“Bad Experience with Alexander Hotel London” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander Hotel London

We can't find prices for this hotel
Alexander Hotel London
Ranked #1,024 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Seattle, Washington
“Bad Experience with Alexander Hotel London”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

Filthy bathroom. Mold on the tiles. The drain from the shower upstairs leaked through the ceiling of the shower in our room (see photos). We checked out early because of the dirty conditions of the room.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank CAP54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Hungarian first
Ashburton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

My mother and I arrived in London at 6am. Got a shuttle to the Alexander. When we arrived (after a 14 hour flight) there was no room for us until 12pm. Reception guy was unhelpful. Were able to get changed in a 1m sq toilet room and then headed out for breakfast. A shower would have been great - but no.
When we finally we able to get to our room, we found a dingey little box of a room. The two single beds were about 2 feet apart, the beds, duvets etc were probably pre 1900s.
It was a real let down for our first trip overseas. We would have happily paid way more for a decent sized room and a bit of polite, helpful service.
Would only recommend this place for backpackers - but it would be beyond their budget!

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank beckagray

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

We came from France for a two nights stay, and we had booked the Alexander Hotel using their website, with a full night advance payment. When arriving at the front door it was closed and there was a "hotel full" sign, no one answered the bell, we tried to phone the hotel and heard the ringing inside but no one answered... After 20 minutes waiting we decided to look for another hotel and luckily we got one room at the one next door, alas only for the first night. One hour later we got out for dinner, and we saw that the Alexander Hotel receptionist was back ! I then had an explanation, the guy said he was out for only five minutes... I asked if we could come the day after and enjoy our second night but he just reimbursed my advance payment and told me he had no room available !! What a reliable place, and what a warm welcome to London, this is a shame.

• Liked — the web site
  • Disliked — my reservation being canceled
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ventilo
Brasov
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2008

Verry bad experience!!! The room dirty, the bathroom dirty. The house lady not friendly. The breakfast low quality!!!

Don't go to Alexander Hotel, worst experience ever!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hera1978
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2007

I booked a room at the Alexander Hotel on November 12, 2007 for a 3-night stay from November 30-December 3, 2007. I was not able to stay at the Alexander because on my day of
arrival no one was at the hotel to let me in. I
arrived a little before the estimated time of arrival which was 3pm
and waited several hours in the rain. After waiting a couple hours I went across the street to the hotel that turned out to be owned by the brother of the owner of the Alexander. I called
the Alexander Hotel but no one answered the phone. Finally, I was forced to find another hotel for the night. I left a note explaining what had happened and asked for a refund of the deposit that had already been charged to my credit card A few days later, I checked back in and spoke with
a man who said that he would refund my deposit, but its been over a month and the charge is still on my credit card.

After traveling 14 hours from the states the last thing anyone needs is to have absolutely no one at the hotel. It would have been better if someone there would have just said they were all booked up. Let'sgo recommended this hotel in one of their london guides - my sincere advice is to book a room somewhere else - there are many hotels just down the street and I've never had a worse experience.

At a minimum - a hotel should have someone present during normal business hours to receive those who booked well in advance!

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2007

My husband and I were trying to take in a lot of Europe in two weeks, and we didn't want to spend a lot of money on the places where we slept. Based on my research, hotels in London can be pretty expensive, so when I found a decent deal on the Alexander Hotel, I took it. We stayed there for two days, and the location was decent, but the accomodations were nothing to write home about.

The room we stayed in was tiny with pretty much just enough room for the bed and a small table. The bed itself was comfortable. The bathroom was very small and the shower was a problem. The shower had warm water but sprayed in a strange pattern, and no matter what you do, the floor becomes thoroughly soaked. I believe I read this in another trip advisor review and thought that wouldn't be a big deal, but an inch of water covering the floor in cold London is really uncomfortable. If you take a shower in the evening, the water is waiting for you in the morning. God help you if you are wearing socks.

We had a first floor room, but there is no elevator which may make it difficult for guests who have difficulty lifting their luggage. The breakfast was unremarkable but also unoffensive. I do have to say that the location was pretty nice. It was only a 5 minute walk from Victoria Station, and we actually rolled our luggage from the station to the hotel. We were also not far from the meeting point of our tour to Stonehenge.

In its favor, the staff were very accomodating and met us back on a Saturday to give us our luggage that they had held while we explored the city. We were greeted warmly at midnight when we first arrived as well. For the sake of what feels like a family-run business with kind workers, I would like to recommend this hotel, but I greatly hesitate to do so.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The shower and size of the room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EbethDallas
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2007

Typical of RIP-OFF Britain. £75 P/NIGHT in London is cheap but you should still get some quality for that. Sad to say - This is not a qualtity hotel & needs a complete renovation. Old dirty paisley carpets, tatty worn out curtains, 1960'S bathroom tiles, an old mattress on top of another old mattress made a good nights sleep impossible. It was like sleeping on a water bed. Electrical sockets hanging from the wall, TV with bad reception tatty furtniture, radiator blocked by wardrobe, noisy rooms & street BREAKFAST - well not an English breakfast as described, only 2 items on the plate, egg & bacon, so what happened to the rest?. If this was abroad you would complain, but this is typical of some of the crap accomodation in Britain. I was glad to get out of the place. Forgot to say, upon arrival the toilet had not been cleaned from the previous occupants and there was feces in the toilet basin. I won't be returning! No wonder people go abroad!

Stayed October 2007