Attended the cocktail masterclass last Saturday, running from 2pm to 4pm, cost was 40£. Approx 20 people in the room. Sadly this experience was a massive disappointment. Particularly unimpressed as the place came highly recommended during another cocktail class and reading reviews about this place being a reference in the industry.
- 2h class
- 10 cocktails
- tasty and original drinks
- lots of info
- format is like a university lecture, i.e. chairs facing the bar with little room for feet. Read: maximize seat capacity of the bar.
- little to no action time, as in we actually do not make the cocktails. yes, really. The barman goes through the list of 10 cocktails one by one, first by making two drinks for the public and then inviting three people in the assemble to make one for themselves.
1. We ended up tasting only a fraction of the two "assemble" drinks because the bartender was systematically giving the drinks to the same two people. Albeit at the opposite sides of the room. People were then passing it along to their neighbors and so forth but sometimes finishing up the drinks before it got to us. Quite infuriating when you think that it's passed systematically to the same two people.
2. Some people in the assemble actually didn't get the chance to make a cocktail. Such as one of my mates. Luckily for me i had a gut feeling of how this was going down so I jumped on the occasion on a cognac one. Which was delicious. Sole success of these dreadful 2 hours.
- we actually didn't finish the list. Little doing and a lot of talking, mainly about technical and scientific material you probably will never access or have due to the price.
- most of these drinks you will never be able to reproduce at home. To give an example even the barman pointed out that there was just one on the list that we could reproduce. Right, 9 out of 10 you will have go back to THIS bar in order to drink it. Provided they still serve it. The reason is due to aromas or rare liqueurs which they are the only ones to create.
- your a constantly pitched for other colebrook classes.. making it a very intense 2h brainwash about 69 colebrook
Overall i think this class is dedicated to afectionados of 69 colebrook or advanced bar tenders who want to expand their knowledge and skill set by a "lecture" into a novel way of producing cocktails.
This is not the right formula if:
- you want to learn bar man techniques and something you can bring back home to entertain your guests at a diner party
- or spend a afternoon having a laugh making drinks
So, for a tasting as this was mainly it, at 40£ i would probably have had a quite better sample at a decent cocktail bar
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.