“Good weekend hotel”

Brompton Hotel London
Ranked #965 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent location and reasonable room. I wasn't surprised by the stairs or the lack of air-conditioning, having read other reviews. The room was clean and the breakfast was fine. Glad to have the refrigerator.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Yvonne P

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel was hot, smelly, stuffy and uncomfortable. There is no elevator and there did not seem to be any rooms at the back. All of the rooms face Old Brompton Road which is noisy at all hours. There is no air conditioning and the room has one window - the top section pops outward for about 8" and that is it for ventilation. Beds old and uncomfortable. No drawer space for clothes. Poor lighting. Newish bathroom. It is well located near the museums and the tube station, but that is about the only good thing to be said. Never again.

Room Tip: There probably isn't one. On a lighter note, all of the room numbers begin with the number "...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Susan G
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked on line Dirty. Dangerous. Disgraceful.
Hairs in plug hole of bath. Bathroom floor tiles cracked & sharp - needed to lay towels on floor to protect feet. Window duck taped to stop draught. Sink cracked. Breakfast consisted of soggy toast. Hallway outside of bedroom ( near "kitchen" ) smelt of cigarette smoke.
Rip off . Would definitely NOT recommend. Left as soon as possible. Not what we hoped for at all. Had it not been so late ( 11.30 pm) when we arrived we would definitely have found somewhere -anywhere!- else to lay our weary heads.

Room Tip: Don't waste your hard earned money!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sue S
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed just one night, late afternoon after travelling from abroad I dashed in, dropped off the suitcase,I noticed the room smelled thought maybe the cleaner had had a BO problem so aired the room then left. I returned about 11.15pm, changed into in my pyjamas and then noticed my feet were really wet from water in the carpet, the smell in the room was horrible and the toilet water levels were rising when I flushed it. I stomped downstairs and said I needed another room. The man at reception came up to my room took out the toilet brush and proceeded to clean/pump the toilet saying it's ok now...I said the carpet was really wet and obviously leaking from the toilet and that I was paying £100 for the night for the room. He replied I wouldn't get much better for the price in London. I insisted on a different room-really the smell was not pleasant. They moved me to another room which was not much better but no smell. The other reviews are right in that this hotel is only good for the location. It is disgusting, dirty and smelly. The carpets are old and dirty, in fact everything is. I didn't dare look at the mattress, the bathrooms hazardous, hooks falling off the wall, door not closing, loo seats broken, old grouting grey and unclean. Windows grey and unwashed, Curtains coming off the rail, net curtains filthy. How come this place is allowed to function? Hasn't anyone reported them to the health and safety? Especially as they do breakfasts. Also if there was a fire no sign of fire exits....A shame as it is perfect for the South Kensington tube....but definitely won't go there again... it was really awful.

Room Tip: Don't think they have any........
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Angie G
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We wanted a hotel close to the V & A as was attending a couple of exhibitions at the weekend. We booked this hotel. Our room was on the top floor, 6 flights of stairs, no lift, at the rear. We faced out onto a wall, and could just see the sky craning our necks. Two small opening windows, the handle on one completely missing. Room very hot and stuffy and the maid always closed the window when making up room. Room had a small double bed and a single bed. All basic, beds very hard, springs not good. Shower room, light had gone over mirror, and the thermostat knob on the shower did not work at all. When we reported these things we were told that they had broken yesterday. Call me cycnical but I didn't believe it. It is reasonably cheap for london, but more of a hostel. Reception is on first floor, the wifi is very intermittent, I gave up. The room did have flat screen tv, hairdryer, fridge and microwave. Breakfast was delivered to door on tray at time we asked. However, cheap slided white bread, and hard boilded eggs. Better to miss this and go to any of the cafes close by. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here rooms at back are quieter, but might be better to inspect room first. They do...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Room Tip: Should be with bathroom and toilet. This facilities were one floor down!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Bernhard W
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel is very tired looking. It's a rabbit warren of corridors and stairs. We had 6 flights to climb to our room, no lift.

The bedroom was a reasonable size, the bathroom small. Our shower screen was held together by gaffa tape, and control knob and cover plate were missing from the shower. There was an extractor outlet just above our room and it was very noisy until 11pm. The bed was comfy, the sheets were clean but we could have done with a second pillow each and we had to ask for a second set of towels so we didn't have to share them!

There is no dining or breakfast room so breakfast is delivered to your room your only choice is if you want your eggs hard or soft boiled and if you would like tea or coffee. The rest of breakfast is toast, jam and fruit juice.

Really this is a hostel not a hotel.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again