“Quaint hotel and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blades Hotel

Blades Hotel
Ranked #261 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Santa Clarita, California
“Quaint hotel and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Since this was our first visit to London. we weren't sure what to expect although we read many posts about small accommodations. Our room was up a few levels on street side. Carrying the luggage upstairs was a challenge, but the staff was extremely helpful with it. The hotel was clean and barely fit the three of us with our luggage. The bathroom was adequate, but very small and only fit one person at a time. Breakfast was minimal, but at least we got something and it was included with our hotel fee. It consisted of juice, tea or coffee, canned fruit, cereals, cold cuts and bread for toasting. Not as ample as what we are used to in America, so we found ourselves supplementing at nearby coffee shops. The location was walking distance from the tube as well as Victoria's Station, not so much to Central London by easy to get to nonetheless. The staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful in every respect. We really appreciated Antonella and Chris: they were great with directions, recommendations for eateries and places to visit, and set up taxis when needed. Overall, I would stay here again because the room met our needs and we weren't really in it but to sleep at night. We were in London for sightseeing and to explore the city and the culture, not to lounge in a luxury hotel. I felt we got good value for our money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nina G
bladeshotel, Director of Sales at Blades Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Any three adult girls sharing one room and one bathroom for 5 days might not be easy. We really appreciate this guest's review and are happy to have been helpful to them during their stay. As they state it is their first visit to London and not used to European room sizes and London's sizes in particular: rooms in major cities of America can be smaller (New York, Chicago and San Francisco) and some parts like the west coast are bigger. Keeping in mind that Blades is a value driven budget hotel in the great location of Westminster where we share the same postcode as the Queen, the Cardinal and the Prime minister we are great value for money and their triple room was 13,9ft x 11,5ft which for London is considered a generous size in this expensive area. Our breakfast is a good value, nice buffet breakfast with a choice of fruit juices, cereals, yoghurts, bowls of prunes and grapefruit , crumpets, different breads for toasting, jams, tomatoes, hams and cheeses, many teas and coffee and is usually well received by our guests, and in keeping with a budget hotel of our standard.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
saint louis park, mn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This being our first time in London, we were quite overwhelmed with the high cost of everything. The Blades proved to be a nice stay for me and my family, though it's incredible to see what you get for your money. I won't bad mouth The Blades for their high prices or small rooms because that comes with the territory in London, but the rooms were very small, even smaller than I expected. On the positive side, we had just incredible service from the staff. They were helpful when we needed it, and provided a lovely, delicious breakfast experience each morning. The neighborhood was certainly nice and safe, but it seemed like a long walk to get to the sites of Central London. Overall, I would say we had a pleasant stay at the Blades.

Room Tip: With no elevator, I would suggest rooms on the 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ckreie
South west
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for a business trip. I found my room and the hotel very clean which is one of my top requirements. My bed was comfortable, I was in a single room, room 10. The out look was to the front, traffic a little noisey but did quieten down for the night and this cant be helped. The hotel was well situated for my conference in westminster and there is a bus stop just up the road to get there. The breakfast was cereals, fruits, yogurts toast, hot drinks and juices etc. It is on a buffet system which I found fine. The staff are obliging and were able to deal with a small problem I brought to their attention. I had booked in advance on a reasonable deal and felt the hotel good value. I felt safe returning there at night as it is in a nice road. I would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Depends on yr needs. Room 10 was great as a single for 1 person. There are a lot of stairs as it is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Shropshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here this week for 1 night and feel that it was an average stay even though its cost I feel is high and should be less. It is within easy access to central London and the Thames but the breakfast states full breakfast on its site and it is a very limited choice continental breakfast...nothing hot if you dismiss the toast, no croissants which is normal, no fresh fruit and choice for persons with dietary needs was poor.
The shower was cold in the morning upstairs and it flt like all the hot water had been used, when told about it was told that this did not happen and will look into it.
I could hear my neighbours TV until it was turned off as walls are very thin. The room was very small, no wardrobe, hang clothes on a rack under the TV. The room had no air conditioning and as it was hot this was an issue and the window could not be opened but if did you could fall 3 floors easily from the bed as the room was so cramped.

