“Nice hotel”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #76 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at St Ermins - we went as two families 5 people in each.

The hotel booked us into a junior suite each at the family room rate as there were maintenance issues with the family rooms.

Nice spacious rooms, beautiful lobby, well sited in central London.

Helpful staff especially Saleh on the front desk.

Well worth a stay.

Stayed August 2014
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review.
It would seem that you all enjoyed every aspect of your stay and I am pleased that we were able to provide you with Junior Suite’s due to some maintenance issues in the Family rooms when you arrived. These are more spacious, however our Family rooms are just beautiful too.
I will certainly ensure that Saleh sees your review and we look forward to welcoming again if you are ever in London in the future.
Douglas McHugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for a family vacation visit to London - 2 adults, 2 kids. The location was perfect in that several things were within walking distance, but still out of the mainstream tourist areas. Very convenient tube stop made getting around very easy. Staff was very nice - offered drinks when we arrived and room wasn't quite ready, so my girls got to enjoy afternoon tea while I had a pint. Not a bad way to start. Room was updated and nice, although a little small - but I expected that in the middle of London. Overall, we loved it here because it was an older hotel with a lot of history, but with the modernization you expect in a Marriott. Would definitely go back.

Hi There,
Thank you for choosing St. Ermin’s to stay at whilst you were on your family vacation in London.
I am so happy to read that you found our location ideal for walking to many of the attractions that you wished to see. We are near to the tube station so it works well to go further afield if you wish to.
It’s great that my team offered you afternoon tea whilst you were waiting for your room to be prepared….I am sorry that it wasn’t quite ready for you on arrival, but at least you could relax and enjoy a pint!
You are quite right in that we are an old building built in the 1800’s with refurbished modern rooms, although the charm of the Victorian era still exists throughout the hotels in many areas. So many guests comment on our old world charm.
It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you all back next time you visit London.
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is very lovely and nicely located in the Westminster area of London, close to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park and Westminster Abbey.

This was our first trip to England and we were not disappointed in our choice of the St. Ermin's as our base for the 7 nights there. As a platinum Marriott member, I've stayed at many types of hotels offered by the chain. If possible, I usually choose from the Autograph collection and have enjoyed each hotel I've been able to stay in.

The hotel has a beautiful portico leading to an impressive staircase in the lobby. It's relaxing to sit there and look at the courtyard full of flowers and small trees while sipping tea or a spirited beverage.

Depending on the type of room you have, it can be cramped or spacious. There were 3 of us women sharing a room and for the first couple of days we were tripping over each other in a double-double room. The door to the bathroom kept getting stuck on one of the beds whenever we tried to open it. There was very little room for luggage and a tiny closet. The air conditioning didn't work well either. Maintenance came to look at it and found the filter to be way past it's time to be changed. They changed it and it was slightly better.

I checked back every night for a larger room. It was hit or miss at the front desk as to if they were helpful or not. A couple of staff were completely unapproachable as I learned the first day to avoid one female staff member completely. I never saw her smile, she was arrogant and acted like she was bothered whenever approached. It didn't matter who she was speaking to, same thing.

Finally, a larger room opened up which we were able to switch to that. It was a king suite, with a foldout, dining area and two bathrooms!

Except for a select few, the staff were all so kind and enjoyable to speak with. The rooms were very clean and the breakfast buffet (included with our stay, but pricey if not), was varied and quite good (especially the chocolate croissants and cappuccino)!

They had the most divine honey served at breakfast which is from the hotel's very own bee hives located on a deck area on the 3rd floor! The "Bee Hotel" is fun to visit so make sure to stop by during your stay and say hello to its occupants.

St. Ermin's is located around the corner from the St. James tube stop and is easy to get to from Heathrow ( I think it is the Piccadilly line at the airport and then a switch to the District line).

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
hotel is our Family room with two queen beds and two bathrooms overlooking the courtyard. I think these would be lovely rooms for you and your friends to stay in. Of course if you wish to book a Suite again then that is great too.
Glad you liked our buffet breakfast. Many guests say how filling this is as so much to choose from.
Our bees would have been really pleased that you went to see them. We take great care of them all year round as they are very precious to us. They can be seen busily going in and out of their hives this time of year, but slow down a little in winter when they are more sleepy. They provide the honey you would have been able to have at breakfast.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and we really look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Juchen, Germany
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

The Hotel belongs to the Marriott Chaon and was previously part of Accor, if I am not mistaken.

The location is between Themse and Buckingham Palace, close to New Scotland Yard and The Guards Hourse House. A tube station is also close by.

The service and the atmosphere in the hotel is great. The entrance to the Lobby already provides a great view. Check-In and Check-Out was very friendly.

The room was somewhat spacious for a single bed, but the equipment was very good. Soundbar, Nespresso Coffee maschine are just 2 of the nice amendments. The room itself was very clean and the bathroom had a rainforest shower.

Breakfast is the continental one with good quality and enough choices. If you have time, try the Grill restaurant in the Hotel. Very good food and exceptional
Good standard for such a hotel.

There is a taxi stop directly in front of the hotel. I had no issues getting one in the morning. Otherwise use the Hailo App.

I can recommend the hotel for the great price/location/service and equipment combination. I would use it for private trips as well.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Muellermilch
Hi There,
You are not mistaken at all and have this quite correct. We are now an Autograph hotel which is part of the Marriott Chain.
I am so pleased you loved our entrance and that my check in and and check out team were really friendly. It is important to me to ensure that our guests feel both relaxed and welcome.
It is great to read that you really liked the facilities in your room and found them great additions to the old rooms that used to be before our refurbishment. Many guests love the Nespresso machines and my housekeeping team work hard to ensure all our rooms are clean and tidy ready for your arrival and during your stay.
Thank you for recommending us top others and it would be a pleasure to be able to welcome you back when you are next in London.
General manager
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I just returned from a four night stay at St. Ermin's. This is a relatively large hotel but feels small and boutique. It also has a lot of charm. I wasn't sure what to expect but I, along with my whole family were very pleased. I stayed in a double room with two large queen beds, and great size bathroom. The hotel is extremely clean and so are the rooms. The complimentary breakfast is delicious and service is incomparable. We also ate at the hotel's restaurant, Caxton Grill, on our last night. The food was outstanding and service impeccable, it was a five star dining experience but without the fuss or need for formal attire. The hotel is located close to Westminster Abbey but is secluded and inset from the street, it has a really nice garden and front porch area where you can relax with a drink without being bombarded by the street traffic. It is also close to the tube and the concierge are very helpful. I highly recommend this hotel!

1 Thank Maria S
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Hi Maria,
Thank you for saying we have a lot of charm. We thought very hard about our refurbishment as wanted to keep the original old world charm about the hotel which we obviously have managed to do.
I have a great housekeeping team here who take care of all of our rooms and public areas to a great standard so I am pleased you thought so too.
I see you ate in the Caxton grill on your last evening here and found our talented Chef’s food just impeccable which he will be overjoyed to read. We are very lucky to have him here.
Many of our guests say how lovely our veranda & terrace are and how they are great places to have early evening drinks relaxing in the peace and quiet. This is exactly how we like our guests to feel.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and we hope you will visit us and London again soon.
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just returned from 5 night trip to London with my 21 & 17 yo kids. Our 1st trip, so scoured tripadvisor to find the right hotel. I echo ALL the compliments:

1 - Location. On the same block w/ St. James & 2 blocks from Victoria tube stops. ATM x from front door; 2 mini-marts, Starbucks, Pret la Manger on same block. And I disagree w/ those that said no nearby restaurants - 2-3 blocks over, there are many on Victoria & Buckingham Gate streets- we had a superb meal at Colosseo. You can easily walk to Buckingham Palace & all the Thames river sites.
2 - Accommodations. Excellent, esp for the $. I took an online deal on the hotel site & was thrilled w/ the value. Rooms/baths are big for London standards & VERY nicely decorated. We had an Executive King, w/a pull-out bed from the sofa, so room easily held 3 of us. The king bed was SUPER comfortable & our room was very quiet. (we were on 6th floor, facing front courtyard) They provide 2 US outlets on the desk, which we used for our Iphone/Ipad/laptop chargers. Large flatscreen tv; a safe in the closet.
3 - Concierge. VERY helpful, albeit popular.
4 - Request early check-in if you fly in on the red eye - we arrived 8:30am & our room was READY. We were thrilled.
5 - Gym is very clean/modern/small - 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, some weights, but it was empty or nearly empty each morning I went.
6 - Allowed my son to get pizza from room service one night & food was very good.
7 - Service - we accidentally disconnected our tv cable 1 night & staff was up in literally 5 min from our call.
Cons: If I had to nitpik:
1 - Elevator is very small, but fine. We took the stairs for exercise when we didn't have bags.
2 - As stated prev on this site, don't waste $ on the breakfast. We were v tired when we arrived & went to it out of convenience, but it is WAY too much $ for what you get - altho the decor is lovely. Just step outside the hotel & walk to your right & you will find the Pret & Starbucks, both of which have relatively large amount of healthy, less $ options. And as I said above, walk 2-3 blocks for more dining options.
3 - Wifi is not great - possibly because we opted for the free option, but it required reconnecting every 30 minutes - 1 hour. So either bring your patience or opt for the $ option. Benefits of the hotel far outweigh this minor inconvenience tho.

GREAT JOB - & thanks tripadvisor for steering us to them! Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: We had 6th floor room overlooking front courtyard which was great - quiet and nice sideways street v...
1 Thank Sarah R
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for your very lovely review following your stay with us this month.
I am so pleased that you though your Executive King room which was ready on your earlier arrival was very much to your liking and had enough space for three of you. I note that you also loved our adapters…these are placed in all of our rooms which many guests love them.
It’s lovely to read your comments regarding my concierge team. They are very knowledgeable and know everything there is to know about getting around London, restaurants, theatre and booking tours. I will certainly pass on your review to all of my team as they will be delighted to read it.
You have mentioned our lifts being small and I can advise that we do have some larger lifts across the lobby near to the bar area if guests wish to use them. You are able to access rooms from either side of the hotel as the walkways take you from one side to the other. The smaller lifts are ones that were originally in the hotel when it was built and we left these as part of the character of the hotel. However we placed some larger ones on the other side of the building.
I thank you for all of your feedback it is much appreciated and I always take note of all the positives as well as any negatives as this helps us to develop our team and customer service.
We hope you will visit again soon.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here with my wife and 2 children (2 and 6) in August. This is a charming hotel with a great location and the staff are friendly and attentive.

The only minor negatives we had considering the room rate was 1) the bathroom fittings could do with updating (bath and shower looked tired and by no means had a luxury feel to them) 2) at breakfast time you had to constantly try and flag down staff to get tea & coffee or order something from the kitchen.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you found all of my team both friendly and attentive as well as the hotel being charming. However, I am very sad to read that your comments regarding your bathroom and also my team during breakfast.
I can assure you that the breakfast service you received is truly not indicative of our usual standard of service and I can only apologise for this. I will certainly speak to my Food & Beverage Manager regarding this.
I hope you will return to the hotel in the future so that you can experience the level of service that we are used to providing.