“No hot water in November!!! Construction outside my room”

Apex Temple Court Hotel
Ranked #51 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Denver, Colorado
“No hot water in November!!! Construction outside my room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is my second time staying in this hotel so I knew what to expect.

The hotel is modernly appointed. The lobby and the room’s look and feel fresh. Location-wise it is directly on Fleet Street, with plenty of busses there and tube stations St. Paul or Holborn are about 7 minutes’ walk away.

There was construction outside my room which woke me up everymorning. Also, their gym is tiny.

During my 6 day stay no hot water was available for last two nights. Apparently the problem affected the entire floor. I complained the day before last was promised that it will be taken care of. It never did. Next day, on checkout I complained again and they gave me a 25% refund on the last two nights and offered me a free upgrade the next time I stay with them.

I was satisfied. I will probably stay in the hotel again if I am in that part of London.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Karl M, General Manager at Apex Temple Court Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Ayad99,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again on your most recent visit to London.

We are delighted that our central location in London provided you a convenient base. As you quite rightly pointed out we are located perfectly for ease of access to Chancery Lane, St. Paul’s, Blackfriars or Temple tube stations all within a 5-7 minute walk or a bus stop located directly outside the front of the hotel will take you to Waterloo, Trafalgar, Liverpool Street, Piccadilly Circus or Sloane Square. Then only a 10-15 minute walk away is Covent Garden/Oxford Street it is perfect for business and leisure travellers alike.

However, it was very disappointing to read about the disruption you experienced during this stay, for this we would like to once again send our sincere apologies.

Unfortunately, the construction work taken place adjacent to the hotel is not related to the hotel in any way so we have very little control over the works. Construction sites are allowed to work during a set time mid week and weekends, but if they are noisy out with these times we can take necessary action, otherwise we need to manage the situation ourselves. Generally if a guest experienced noise that disturb their stay we would try to offer a room move subject to availability.

Regarding the hot water, we experienced an unforeseen major defect on a large pump in our boiler room. We took every action possible to try to minimise the disruption to the guests but during the higher demand period on the second day the system could again not cope with only the one pump. The faulty pump was replaced the following week with and we have taken the necessary action to prevent any reoccurrence.

We understand this did not affect the hotel in its entirety so we spoke with each guest on a one to one basis upon check out.

I am glad that you understand that these situations were somewhat out of our control and you were satisfied with our response. It is also great to see that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the near future.

Kind Regards

Karl Mitchell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kent UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I booked this hotel for my husbands birthday, it really is beautiful, tucked away just off of fleet street. I requested an upgrade which was just £24, on arrival they had comp upgraded us again to a delux room. Bed was so unbelievably comfortable!

Bar is very good & clearly popular.

I would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

2nd stay at this great hotel. Very modern clean lines, rooms large and comfortable with spacious extremely clean bathrooms. Staff extremely attentive and helpful. Breakfast plentiful and high quality. Just off Fleet Street about half way between Westminster Bridge and St Pauls so very convenient for most central London activities. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Joanne M
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Spent three nights in this hotel after a friend recommended it. I am glad she did as it proved to be just what we wanted. It is hidden away in a court yard behind Fleet Street but we found it without any difficulty.It is an easy 10 min walk from Blackfriars underground stop and we also found the bus stop outside convenient for short journey to Trafalgar Square as we bought day travel card. The service was faultless. We arrived late morning and were delighted when they said they had a room available as we expected to drop off our bags and book in later.The room was spotless and nicely decorated. It had everything we needed and was a reasonable size for London. We didn't eat in the hotel but we did have a few drinks in the bar where the service was efficient and friendly . I asked for some more milk at reception one evening as we came in after an evening at the theatre and was amazed when it arrived just after we got up to our room. Check out was fast efficient and friendly. We asked for our luggage to be stored till later in the day and this was done immediately and they asked us if we would like to book a taxi for later, a nice touch. In summary this is a good modern hotel which ticks all the boxes, well done to all involved.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank weelassieScotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the Apex 21st December 2012 for 1 night. The hotel was lovely and modern with a beautiful elephant sculpture feature.

We were assigned room 201 which was HUGE complete with sofa, desk and family sized bathroom (maybe a little exagerration). The room was modern, quiet and cosey despite it's size. We decided to order room service as we were a bit pushed for time as we were due to see Shrek that evening. This turned out to be a bad idea. When the order came, my sandwich was completley wrong and so we had to get it taken away to change which was done for us no problem however it did mean we were running late for the theatre.

Overall, the hotel was modern and spacious and we could recommend room 201. However we were a little disappointed in the room service mix up and it is about a 10 minute walk to the nearest tube station. Other than that, we couldn't complain and had a pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: Room 201 very nice
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed her for nearly two weeks with my husband - moved rooms a couple of times before we got it right, but overall we really like this place (this was our second visit). The rooms aren't big but this is not a shock in central London. They are however beautifully designed but what made this place stand out for us was the lovely staff. From originally making the booking to check out we were very pleased. Only gripe was that every day I would have to call Housekeeping to ask that our products be replaced, as they were Elemis I knew not to travel with big bottles so really did use everything the hotel provided. I feel in a hotel of this standard such things should probably not have to be prompted. In fact we were upgraded and on moving to the better room I noticed a significantly nicer range of Elemis products than those we were given in the lower standard of room, but we only received them once. It's a small thing but people do notice the small stuff and I did feel it was a bit petty particularly as we stayed for some length on time. Anyway, I got over it(!) and generally would recommend this hotel. Lovely part of town within walking distance of the fun stuff.

Room Tip: Higher floors have much lower ceilings so feel smaller... the rooms really vary so if you're not...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine J
Sussex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our stay in this wonderful hotel, we loved it. Modern, luxurious with excellent staff in a superb location...what more could you want from a hotel.

The decor in our room like the rest of the hotel was contemporary, spotlessly clean and of a very high standard. The room also had a balcony which gave us a great view of the London Eye and Big Ben. Finishing touches of fluffy robes, Elemis toiletries, a Bose docking station, a huge HD TV and sumptuous bedding all go to make the whole experience feel special.

We had the use of the Club Lounge, which we used mid afternoon. The lounge enabled us to relax, help ourselves to complimentary drinks from the bar and in our case afternoon tea which was delicious.

Continental Breakfast was included with our room booking. We enjoyed a great selection of cereals, yoghurt, fruit, bread, pastries, juices etc. Cooked breakfast could have been ordered if we had wanted it. All served by very attentive staff.

My husband booked this break away as a birthday treat, we really couldn't have wished for a better hotel. I would highly recommend the Temple Court for it's superb location and attention to detail. We would love to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple