“Very small rooms”

Hotel Edward Paddington
Ranked #897 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed 1 night in this hotel. The room we had was extremely small and the bed had a pit in the middle. The staff was unprofessional. The hallways were very narrow which gave us an unsafe feeling. If you do want to stay here you can have a nice breakfast for a reasonable price at Nero's some 100 mtr. From the hotel. All together ones but never again.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Peter B

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Great location and that's where it stops with the Edward Paddington. I had booked a double room and requested a bath ( booking.com state that some doubles have baths). I had stated that we would be arriving late. We were given a twin room with a shower which was FILTHY - there was rubbish on the floor, stains on the walls and floors, mould in the shower... The room was tiny - you couldn't actually open the wardrobe fuly and the room smelled bad. It was 1am - but I asked to be moved - I was told that the hotel was fully booked and there were no doubles available. I asked to be moved the next day and the recpetionist was rude and said if I wanted a change of room I had to move right away at 8.30am - I was going to a meeting but my partner was in bed and was moved to a room which was cleaner but not clean, but the bed was 1 1/2 bed - my invoice stated that this was a single room on my departure. I got no apaology for the overbooking - a person walked into our room on the second night having been given a key at reception! Save yourself the grief.

Room Tip: The pressure for the shower was awful on the 4th floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 36Emma
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute as I had a university interview in Sheperd's Bush and was looking for something on budget but comfortable. I was really impressed with how the hotel looked on booking.com and thought it must be too good to be true for the price and location.

It was too good to be true.

The lobby is nice, and the receptionist was very friendly but didn't help me when I was struggling with my many bags that I couldn't carry on my own through the doorway. I went up in the lift to my room and was pleased as with all my bags it was opposite the lift as I exited. I entered my room and thought it looked nice, with nice décor and sure it was small, but for one person it looked comfortable and cosy.

Then, I started noticing the flaws. The room was absoloutly filthy. There was a cigarette butt or plaster or something on the windowsill which in itself looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. The wooden windows looked like they were rotted, and there was dirt all up the inside of the curtain. The walls were covered in dirt and scuff marks, and the metal light switch looked like someone's foundation had been smeared over it - I could have cleaned it myself with a face wipe so I was confused why this hadn't been cleaned. The bedside lamps were covered in dust and looked like the lamp shades were falling off. One of the lamps didn't work, and 3 of the ceiling lights didn't work either. As I looked up at the lights I noticed that one of them was being held in by what looked like masking tape, which was peeling off the ceiling and hanging down.

The bathroom looked lovely, with a welcoming heated floor and lights around the bathroom mirror. Again, until I started noticing the details. I could not believe my eyes when I looked in the shower. It was full of mould and dirt all around the bottom and in the grout. Along with this, more lights were out so it made it almost impossible to see myself in the mirror, the pedal bin was completely broken with the pedal hanging off the bin AND the toilet didn't flush. It didn't flush AT ALL, not even a little bit.

I decided I was going to head out and explore the city after getting changed, so started to unpack my suitcase and hang up my all important outfit for my fashion interview the next morning. I opened the wardrobe and discovered a total of TWO coat hangers. One was too big to fit in the wardrobe so made the door stick out and the other looked like it had been left by a guest.

On my way out I politely complained to the man at front desk, expecting it to be sorted by the time I got back a good 5 hours later. I asked him if he could book me a taxi for the next morning when I came back in, and he said he would do it then. He picked up the phone and then, to my dismay, started talking to the woman in the queue behind me, leaving me standing there waiting for at least five minutes as she complained about the fact her requests for extra towels and blankets had not been met.

I returned to my room to find nothing had been fixed. Not even so much as a clean of the window sill. I reluctantly had to shower in the mouldy, dirty shower, and I must say the power shower itself was great. I just had to keep my eyes closed so as not to freak myself out.

For a double room there were two towels, the size that would be okay for your hair. They were dry and brittle, and I didn't enjoy drying myself in them as they almost felt dirty, but maybe it was the fact I had just used a mouldy shower.

When I got into bed there were 2 pillows between 2 people which were paper thin, sure, I could double them up but what if I was there with someone else? The duvet was just as thin. I was really quite upset, as I had hoped to have a comfortable stay in a hotel before my big interview so I could relax and be prepared for the next day in the best state, which was not the case.

After returning the next evening I found my toilet had been fixed and the windowsill cleaned. But that was all. I didn't dare have another shower which really is not right.

All I can say is, even though this is a budget hotel, and really you are paying for the ideal location which was great for me, why do they have a heated floor and big flat screen tvs, but cannot pay for proper cleaners, towels and more than half a pillow per person. I did not receive an apology and the receptionist seemed a lot less friendly after my complaints. All I can say is, Hotel Edward Paddington is not worth the money, unless you like living in filth.

Room Tip: Definitely avoid room 303.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We were 3 adults sharing.. and our room was more like a cabin!! Tiny beds.. with little space between them.. tiny room.. bathroom very small.. windows full of condensation inside the panes.. so couldn't look out of them.. they also didn't open! Beds were uncomfortable and very very soft! One thin pathetic pillow and very thin duvet! Asked for extra pillows duvet and towels. We were told (just after 2pm) that we couldn't have more because the housekeeper had now gone home! At this point I insisted that these items were supplied and to the hotels credit.. the items were placed in our room whilst we were out! The room had no storage.. wardrobe was tiny.. not even a coat hook on the back of the door! Shower ok but taped so you couldn't bring it down at all! Can't say about breakfast as we didn't have it..! And they need to sort out free wifi for guests... outrageous price.. £8 for 5 hours and £2 for an hour!! Come on.. get with the 21st century.. give it free to guests.. It might just stop them complaining about everything else thats wrong with the hotel!!!! Great location and the Pride of Paddington pub great for food etc.. really friendly staff!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night , 12 hours in fact from the time i checked in to i left for heathrow eary the next morning. Location is great for this purpose . However this is where the positivies stop. Staff were rude, blamed booking agency and booking agency blamed them. it seemed like they were very money hungry . it cost 75 pounds for a friday night which is not bad in London but you get very little for your money. Room is tiny , lucky i was on my own as there is no way two people could survive in a double room. i had to have my suitcase against the door otherwise i could not even get to the bathroom.. bed is old and past it as the springs poke you at every angle. pillow were wather thin and i asked for extra one and nothing happened not even a sorry we havent got any spare? make sure you read hotels fine print policies as they are very strict on a few things most other london hotels give you. the wi fi was a disgrace as the price was not included in the room rate and you had to pay 2 pounds an hour or 8 pounds for 5 hours. Without wi fi you turn on TV to find it is the most basic channels. So you ask what exactly are you paying for . I have stayed in many London hotels over the last 12 years and this has so far been the worst. Even the one which had bed bugs was a better stay.... For the price you can get better all over London....

Room Tip: Try to get a big one! if they exist.....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed in a family room for three nights, two adults and two teens. We only just fit with a large bag each, ready to go overseas, bathroom is nicely fitted but tight. Good shower, had plenty of room. Issues with water on the last day, it happens. Overall, tight, especially in the bathroom. Great location if travelling from Heathrow, express train just a few minutes away at Paddington Station, 20 mins to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Good location, clean room. You had to pay for WIFI ( 2 ponds for 1 hour). In a modern city as London, they could provide free WIFI with a code. There was also no heating in the bathroom so it was really cold in there. Also asking 5 ponds for keeping the Luggage after check-out was a little disadvantage for me. Overall: good location, good room, extra costs for things that should be offered as services instead of costs (wifi, cloakroom)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends