“A little gem”
Review of The Lilac Door

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Lilac Door
Ranked #9 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My wife and I were following our son's cricket Tour and happened to be at Dulwich College for two days. I know web sites can often be misleading about accommodation but there's nothing misleading about The Lilac Door. What a pleasant surprise, the owner Jane went out of her way to make us feel welcome and from the moment we stepped through the threshold of The Lilac Door we felt at home. Within easy walking distance to Dulwich College and the train station, The Lilac Door is a little gem. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed staying here and nothing was too much trouble for Jane. Her passion for this little bed and breakfast is evident throughout, from the instructions on how to lock the front door at night to the fresh sweet peas in the bedroom. Jane's attention to detail is unsurpassed and she goes out of her way to make you feel comfortable. If you are in this part of London, think about The Lilac Door, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WilsonGD
There are newer reviews for The Lilac Door

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Owner Jane is a charming and skilled hostess and went to great trouble to help us four colonials celebrate our arrival in UK, have a significant birthday, find our way about London and take in a Show (as you do) and of course, put on the Queens Jubilee for our benefit. Thanks Ma'am. The Lilac Door is a thoroughly modern and most impressive special B&B. Nothing old and make do here. Our attic room was absolutely charming and luxurious with every modern convenience and generous extra, all with fastidious attention to detail. This is how it can and should be done.. Congratulations, Jane!!!

Room Tip: There are surprisingly many rooms in this home. You are sure to find one you like. There are even r...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loscooks
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I have been customer for the last couple of years of the Lilac Door B&B in London. Location is excellent (very few nice alternatives in the Dulwich area), rooms are new, clean and spacious. What really stands out is the warm welcome by the home owner who has always been very helpful trying to make our staying the most comfortable as possible. Thank you Jane !

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We are fussy guests and very often decide one visit is enough...but not The Lilac Door.
We have had two wonderful weekend visits to this most welcoming and comfortable of houses.
Jane is a superb hostess and the whole place is relaxing and comfortable.
If you want a hotel..look elsewhere. If you want a home to collapse in and hospitality that is sincere and charmingly relaxed...The Lilac Door.
Breakfast is delicious and a welcome change from the B&B cliche. There is loads to eat but it is a joyous change from the dire Full English which makes you feel slightly ill for a couple of hours and rules out lunch.
We look forward to our next visit.
I simply cannot imagine anyone failing to be thrilled by this place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ArchbishopJ
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Lilac Door in late April. I should start by saying that we came straight from a very wet walking tour in Wales and were completely covered in mud when we arrived, which didn't faze Jane in the least. She knew exactly how to take care of us -- she's a natural hostess. She manages to be warm, open, and incredibly helpful, while at the same time knowing exactly when not to be around (in fact, she has even devised a system for delivering private breakfast in bed, should guests want it). Jane is just exceptionally good at making people feel welcome and at ease. Breakfasts in the dining room were relaxing and enjoyable, and we loved chatting with her as we were coming and going.

We stayed in one of the rooms on the top floor. It's very clean with elegant modern fixtures and a couple of skylights that let in lots of light. The room is at or above the top level of most of the surrounding buildings, so it afforded a nice view in several directions. The room was perfectly quiet; I don't remember hearing any noise from anywhere on either night. There are blackout shades that can be pulled down over the windows should one wish to sleep in. There was a lovely selection of everything one could need on hand (organic teas, cookies, nice lotions and soaps). The whole building is quite attractive, from the room we stayed in down to the plants by the front door. It was a pleasure to return there after a day of running around, and fall asleep in a soft bed in a pretty room. All of the food was super fresh and delicious.

Dulwich is pretty and peaceful. Not being smack in central London, it is accordingly not hectic. Neither is it a long way out. In fact, we discovered that if you time the train perfectly, you can go from the front door to Victoria Station in about 25 minutes. The Lilac Door made for a great home base while we were in London. I wouldn't think about staying anywhere else next time I am passing through the city!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nhighmore
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I had a fantastic stay with Jane and her family last week the Lilac Door is without doubt the best place I have stayed (I have stayed at a fair few hotels & B&B's in my time!) It would certainly beat many of the 5 star establishments in the UK hands down.

11 minutres out of London and you are in the tranquil oasis of North Dulwich with a mere 5 min walk to The Lilac Door, a real respite from the hustle & bustle of the city.

Jane could not have been more accomodating allowing me to drop baggage early on my arrival into London, advising on late night travel routes and general advice and guidance on London and the surrounding area. Her husband (a professional photographer) gave me ideas of great galleries to visit during my stay. My room at the top of the house was a delight - light, spacious and airy with the lovely addition of a seating area / day bed under the eaves. The en-suite was spacious equipped with a fantastic shower.

Her breakfast would rival a Michelin 'starred' establishment with fresh fruit, yoghurt, artisan breads & pastries along with Granola's & cereals all fair trade & organic - a veritable feast!

I have recommended the Lilac Door to a number of my friends & family.

Sincere thanks for your hospitality Jane - I will return soon!

Steve B

Room Tip: My room at the top of the house with Velux windows and en suite shower room was a delight!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Jane goes that extra mile to ensure that guests enjoy their stay at the Lilac Door. Rooms are relaxing, nicely furnished with splendid bathrooms The beds are comfy. Cleanliness is very apparent. Jane provides all those little things that mark this place out as special. Breakfast is really super, with everything being of a high quality and very nicely presented. One of the best B&Bs I have stayed in. If I am in the area again I shall definitely be returning to the Lilac Door !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business