e-mail and from that day till the day I arrived he kept in touch and was actually able to pull of getting me reservations at The Ivy and Le Caprice, to just other small touches and recommendations. Thank you Mt Bayer, your an exceptional job well done. The second accolades go to Mr. Lee Wood, Head Concierge. The day I arrived was to say the least a busy weekend with HM's Trooping of the Color, and being so close to Horse Guards Parade and other fabulous places you are central located to it was a busy weekend. It was also start of World Cup weekend, and Mr. Wood was exceptional, since Mr. Bayer was not there that first day, Mr. Wood was fantastic in helping me get some of my reservations changed at The Ivy at the last minute, to recommendations in and around the area to go see the first round of the World Cup, Mr. Wood was fantastic in helping me adjust to my first night in London and get me orientated and adjust so that I could enjoy the festivities of the next day of The Trooping of the Color and was invaluable on several tips. Mr. Wood and Mr Bayer epitomize what it means to deliver great guest service.
Finally you have a young Gentleman Bartender working both the upstairs "sports patio" on the terrace you had going on during the world cup, and evening he worked in the Caxton Bar. Adam, I am sorry I forgot your last name, but Mr. McHugh, he is a definite asset to you and your entire staff and operations. Thanks Adam for the two nights getting to hang out with you during the World Cup. Your dedication and appreciation for what you do as a Mixologist did not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Finally, all who may read this, I don't think there is a single thing that Mr. McHugh, and his amazing cadre of staff would not do to make sure you stay is above and beyond amazing. Sometimes in this industry, we can't be perfect all the time, even though we strive and try to be. Those rare occasions when we are not, sometimes just a please and a thank you goes a long way that I am sure Mr. McHugh's staff from what I have seen will go that extra mile.

Thank you for an amazing stay. I will be back for sure.

Gil. F, Maestas
Director, Food & Beverage

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CFLFun
Hi Gil,

What a pleasure it was to read your review and I quite understand the delay in posting this.

We always say it doesn't matter when a review is posted it is just lovely to hear about our guests stay.

I was so very pleased to read that you loved all aspects of your stay and thought that my team were just excellent. I work very closely with all of them to achieve high standards of service and am very proud of them all.

It is always useful to receive such extensive feedback in our industry as it helps in training and to keep our service levels to the high standard that I expect us to provide.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and I hope you will return to London from Albuquerque very soon.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Although very expensive, St. Ermin's hotel has an excellent location by the picturesque St. James' Park (as well as the tube station by the same name), in a safe, quiet neighborhood across from the New Scotland Yard. Service is friendly and the rooms nice, however breakfast is a challenge if you have any kind of allergy. Rooms are spacious and tasteful, though the tea lounge is the nicest aspect of the architecture. Little things, like the cute china tea sets, owl statue in the lobby, and bee-shaped chocolates, make St. Ermin's have a warm, homely atmosphere. Staff try to stave off the smokers who park outside the hotel lobby, despite the many prohibiting signs, though they are often unsuccessful. Overall a pleasant experience, if you're willing to fork up the cash.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank everlasting_atlas
Hi There,
It was an absolute please having you stay with us recently and I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your time both in London and at St. Ermin’s.
I am glad that you loved the tea lounge. This is a very popular pastime now and many guests visit both the tea lounge and terrace for Afternoon Tea. I agree that our tea sets are quite beautiful.
You mentioned our bee-shaped chocolates and I wondered if you paid a visit to our bees on the third floor hotel. We are very proud of them as they produce the honey that we use throughout the hotel. If you didn’t then this is a must for next time round.
We are all really looking forward to you returning to our family in the future and to looking after you once more.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We just stayed at St. Ermin's for two weeks and it started to feel like home. Positives: good location, clean rooms, upscale feeling. Negative: inconsistent service, expensive. Overall a good time and we would return.

We had booked another location for the first week and when that turned out to be a mistake we called St. Ermin's to see if they could fit us in early and they luckily could. We had originally booked a family room (two queen beds and two bathrooms) but a quick look at the size of the room made us realize that there would just not be enough room for our luggage. We were offered a junior suite on the sixth floor which had one room with a queen bed (we had them remove a bench at the end of the bed) and a living room with a couch that pulled out. The latter was not particularly comfortable but we decided it was worth having the extra space. We paid a ridiculously expensive rate that included breakfast (more on that later). The room felt upscale and was very clean.

The first issue when we walked in the room was the awful air freshener that was sprayed. Thank goodness we had four windows that opened up. They remembered not to spray any air freshener the rest of the stay. The windows did not have screens. We did not have much of a view. We could see the top of one building that had ugly mechanical things on it. Right across was an office building that I believe was part of the New Scotland Yard. The bathroom was on the small side with just a shower (we don't need bathtubs but some people might like to have the option). The products in the bathroom were totally overscented so that we went out and purchased our own soaps, shampoos etc. The towels were mostly good quality. However we did get more than one that had threads hanging off of it (unacceptable) and one with a stain and a hole (completely unacceptable). Housekeeping did a very good job of cleaning.