I was very disappointed and there is no facilities to say this at the hotel. I have stayed in better hotels in less economically strong countries, less cost

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
bladeshotel, Owner at Blades Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
If this guest can find a nicer hotel for the same price on this expensive area of London we would be delighted to give his money back. We removed wardrobes years ago as they were never used and installed nice chrome rails which are quick and easy to use. The rooms all have fans and we get so few very warm days in London that air conditioning is not really necessary and can cause many health problems. The room is generous in size for the price in a budget hotel and the breakfast is a nice buffet breakfast. This guest didn't raise any of these issues when he stayed with us and we don't get complaints of this kind from people who have been in London many times and know the area well. Well travelled people always tell us we are great value and a very nice place to stay.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Good and bad points....Good first......Very clean ....staff very helpful...decent value for money....excellent location with Pimlico Tube Station only 3 minutes away plus only 10 minutes walk to Westminster Abbey and Sloane square with many nearby restaurants and pubs nearby.Free Wifi available in all rooms.
Bad points- the rooms at the front are really noisy at night and with no air con you have to have the windows open which does effect the sleep quality.
The breakfast which is advertised as "full breakfast included" is only continental which was adequate but not great.
Overall not too bad if on a budget but if you can afford an extra £20 a night I suggest you go searching elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back for peace at night
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
bladeshotel, Owner at Blades Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Disappointed to hear this guest point of view but we feel he is not familiar with this area or London in general. Belgrave Road in Pimlico, where we are is not noisy after 10,30 at night, as it is not an arterial road and it is after all a major city. We serve a good buffet breakfast which is usually well received by guests who tell us it is a very good value for a budget hotel. GBP20.00 is a lot of money for some people especially if they are staying more than one night and you would have to spend a lot more in this area to upgrade to a 4 or 5 star hotel which can cost approx GBP220.00 per night or more. The guest at the time seemed very pleased with our accommodation here and very pleasant to deal with as well.
Kokkola
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Brilliant location, nice staff, clean and quiet room, ok breakfast. Restaurants and many main attractions near by. Nothing to complain, would recommend to friends. Be aware, lots of stairs to climb if room is in top floor :)

Room Tip: Choose a room with own bathroom, one option has a one in the hall.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

As with all London hotels, booking early ( via booking sites ), is essential to get a good rate. The Blades is one of the better establishments I have used, the room was not massive, they rarely are, but more than adequate. I was in room six, I had requested a quiet room, six is on the back and was quiet, much appreciated. The room had a double and a single bed ,I would recommend it to anyone looking for this combination. The only drawback is that it was sunny and hot, and due to the hotel's siting, the back gets all the sun so the room can get hot, no aircon. Leave window open and draw curtains to limit the effects. You can't have it all, I prefer the quiet and to compromise on the sun drawback.
Chris, who booked me in and looked after me is very competent and helpful, nothing too much trouble. The only major drawback for me is the lack of a cooked breakfast, which I prefer when I stay in London as it sets me up for the day. Having said that, the buffet continental breakfast was excellent, you could not really fault the selection or quantity for the price, and if you wanted extra tea / coffee, anything, sorted very quickly. Serving staff very friendly and helpful.
The shower water was cold about 5 in the afternoon, which was odd, but as I was hot and needed to cool off, it was not actually a problem for me, must have been some temporary glitch as plenty in the morning! The bed was very good, nice furnishings, room clean and well presented, shower / toilet small, as they all are in London unless you are paying hundreds, was very clean and fulfilled what you need it to do!
Always read and remember the reviews! I did not and got off the underground at Victoria rather than stay on for Pimlico so had to leg it a good distance when Pimlico is no more than 5 minutes away.
Eating tip: There is a Pizza Express round on Moreton Street, turn right on exiting Hotel and it's on the right, excellent service, see my review of this establishment on Trip Advisor.
Drinking Tip: decent pub with good range of beers close to station, can't recall the name.

Overall, as I said this is one of the better hotels at this price range, I will no doubt use it again, I have no hesitation in recommending it to other travellers, you will not be disappointed with your stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo