“great location, poor service”

Apex Temple Court Hotel
Ranked #55 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
“great location, poor service”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

stayed at this hotel and overall the experience was pleasant and the room was good quality. However when I checked in I was asked for a credit card to cover any costs during my stay. I offered the lady at reception my business debit card (which is my preferred method of payment when on business) and she refused it. She could only take a credit card, which I did not have on me as I was only away for a couple of days. I went to my room not thinking much more if it and then I heard a knock on the door. A porter came in with a box and proceed to empty my minibar of its full contents for inability to pay! I was shocked at first as this has never happened to me but I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed by this rather odd procedure. Not great for customer care or customer value.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank AT503
Karl M, General Manager at Apex Temple Court Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear A T,

Thank you for completing a review on Tripadvisor. It was good to hear that on a whole you enjoyed your experience and the quality of your room to a good standard, even though your arrival experience was somewhat marred.

It is our hotel policy, and one that you will find in numerous other hotels, to ask guests for a method of payment on check in for any extras that they might require during their stay. These include items from the minibar, room service, laundry, etc. We usually ask for a credit card as these can be preauthorised without any money actually being taken from the account. In the case of a debit card, money cannot be preauthorised and the card has to be charged in advance and then refunded if not used. Alternatively we also offer to take cash deposits which are again refunded if not required.

In the rare circumstance that none of these payment methods can be provided, we do empty the minibar as a measure introduced following several past experiences where items were taken without being paid on check out and to prevent this from happening in the future. This is by no means meant to embarrass or humiliate our guests and is something we usually explain in great detail on check in.

I fully appreciate that the situation was not handled in the correct manner and please rest assured I will investigate why these payment options were not offered to you on this occasion. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused to you and the negative impact this has had on your stay with us, it was certainly not our intention to make you feel unwelcome or uncomfortable in any way.

Kind Regards

Karl Mitchell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
East Lothian
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Hotel is in an excellent spot, just 5 minutes walk from the Embankment and within easy reach of Temple and Blackfriars tube stations. Numerous buses stop outside the hotel on Fleet Street, however, the hotels location made it convenient to just walk to so many places eg St Pauls, Borough Market, the Shard, Covent Garden etc,etc. We were in London for 2 nights, an annual trip for my son and I for the ATP tennis finals @ the O2 and it was our first visit to this hotel and we wouldn`t hesitate to go back. We were in room 321, a large twin room on a corner of the 3rd floor, the room was extremely spacious with a comfortable settee and desk area and a much larger bathroom, with separate shower and bath, than in other London hotels. There was no `view` as such and the neighbouring buildings were close by, however, the location more than compensated. We`ve stayed in a much smaller room on the 11th floor of a London hotel with terrific views, but both agreed that we preferred the comfort and facilities of the Apex Temple Court! The staff are extremely helpful, the bar/lounge comfortable and the continental breakfast more than adequate with cooked options available at a supplement.
An excellent friendly hotel in a great location, we hope to be back in November 2014!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LouiseEastLothian
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Really enjoyed staying at this hotel, it's situated in a great location in London. Didn't spend that much time here as we had lots of plans but had everything you need, very nice lobby bar, helpful staff very good quality. rooms are a bit small but it's central London so expected.
Would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Olivia H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

stayed at this hotel with my second half- well what can i say it was amazing! our room was on the 5th floor with balcony and view into the courtyard. room was spacious and modern, loved the interior.
however one of the girls at reception did not seem very pleasant, did not get her name but she had very curly hair. concierge was very nice, brought our luggage's to our rooms.

breakfast was amazing! restaurant is well-set, menu is well presented with some delicious food.
staff- the hostess i think her name was Sandra was very nice and friendly, greeted us with smile and asked how we are even had a short conversation by our table. our waitress which i did not get the name again (i think it starts with J) was friendly and payed attention to detail. different waitresses kept on coming to our table and asking if everything is fine - nice touch but a bit annoying

Room Tip: go for the 5th floor with court yard view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sophie t
Joondanna W. A
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

The hot water runs out when i was half way showering. Rang the reception and told will give me a call back. Sitting in the bath room with bubbles on my hair for 10 minutes, no one ring back. Called again, and told they are trying to fix it but not sure how long it will take we just have to wait. My cab is coming in 30 minutes taking me to airport. I have to finish my shower in cold water as there is no solution for me. I wouldn't mind if its summer time, but imagine winter in London when there is only 6~7 degrees out there and you have to shower in cold water. If I get sick I think they should pay for my medical bills!!!

Such a shame for a reputable hotel! No backup system for hot water in winter.

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank bebibebis
Aliaksandra J, Front Office Manager at Apex Temple Court Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for posting your review of your stay. I would like to apologise again that you were affected by the fault in our hot water supply. We experienced some kind of fault in our boiler room. This was obviously an incident out with our control. We took every action necessary to try to rectify the situation as soon as possible and minimise the disruption to our guests.

We understand this did not affect the hotel in its entirety so we spoke with each guest on a one to one basis. I sincerely apologise you were left waiting for a response whilst we were trying to find the problem. I have sent you a personal email directly.

As you can see from our general feedback previous to your posting this is not our normal standard of operation and am sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver.

Kind Regards,
Aliaksandra Jos
Front Office Manager
surrey
Reviewed 16 November 2013

On Fleet Street, this is a lovely hotel I would certainly recommend. It is within walking distance of Covent Garden (10-15 mins) and the attractions of the West End. Very nicely appointed. Smallish(cosy) but very functional and well-equipped rooms with good bathroom. Nice bar (although as you might expect a little expensive), and pleasant seating areas. Very reasonably priced for central London. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

NB - Breakfast is £20 so you might want to walk down to the Apostrophe, a lovely little coffee shop serving delicious breakfasts with plenty of choice - 3 minutes away towards the Strand.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank coolcrok
istanbul
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Here is why:
- There is no air circulation/ventilation at the bathroom (room 231) bathroom stinks for an hour after you do it.
- The corner rooms are cold because of the old windows and it takes at least 30 minutes to warm up. (air condition is very silent but slow)

- There is a construction noise coming form the next building during the day time. ( Room 231)

- No slippers or bathrobe in the room. You need to ask for them. Last day there was a hot water problem.

- The hotel has too long corridors to reach to most of the rooms.

Location is good if you have things to do in the business district. If you can book this hotel around 100 pounds then it is ok.

- Beds are very comfortable.

Room Tip: Lot of corridors stay close to the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank leylek
Dear Leylek,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay, I was delighted to read that you found our beds comfortable and the location convenient.

However I am very sorry that we did not have the opportunity to address the issues you experienced during your time here as I feel sure that we could have rectified these pretty swiftly and made your stay more comfortable.

Your comfort is of the utmost importance to us and I was naturally concerned to learn that your stay was disrupted during the day by the construction work opposite the hotel. I am sure you can appreciate with this not being related to the hotel that it is completely out with our control to prevent their work during reasonable hours. Should we of had availability we would have offered you a room move.

I would also like to apologise that your room temperature was not at an acceptable level of comfort on this occasion and it took too long for the room to reach your desired temperature.

Currently we only provide bathrobes and slippers in the Executive Rooms; however we will be looking to add these to our standard room type very soon. I have left a note on your profile to heat your room prior to your arrival, allocate a room close to the lift and also provide bathrobe and slippers for any future stay.

Please do contact me directly next time you are looking to return to London and I do hope I have the pleasure of meeting you in the future to able to restore the faith you may have lost in our hotel on this occasion.

Kind Regards,