“Leaking toilet and smelly room.”

Brompton Hotel London
Ranked #990 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Madeira, Portugal
“Leaking toilet and smelly room.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed just one night, late afternoon after travelling from abroad I dashed in, dropped off the suitcase,I noticed the room smelled thought maybe the cleaner had had a BO problem so aired the room then left. I returned about 11.15pm, changed into in my pyjamas and then noticed my feet were really wet from water in the carpet, the smell in the room was horrible and the toilet water levels were rising when I flushed it. I stomped downstairs and said I needed another room. The man at reception came up to my room took out the toilet brush and proceeded to clean/pump the toilet saying it's ok now...I said the carpet was really wet and obviously leaking from the toilet and that I was paying £100 for the night for the room. He replied I wouldn't get much better for the price in London. I insisted on a different room-really the smell was not pleasant. They moved me to another room which was not much better but no smell. The other reviews are right in that this hotel is only good for the location. It is disgusting, dirty and smelly. The carpets are old and dirty, in fact everything is. I didn't dare look at the mattress, the bathrooms hazardous, hooks falling off the wall, door not closing, loo seats broken, old grouting grey and unclean. Windows grey and unwashed, Curtains coming off the rail, net curtains filthy. How come this place is allowed to function? Hasn't anyone reported them to the health and safety? Especially as they do breakfasts. Also if there was a fire no sign of fire exits....A shame as it is perfect for the South Kensington tube....but definitely won't go there again... it was really awful.

Room Tip: Don't think they have any........
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Angie G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Leominster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We wanted a hotel close to the V & A as was attending a couple of exhibitions at the weekend. We booked this hotel. Our room was on the top floor, 6 flights of stairs, no lift, at the rear. We faced out onto a wall, and could just see the sky craning our necks. Two small opening windows, the handle on one completely missing. Room very hot and stuffy and the maid always closed the window when making up room. Room had a small double bed and a single bed. All basic, beds very hard, springs not good. Shower room, light had gone over mirror, and the thermostat knob on the shower did not work at all. When we reported these things we were told that they had broken yesterday. Call me cycnical but I didn't believe it. It is reasonably cheap for london, but more of a hostel. Reception is on first floor, the wifi is very intermittent, I gave up. The room did have flat screen tv, hairdryer, fridge and microwave. Breakfast was delivered to door on tray at time we asked. However, cheap slided white bread, and hard boilded eggs. Better to miss this and go to any of the cafes close by. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here rooms at back are quieter, but might be better to inspect room first. They do...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel is very tired looking. It's a rabbit warren of corridors and stairs. We had 6 flights to climb to our room, no lift.

The bedroom was a reasonable size, the bathroom small. Our shower screen was held together by gaffa tape, and control knob and cover plate were missing from the shower. There was an extractor outlet just above our room and it was very noisy until 11pm. The bed was comfy, the sheets were clean but we could have done with a second pillow each and we had to ask for a second set of towels so we didn't have to share them!

There is no dining or breakfast room so breakfast is delivered to your room your only choice is if you want your eggs hard or soft boiled and if you would like tea or coffee. The rest of breakfast is toast, jam and fruit juice.

Really this is a hostel not a hotel.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JuneMHampton
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here this week for one night. The room had all that was needed the bed was comfy and the room spacious for a london hotel. It is a bit tired the shower had only one heat setting but was fine. The breakfast is boiled egg and toast delivered to your door. For the price i think we got what we expected. Dont go if you have problems with stairs as all rooms are up at least a few flights and some up many. Our room looked onto the road junction but surprisingly we were not bothered by noise. It is in a great location for the museums and south kensington tube, restaurants and cafes for a more exciting breakfast if that is what you want! I think you get what you pay for and this was the case here..

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ostfildern, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two days here and we left happy to be leaving.
Plus point is just the location which is very good two mn away from S kensington underground.
The hotel is in an old house, nothing new there just it looks nobody really cares to take care of it.. probably hasnt been touched in 30 yrs.
-Bed was an old type no mattress so bed was very hard and small, not suited for two people. We woke up with back pain! not nice!
- It was cold, we had to ask for heating to be turned on. At 5 am first night it was switched off and we woke up in cold!

- Both nights my husband didnt sleep beyond 5 am as someone was preparing the bfast for all rooms and was banging and basically making kitchen noise...
-Breakfast weak
- Bathroom very small, no place to hang towel as the support was broken!
Overall we feel we paid the huge amount just for the location as the hotel is old and neglected.
The staff was nice no complaint there.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Vrg02
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this South Kensington hotel on business during the week 7-11 April. My top-floor, front-facing single room was compact but comfortable and quiet, with a small but perfectly adequate bathroom. Everything was clean, in good condition and worked. Breakfast was delivered on time and left on a tray outside the room door: eggs and toast were hot, and there was butter, jam, juice and tea or coffee. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. I would very happily stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business