“Friday Night Close To Home”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #79 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London
“Friday Night Close To Home”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Just got back from the St Ermin today after a good Friday night stay. The hotel itself is historic and has a number of old adverts around the building from the 40s and earlier when it proudly boasted 200 bedrooms and 100 bathrooms. Not the situation today where every room has its own en suite.

The hotel is well situated over St James Park tube station on the district line. Though beware on weekends not all tube entrances are open so check with the hotel to save you walking round the block. Its so close to westminster it has a bell in the lobby to call people back to parliament and also looks over onto New Scotland Yard in another direction. At night the light up courtyard is truly magical and you can sit outside if the weather allows. There is a bee hotel on the outside terrace on the third floor and the honey made there is used in the hotel - a nice touch - they are behind glass and people can come up and see them if they want.

The common areas are beautiful. Parts of the dining room that are used for breakfast are a bit dark, but the buffet breakfast is fairly comprehensive. Unusually on a weekend and bank holiday breakfast is served til mid day and check out is at 11. The hotel was very full so there was a wait for check out, for breakfast and for information desk. But the staff were generally helpful. There was also a wait for a la carte items like omelettes etc from the breakfast menu. My eggs benedict were fairly poor and not what I had expected with the Caxton Grill being housed in the building. Poor because luke warm, eggs still translucent in places and the hollandaise slightly split. But its a 1st world problem and didn't change our stay which was very good.

Lifts let them down, not all were running and we ended going up to go down in the end after a fairly long wait.

As a platinum Elite Marriott member we got upgraded to a Junior Suite which was very very nice. Only rainforest shower - no bath, but good quality toiletries, coffee ( nespresso), free wifi, good sized lounge and really nice furniture and decor. Really good safe big enough for laptop bag and other essentials.

I would go back and stay again for the building and the decor, maybe just when it was slightly less packed. I would also recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Hi There,
What a lovely thing it is to read that you understand our heritage and how much the hotel has changed over the years. We love that it has so much history and many of our guests like to read about it to learn more. You even noticed our bell in the lobby for calling back parliament in the years gone by.

I am so glad you went to see our bees, which we are very proud of. They are quite interesting to watch going in and out of the hives and now that we have the Bee hotel it is interesting to watch other kinds of bees that live here.
I was very sorry to read that your breakfast experience was not as expected and I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual service levels at all. I will speak to my Food & Beverage Manager regarding this. However, I was happy to hear that this did not detract from the enjoyment of your stay.

I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you to a Junior Suite and that you found this really nice. We do receive lots of comments about our toiletries being so luxurious. We use White Company products which we feel are just that little bit more special. All of our rooms have laptop safes which guest find really helpful as know they can lock everything away safe whilst they are out and about Thank you for recommending us to others and we look forward to meeting you again in the future.
Douglas McHugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,051)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

From our arrival throughout our 5 night stay, we were not disappointed. The front desk & concierge service were always patient & most helpful. The small bar, cozy; hotel restaurant (Caxton Grill), delicious! Close to all transportation....Victoria Station, St James Park Underground, Big Bus/other bus stops....and adorable pubs. We would stay again but would definitely request a room overlooking the courtyard.

Stayed August 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for saying that we are a wonderful hotel in a great location.
It’s a real delight to read that you found all of my team very helpful and patient. You are very important to us so they will always look after you no matter how large or small the request is.
I see you tried both our Caxton bar and the Caxton Grill during your 5 night stay and found the Grill menu delicious. We are very lucky to have such talented chefs who put some lovely creations together for our menu.
Our courtyard is particularly beautiful and quiet so yes please do request a room overlooking here next time you stay as I am sure you will love it.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during August when in town on business.
As it was the low season the rate I got was favourable and there was an automatic upgrade for any guests staying for 5 nights or more. I mentioned this late on a Sunday night when I was checking in and the receptinist did not have a clue what offer I was refering to and advised no upgrade would be given.
I pointed out that I was a Marriott Rewards member with Silver status and this made no difference what so ever.
The roon I was given was lovely and had a great view over looking the courtyard, and I must admit I was impressed, although still aggrieved at the way I had been fobbed off by the rude receptionist.
I phoned the duty manager on Monday night after ariving back from work and reported my issue to her and was dult given the upgrade and a swift apology. What a mistake this was. The room was only slightly bigger, but the a/c did not work and as it was a hot week I was left sweltering for the remaining 4 nights and did not have the best nights sleep, which is a rare occurence for me in a Marriott.
However I found the rest of the staff very friendly and willing to help. The restaurant wasx good, and well priced for the area, and the breakfast had a good selection, although I found it strange that there was a charge for the cooked s3ection of the breakfast buffet.
Overall a good experience, just a shame about the initial introduction.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard in the middle of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Ross2382
Hi Ross,
I was so very sad to read that your check in experience was not how it should have been and that you felt fobbed off. This is certainly not the usual standard of service that we provide at St. Ermin’s and I will be addressing this with our Front Office Manager to ensure that additional training is given if necessary. I can only sincerely apologise for this. We did have some issues with our a/c system which failed over a few days and I am truly sorry for this. I am pleased that my Duty Manager did offer you the upgrade once you had spoken to her.
It’s great that you found our breakfast good as well as the food in the Caxton Grill where we have a very talented chef.
I would love for you to return to the hotel again in the future on business and can assure you that your check in experience would be very different.
We look forward to seeing you.
New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Location was excellent. Check in was smooth, I asked for upgrades and they had already upgraded our room and added breakfast. Room was a good size and had everything we could want. Every staff member we dealt with was pleasant. After a long day of sightseeing, we were able to enjoy a glass of wine on the 1st floor terrace. If we make it back to London, we will definitely stay here.

Hi There,
I was delighted to read that we had provided you with an upgrade and breakfast for the duration of your stay. Glad you loved this room.
I have a very good team here at St. Ermin’s and am very proud of how welcome and relaxed they make our guests feel. It is something that is very important to us.
How lovely that the weather was good enough for you to be able to sit on the terrace and have a glass of wine. It is a really quiet and relaxing area to sit especially on a Summers evening when it is warm and light.
I do hope you make it back to London as we would love to welcome you back.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This beautiful hotel is located within walking distance of Buckingham Palace. I was by myself and felt very safe walking everywhere. It is also within walking distance of good pubs & restaurants. The staff was very knowledgeable about attractions, plays, & transportation. I also loved the herb garden along the walkway.

Room Tip: View was of a quiet neighborhood and the New Scotland Yard.
Green Features: The usual programs with towels & sheets. They had large bottles of hai & body products so a savings on plastic products.they also grew herbs along one of the pathways to the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hi There,
It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you and to look after you whilst travelling on your own.
I see you felt very safe here and that my team were really helpful in making suggestions of where to go and what to see as well as where to eat. There are so many options around us.
You are quite right we do grow herbs as well as tomatoes, peppers etc in our courtyard garden. We wanted to make our garden a little different and so many guests comment on this. Glad you liked it.
We are very green conscious and have our own project in house to ensure we help the carbon footprint around the world. We do recycle and follow a green procedure so thank you for noticing this too.
Please do come back and visit us again soon.
Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

But I cannot. The only reason for that was because for the 4 night we stayed in the hotel, the cleaning staff left our used juice glasses in the room and put new covers over them as if to say, "here, these are clean".... that was disappointing.

Onto the good.

The hotel is stunning. But the location even better. Its next door to Scotland Yard, which might actually sound like a big deal, but it's not. The building is kinda ugly, but you do feel a bit safer. :-)

It took us approx. 5 minutes to walk to Buckingham Palace & Westminster Abbey (we are fast walkers) for example, so we were super happy with that.

TIP for those who would prefer a little more space:

We paid an upgrade of 20 pounds per day to have a KING size bed which also featured a larger room, (in Canada or the USA, really, it was comparable to a Fairmont standard room). It was roomy, clean (except for those glasses), the beds were super comfy, the room was modern & the shower was really nice.

Around the corner you will find Snax. It is a convenience store but better, it has a deli. It was perfect for my morning Latte, breakfast, and last minute dinner one evening. Starbucks is on the other corner.

We would definitely stay here again & would recommend it to you.

P.S. We were on the 2nd floor. It was quite. No problems. The gym is on that floor as well.

Room Tip: read my tip in my review.
Hi Nancy,
I was so very pleased to read that overall you had a really great stay with us and would stay with us again.
I was however, mortified to read your comments about the juice glasses and have already sent this to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this is addressed immediately. I can only sincerely apologise for them being left in your room like that, this is not indicative of our service levels at all.
Our rooms are very different in size, shape and view depending on the category booked and location within the building as we are a grade II listed horse shoe style property, so they are all very different. I am pleased you liked you upgraded room and found it comfortable.
I really look forward to welcoming you back and to receiving those 5 stars next time round.
Many thanks for your review.
UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Situated only a few hundred yards (metres) from Westminster Abbey and almost next to the St James Park tube station this is the perfect place to start any visit to London. The hotel has a charm all of its own, the reception area and beautiful staircase look to have been created in icing sugar by Michelangelo. The staff are courteous and attentive without being intrusive. The hotel also have a green side adding to the environment by hosting a bee colony on an external balcony and which can be viewed through thick glass from within the hotel.

Green Features: The bee colony is a great idea and the location and viewing have been well thought out.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Neonjavelin
Hi There,
Thank you so much for commenting on our beautiful lobby staircase which leads to our balcony. We thought hard when refurbishing the property and kept this in character with our 1800’s era.
I am so pleased that you recognised that we have a green project which is ongoing in throughout the hotel. We are very conscious of the carbon footprint so endeavour to recycle wherever we can. All of our rubbish that is collected is sorted and then sent to the relevant recycling companies.
Our bees are a very special project of ours and they are thriving. We look after them extremely well both in Summer and especially in Winter when our bee keeper feeds them to help them through the harsh elements. I am glad you went to see them.
I do hope you will visit us again when you are next in London.