“Italian food made and served with love”
Review of Ombra

Ombra
Ranked #15,430 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$10 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Ombra brings the spirit, food and aperitivo of the Venetian 'bacardi' to the canal-side of East London. The name Ombra literally means 'shadow'. In Venetian dialect it's the familiar term for a small glass of wine which originates from the traditional wine sellers retreating to the shade of St. Mark's Tower to shield the wines from the hot sun. Similarly, Ombra is a place where you can retreat to the shade protected from the hot spots of London and chill out at a place that is yours. Take your time over a daily changing menu of fresh homemade pasta, seasonal vegetables, fresh fish and meat, organic wines and good old conversation.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Italian food made and served with love”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

A lovely location, we had a party there and were treated to manicott' of the highest order, made with soul and care and served by an excellent front of house team. A great cosy space, modern yet rustic. We had some wonderful creamy burrata, excellent cold cuts then a earthy cep risotto, buccatini and spaghettini, with lamb chops with pollenta and pork to follow. Great cannolini and some incredible white and dark marbled 'chocolate salami' slices with fantastic coffees. Good selection of drinks and very fairly priced. This place is unique and worth the trip, twice as good and half the price of the same thing in the west end.

• Visited October 2013

I.O.W.
“As good as the first time!”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We had a meal here this weekend which was great - again! We love the menu- short but tasty with fresh, homemade food. The chef Andrea came to speak with us and was able to discus what we might like and where it was sourced etc. We had the Italian platter- five types of cured meat and olives with as much bread as we wanted to share as a starter. We then both had homemade pasta with fish- delicious. We shared a plate of chocolate salami with honey for dessert. The spritz I had on arrival was fantastic (a little pricey but cheaper than visiting Venice). Wine and beer were a good price though. We were given a grappa each when we had finished- you're welcome! Cannot wait to go again. I think those who are not so impressed do not understand what Ombra and osteria are all about! Thank you to all the team!

• Visited July 2013
London
“Stingy and mean”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I used to go there for lunch, tried a few times but they consistently give you the smallest, meanest servings of food. No one wants to pay £10 for lunch and leave starving. Even pasta that costs nothing to make is dosed in meagre amounts.

Even when I've gone there for a drink I feel ripped off. On a sunny day we've gone to sit outside and ordered a negroni, but the prices are so ridiculous you have to leave after one. The staff are unfriendly and take ages to serve you, even when there's no one around. This places always leaves you with a bitter after taste.

Also it's really poorly laid out with people always crowind around your table while you try to eat.
I'd recommend this place if you don't really like to eat much or have enough money to buy two or three mains, even then the food is pretty basic.

I really don't understand why anyone would want to pay a premium to sit in such a grim corner of Hackney.

3 Thank nomnomlondon
London, United Kingdom
“Crowdy and Noisy”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I went there with some friends (8 in total). We booked ahead, but unfortunately our table was just in front of the bar, so we have been annoyed all the time by people queuing for drinks and talking loudly. It was really difficult to talk with the other people at the table but the ones next to you.
The service was not good, we waited so long to order, so I was forced to ask directly at the bar for something to drink in the meantime.
All those issues don't allow us to enjoy in full the good food that they serve. The restaurant has some traditional Venetian dish that a lover of Italian cuisine could not miss, like the Baccala' with polenta or the ox tongue. The selection of wine is decent, with both good withe and red italian wines. Traditional italian cocktails like Spritz or Negroni are well prepared.
All in all i think is better to go there for drinks rather than having proper dinner.

1 Thank Siougs
London, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE.”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I’m upset that I didn’t read some other reviews before I visited Ombra, it may have saved me from an incredibly disappointing meal and from wasting £50. I’ve never felt the need to write a review or indeed send a dish back up until this evening. One dish was virtually inedible and the other bland and just plain bad, having sent the meal back the chef refused point blank to take it off our bill as the waitress curtly informed us.

This is one restaurant I will not be returning to or recommending to anyone I know.

2 Thank D4veP