The queen bed was comfortable but the pillows were not. I had an issue with the bedding the entire time and could not get the staff to understand what I wanted (resulting in a visit by a nice manager). One day the sheets were not tucked in and the comforter opening (unsealed) was facing the pillows. Another day they got the comforter right (opening facing feet) but tucked the bottom sheet in such a bizarre way that it folded over at the end like a pita pocket and my feet got stuck in it at night. One day I found one of the pillows on a suitcase.

I believe that the staff is very nice and very hard working and try their best but there still are inconsistencies in service delivery. Not many of the staff are English. The language barrier is a bit of a problem.

Breakfast: There are not enough tables for all the guests so sometimes you have to wait to be seated. They provide a buffet that is not great. Covered hot food: The scrambed eggs are watery. The sausages too chewy. The potato cakes soggy. The cold uncovered food: variety of pastries (didn't try since they have gluten), cereals, cheeses, meats and fruit salad (did try and wasn't fresh enough). One day I saw little black flies swarming over the uncovered food.

Luckily, our room rate gave us the right to order breakfast off of a menu. The trouble was that many of the waiters and the "chef" seem not to be able to handle ordering off of the menu. Just getting tea took forever never mind getting your omelet. My husband likes his coffee with half and half. No half and half. On the first day they gave him "single cream" for his coffee. Tasted fine. He was happy. The rest of the two weeks they only had "double cream" which looked like feta cheese in the coffee and my husband refused it. You would think that a customer staying for TWO weeks who likes single cream could be provided with this during his stay. They could walk to the corner market and buy it for him. Not too hard. He also had trouble getting his eggs benedict cooked runny the way he likes it. I ordered the same thing every day. Tea with honey. Toasted gluten free bread with tiny jams. An omelet with onions. The toast often came half toasted. The omelet was never tasty.

The shining exception to all of the above was a British waiter named Akel. He is a rock star server who remembers exactly what you want and anticipates your needs and does it all with charm and grace. If this hotel is reading my review -- you should most certainly promote Akel to management and have him train every new hire. I also recommend a trip to the Andaz Amsterdam to see how they run the most amazing breakfasts known to man with a perfect level of service.

One morning when we were getting dressed the fire alarm went off. Probably someone smoking somewhere. All of us evacuated the hotel. The next morning while we showering the water went dead. No water on the top floors. Not sure why. We were given the key card to another room to use the shower there. We only ordered dinner room service once. They forgot the fruit salad I ordered. Gave us attitude when we called them about it and then came up with it in the end. The very nice manager, Soyful, took this and a few other things off of our bill as compensation. Thank you.

The best thing for me about this hotel was that in the bedroom it was relatively quiet. I did not hear street noise. I barely heard tv noise and talking in the hall. I slept soundly without ear plugs. Unfortunately for the part of the family sleeping in the living room it was not comfortable or quiet. Lots of door banging by guests and the cleaning staff made for early wake ups.

The lobby is beautiful. It is all white banisters and molding and reminds me of a wedding cake. I did see several brides while I was there so it obviously caters to wedding parties. Also the small garden in the center in front of the lobby is quite beautiful. Too bad people use the garden as a place to smoke.

And now for the reason that we will certainly return to stay at this hotel....LOCATION. This is the perfect location. Starbucks around the corner (so my husband can get a proper cup of coffee). You can walk to lots of interesting places. The underground tube stop is right there to take you anywhere in London. You can walk to St. James Park where we had a terrific time feeding the ducks, swans and other water fowl. And with the New Scotland Yard across the street you feel very safe :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank misanthropicdreamer
Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to write your very extensive review.

It is always good to receive constructive feedback as it helps us to ensure that things run more smoothly in the future and carry out any training necessary.

I believe that overall you did enjoy your stay as you have mentioned that you would definitely return to the hotel again in the future.

I will pass on your comments to both Akel and Soyful as they will be pleased to read them.

It would be an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us again and my team all look forward to welcoming you back and making you at home soon.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

A great location close to St James Park tube. the reception area is quite grand and the staff were helpful once past the receptionist. Our room was on the 6th floor. When we arrived it was quite overpowering with air freshener which a few hours later we realised why. - a slight damp/musty smell. We didn't complain as we were settled in our room and it was ok with the window open. Considering the location it was quiet. A great find.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingJR
Hi There,
It was a pleasure to look after you recently whilst you were in London.
I am pleased that overall you found your stay experience to be a good one and thank you for your very constructive feedback regarding your room, which I take on board and will discuss with my team.
It’s great that you thought that St. Ermin’s was a great find and we look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.