“Nice Little Pub Tucked Away By Cockpit Steps”

Two Chairmen Public House
Ranked #2,386 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Westminster
Description: The name for this traditional pub comes from men who used to carry sedan chairs for the well-to-do people of London in the 18th century. Situated opposite the pub was a theatre called the Royal Cockpit where the upper classes would bet on cock fights. The men carrying the sedan chairs would wait for their next fares in the pub, hence the name The Two Chairmen! The pub has kept many of its original features despite being rebuilt in the mid-18th century, these include oak beams, ornate fireplaces and a mural on the back wall. There are also chandeliers, wood panelling and comfortable leather furniture making it a truly authentic London pub experience in which to relax and enjoy our food and great range of drink and cask ales
Hanoi
“Nice Little Pub Tucked Away By Cockpit Steps”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I found this pub on my way back to my hotel. It is on a small street near Cockpit Steps and very close to St. James Park (yet a world away). The beer selection was excellent and the staff very nice. I would return.

Visited February 2014

San Diego, California
“A good place for a traditional Pub lunch”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We found this pub using the map function on TripAdvisor on a mobile phone. Reviews said it was a good place for lunch and it was around the corner from where we were, just off St James Park.

Our beers were fine. We were pressed for time and felt the food took some time to arrive - but had we been less hurried we likely would have been happy enough with the service which was friendly enough. Our lunches; a steak and ale pie and mashed potatoes and a chicken pie and chips (fries) were very good, hot and fresh.

So we would agree with the other revies - a good place for a Pub atyle lunch in Central London at a reasonable cost.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, shame about the music”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Lovely little pub, or would have been if it wasn't for club music banging out. Staff were great

• Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
“A brilliant quiet lunch boozer”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I found this pub on a walk of London. It was clean and quiet, with low volume music on in the background. The bar staff were friendly and the beer was cheap. A pint of Landlord for about £3 is always a winner with me.

I visited in the mid afternoon on a normal weekday, so it may well be busier at weekends. But I'd make sure it was on my list to visit the next time !

• Visited June 2012
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect little boozer”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Worked near here for years but never made it to this pub. Wish I had - it has everything a British boozer should, including a decent selection of ales and a log fire upstairs. The thing that really impressed me was how friendly everyone in there was. Trying to carry a round of drinks upstairs, someone noticed I was struggling with the door and came across the room to help me open it. Same thing happened upstairs. This never happens in London! Warmed the cockles.

Visited January 2012