Saint Georges Hotel
US$258
US$191
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsregent streetoxford circusbbc broadcasting househotel startstop floorexcellent locationcentral locationlondon hotelmini barstayed for one nightwest endtea and coffeetubetheatre
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Location is good but i'd rather be in a different place than stay here again. Filthy, tired and unfriendly staff. The woman on reception acted like she had just been to a funeral. We had 3 different rooms between us, and all were as bad as each other. Filthy carpets, stains everywhere and even the superior rooms (which we all had) were more basic and tired than any travelodge. At least the corridors in Travelodges are clean and modern. The ones a Saint georges are so dirty and run down, you have to think twice about where you are.

The wifi isn't working well either (no netflix) and the aircon rattled so loudly it wasnt possible to leave it on. The noise generally is bad, it's an old hotel.

Would really recommend not to stay here, not for the rate charged. This hotel is in dire need of an overhaul and housekeeping that take their job more serious. Thank goodness we only stayed for 2 nights.

Really not recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank George M
Chris S, General Manager at Saint Georges Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thanks to George M for the feedback following their recent stay at the Saint Georges. Even with advising potential guests about the scaffolding it is still not a lovely sight on arrival and frankly puts a negative feeling in people's minds at the beginning of their stay. In your case this was compounded by the rather poor welcome at Reception - this is most uncharacterictic as generally we get lovely comments about the staff. I have since impressed on my team to show extra warmth and friendliness because of the current situation. Thank you for that and for the other observations. The external works are necessary as repairs have to be effected from a safety point of view, also painting and cleaning.and this has created a bit more dust an debris. Stains to carpets are generally able to be renoved with the use of the carpert shampoo machine but sometimes some are cannot be removed which ultimately means a new carpet. We have taken your points on board and an extra focus will be given to those aspects mentioned by you. I am pleased to say the scaffolding is on its way down, 30% so far and the sooner the better for the rest. As you may have seen when you were here that a major project is due to be undertaken and this will include a Roof Gardens and complete refurbishment of Heights,all Public areas and bedrooms.Thank you once again.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Centrally located with comfortable rooms, the Saint Georges disappointed on two counts. The scaffolding erected for major renovation works made the wind howl at night making it difficult to fall asleep. In the morning I went for breakfast at the opening time of 7am to be told that my order would take at least twenty minutes. I don't have that kind of time to dally on a business trip. So a coffee and a bowl of cereal was my lot. Disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Book when the renovations are finished
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night due to business. You can't knock the location - 5 min walk from Oxford Circus and right next door to the BBC Broadcasting House. That's it's only redeeming feature.

The hotel is going through (much needed) renovation and is absolutely covered from head to toe in scaffolding - I'm glad I wasn't staying for a holiday as it looked awful.

Upon entering the hotel, I said hello to the receptionist and she couldn't have looked more annoyed if she tried. By far the worst "greeting" I have ever had at a hotel. I had to leave very early the next morning so asked if I could have breakfast delivered to my room. She sighed and didn't speak. A man then stuck his head out of the side office and sort of shouted to fill in a breakfast card and hang it on my door. The grumpy girl shoved this at me, and that was my check-in...

The room itself wasn't much better. The decor was very tired, the curtains stained with god-knows-what, and it was very warm. It did have a TV and a minibar however, and the bathroom was ok. The view out of the window was great of London...but sadly totally obscured by the scaffolding that was blocking all areas of the window.

Breakfast the next morning - it arrived on time. But I had no knife to butter my bread. No spoon to stir my tea and I had to drink a yogurt as there was no spoon for that either... Terrible.

I will happily never return, and would advise others not to stay there either. What a total waste of money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Katieflossom
Chris S, General Manager at Saint Georges Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thanks to katieflossom for the constructive feedback following her recent stay. Yes, as we mention on our website we do have scaffolding around the building. We're not ecstatic about it but there is nothing we the operators can do but grin and bear it for 4 months. Last week was the beginning of of it coming down.
Disappointed to receive poor comments about the personnel as this is an area where we usually get very positive reports. It will be investigated and re-training carried out.
Grateful also for other observations and points.
If an e-mail could be sent to reservations@saintgeorgeshotel.com for the General Managers attention so we can ascertain the date /room number etc for us to follow up.
Thanks again and regards.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

First, the good: the room was quite nice, clean, and perfectly up to date. Even better: the staff was incredibly helpful. One problem: there did not seem to be any extra staff available, so that if you needed something extra or something repaired, it would take many hours before anyone could attend to you. The real problem: the hotel exterior was under renovation, so that all you see out your window is scaffolding and workers walking right by your window - on the 12th floor!. The hotel should have made this perfectly clear to travel agents and those checking its web site, but they didn't. And the hotel should have offered some goodwill discount to make up for this shortcoming. They didn't do this either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This property was being remodeled during our stay, and our room was nice, clean, and comfortable. There was some noise. Restaurant/bar on top floor had good views and was very inviting. Very close to many shopping and eating facilities. If south facing room is available, get one with a view of central London.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple