“Disappointing service”

Saint Georges Hotel
Ranked #766 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Centrally located with comfortable rooms, the Saint Georges disappointed on two counts. The scaffolding erected for major renovation works made the wind howl at night making it difficult to fall asleep. In the morning I went for breakfast at the opening time of 7am to be told that my order would take at least twenty minutes. I don't have that kind of time to dally on a business trip. So a coffee and a bowl of cereal was my lot. Disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Book when the renovations are finished
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night due to business. You can't knock the location - 5 min walk from Oxford Circus and right next door to the BBC Broadcasting House. That's it's only redeeming feature.

The hotel is going through (much needed) renovation and is absolutely covered from head to toe in scaffolding - I'm glad I wasn't staying for a holiday as it looked awful.

Upon entering the hotel, I said hello to the receptionist and she couldn't have looked more annoyed if she tried. By far the worst "greeting" I have ever had at a hotel. I had to leave very early the next morning so asked if I could have breakfast delivered to my room. She sighed and didn't speak. A man then stuck his head out of the side office and sort of shouted to fill in a breakfast card and hang it on my door. The grumpy girl shoved this at me, and that was my check-in...

The room itself wasn't much better. The decor was very tired, the curtains stained with god-knows-what, and it was very warm. It did have a TV and a minibar however, and the bathroom was ok. The view out of the window was great of London...but sadly totally obscured by the scaffolding that was blocking all areas of the window.

Breakfast the next morning - it arrived on time. But I had no knife to butter my bread. No spoon to stir my tea and I had to drink a yogurt as there was no spoon for that either... Terrible.

I will happily never return, and would advise others not to stay there either. What a total waste of money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Katieflossom
Chris S, General Manager at Saint Georges Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thanks to katieflossom for the constructive feedback following her recent stay. Yes, as we mention on our website we do have scaffolding around the building. We're not ecstatic about it but there is nothing we the operators can do but grin and bear it for 4 months. Last week was the beginning of of it coming down.
Disappointed to receive poor comments about the personnel as this is an area where we usually get very positive reports. It will be investigated and re-training carried out.
Grateful also for other observations and points.
If an e-mail could be sent to reservations@saintgeorgeshotel.com for the General Managers attention so we can ascertain the date /room number etc for us to follow up.
Thanks again and regards.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

First, the good: the room was quite nice, clean, and perfectly up to date. Even better: the staff was incredibly helpful. One problem: there did not seem to be any extra staff available, so that if you needed something extra or something repaired, it would take many hours before anyone could attend to you. The real problem: the hotel exterior was under renovation, so that all you see out your window is scaffolding and workers walking right by your window - on the 12th floor!. The hotel should have made this perfectly clear to travel agents and those checking its web site, but they didn't. And the hotel should have offered some goodwill discount to make up for this shortcoming. They didn't do this either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This property was being remodeled during our stay, and our room was nice, clean, and comfortable. There was some noise. Restaurant/bar on top floor had good views and was very inviting. Very close to many shopping and eating facilities. If south facing room is available, get one with a view of central London.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scodougle
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Terrible old hotel under renovation. Design & equipment from early 60. Workers & mess everwhere. Construction works running, trash at balconies, terrible room with no wordrobe. No place to keep your cloaths at all.
Great location (just at BBC, very close to Oxford Street), friendly staff. Still, I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ania Z
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed for one night with my husband last week. While this is not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, it was fine for our one night stay. We were mainly after something clean, comfortable and conveniently situated that wasn't too exorbitant and that is what we got. I was especially pleased as I was able to use nectar points via expedia.com as part-payment.
The hotel doesn't look great from the outside because of all the scaffolding but is ok inside. Our room wasn't huge, and the view from the window was largely obscured by the scaffolding, but we weren't too concerned about that. It had everything we needed including robes and slippers.
The reception staff were a little reserved, but not impolite. We didn't try out the restaurant or have breakfast at the hotel as our rate was room only, but Oxford Circus is awash with places to eat so this wasn't a problem at all. There is a Ponti's about 5 mins walk away where you can get a lovely full english. Great location. Would stay at this hotel again..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marg50_63
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the St Georges Hotel in Pimlico in London. The hotel was really good but there were a couple of niggles - the room was quite small but had everything we needed - en-suite, tea & coffee, etc. The hotel is actually two hotels which are at no.115 (which is where the reception is) and at 107 (which is where our room was). Also the room was 3 flights of stairs up - there is no lift. Breakfast was in no.115 - it was really good - well cooked and well presented. The staff were very good and helpful. All in all a really good stay and I would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for room hear the front door - ground level!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple