Alexander Hotel London
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$491
US$356
US$347
  • Room Service
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$159
US$215
US$171
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2007

My husband and I were trying to take in a lot of Europe in two weeks, and we didn't want to spend a lot of money on the places where we slept. Based on my research, hotels in London can be pretty expensive, so when I found a decent deal on the Alexander Hotel, I took it. We stayed there for two days, and the location was decent, but the accomodations were nothing to write home about.

The room we stayed in was tiny with pretty much just enough room for the bed and a small table. The bed itself was comfortable. The bathroom was very small and the shower was a problem. The shower had warm water but sprayed in a strange pattern, and no matter what you do, the floor becomes thoroughly soaked. I believe I read this in another trip advisor review and thought that wouldn't be a big deal, but an inch of water covering the floor in cold London is really uncomfortable. If you take a shower in the evening, the water is waiting for you in the morning. God help you if you are wearing socks.

We had a first floor room, but there is no elevator which may make it difficult for guests who have difficulty lifting their luggage. The breakfast was unremarkable but also unoffensive. I do have to say that the location was pretty nice. It was only a 5 minute walk from Victoria Station, and we actually rolled our luggage from the station to the hotel. We were also not far from the meeting point of our tour to Stonehenge.

In its favor, the staff were very accomodating and met us back on a Saturday to give us our luggage that they had held while we explored the city. We were greeted warmly at midnight when we first arrived as well. For the sake of what feels like a family-run business with kind workers, I would like to recommend this hotel, but I greatly hesitate to do so.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank EbethDallas
Reviewed 29 October 2007

Typical of RIP-OFF Britain. £75 P/NIGHT in London is cheap but you should still get some quality for that. Sad to say - This is not a qualtity hotel & needs a complete renovation. Old dirty paisley carpets, tatty worn out curtains, 1960'S bathroom tiles, an old mattress on top of another old mattress made a good nights sleep impossible. It was like sleeping on a water bed. Electrical sockets hanging from the wall, TV with bad reception tatty furtniture, radiator blocked by wardrobe, noisy rooms & street BREAKFAST - well not an English breakfast as described, only 2 items on the plate, egg & bacon, so what happened to the rest?. If this was abroad you would complain, but this is typical of some of the crap accomodation in Britain. I was glad to get out of the place. Forgot to say, upon arrival the toilet had not been cleaned from the previous occupants and there was feces in the toilet basin. I won't be returning! No wonder people go abroad!

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Macky300
Reviewed 12 October 2007

Hotel Alexander B&B is a great place to stay in London for cheap.
It's near Victoria Station, walking distance to Buckingham Palace and Big Ben. Room and washroom are always clean. But if you don't already, I suggest to bring your own soap and shampoo as they don't provide you good stuff. ( i always do) Breakfast is great. Eggs and bacon with toast and fresh coffee or tea, orange juice. Or choice of cereals and fruits. They say they have a tv lounge,,,but we never found it. No concierge/reception 24-7.
Near the supermarket.
my husband and I love Indian food. there is a place called Indian Diner on Rochester way (sorry i forgot the address) but you can google it.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 February 2007

Good things: cheap for an en suite room, easy to book on-line at their website, fairly close to Victoria Station, friendly staff
Not so good things: the ground floor rooms have terrible views- (so just request to be upstairs!).

We stayed at the Alexander Hotel for 4 nights- in 2 different rooms in October. We opened the door to our first room (right next to the office) and we would have been a bit upset had it not been for our exhaustion/excitement for our first night in London after 24 hours of air and land travel. Our ground floor window looked out at a dirty alley and dumpsters with zero sunlight. The bathroom had a semi-non-flushing toilet and a shower that was about 4 feet tall. Oh well- we only paid 50 L/night, and we came to see the city- not the inside of our hotel room.

We walked out the front door of this B&B to see many other similar B&B's (no shops or cafes)- about a 5 minute walk from the huge Victoria Station. We looked up to see a few rooms that had balconies- what do we have to do to get one of those? we thought as pictures of our dark alley view flashed through our minds.

Guess what- our second two nights we were given one of the rooms with a balcony- lucky us. Same price- MUCH better room. We'll request a second floor room next time.

Breakfast was very average- but it did the job. I believe that this is a low-cost B&B- so the other occupants tended to be young travellers like us. The best thing about the small dining area was that you basically had to share space with the other travellers- which turned out to be a good thing- why travel if you don't intend on meeting people from other walks of life?

I wouldn't recommend this B&B for a couple that plans on spending lots of money on nearby fine dining and wants a fancy room with a great bathroom. The Victoria Station area isn't filled with trendy cafes and shops- but it is walking distance to lots of the churches and royal stuff.

I would recommend this B&B to someone who just wants to be in London- plans on Tubing and walking- doesn't plan on spending much time in the room.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank French_McGuire
A TripAdvisor Member
Lancaster, England
Reviewed 30 August 2005

This hotel was ok, not amazing really but neither was it bad. Staff were welcoming when i arrived and helped me find an address. Room itself was on the small side but clean and pleasant enough plus a fan was a bonus to get through the heat of the summer night. I may go back due to the location being so good.

• Stayed: August 2005