“Very basic”
Review of Gower Hotel

Gower Hotel
Ranked #164 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in June for jubilee, location is good 5 min walk to paddington train/ tube station. But hotel is very basic, but clean enough, breakfast ok but small portions. Was Being decorated when we stayed so should be ok when finished. Came home from a show one night 10.30pm and were locked out as man on reception had gone to nearby shop he returned after 15 mins, no apology in fact he never spoke just opened door!! 2 star rating is just about right..

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Daveytom66
There are newer reviews for Gower Hotel

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Sometimes I struggle to find a hotel in London within my company’s expense budget, especially at short notice, and this was one such trip.

There are good things to say about this hotel. It’s conveniently located between Paddington and Lancaster Gate and it’s clean and respectable (important, so close to Paddington station.)

But my welcome was terrible – for some reason they were expecting a family of four, not a single woman and were annoyed (with me) for taking up such a large room. (I had booked via lastminute – not my fault!)

My room was very cold – now admittedly it was December, but it wasn’t the coldest part of December, it must get absolutely freezing in really cold weather. And the beds were ancient, with very old fashioned sheets and bedspreads (I was lucky to have the large room – it meant I could heap the bedspreads from the other beds over mine!) On the plus side, the bathroom was modern, and there was a tea/coffee making facility in the room.

Breakfast was surprisingly good – hot food, cooked to order but quite quick, and a small but pleasant selection of cold food available to help yourself. The breakfast staff were much, much nicer than the reception staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SulleysAngel
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My partner and I arrived with low expectations due to reading reviews, on arrival we discovered that they were decorating and there was brickdust/paper all over the stairs with ladders and extension leads everywhere....bit strange time to decorate on probably the busiest weekend of the year, our first room was on the fourth floor, the shower had no hot water or pressure, when the maintenance man came he knew about this problem and encouraged us to ask reception to change our room, which we did....our second room was better with a working shower, but still rough around the edges etc.... worth noting as well, the breakfast was quite nice.........and another saving grace for this hotel is its location, literally 5 mins walk to Paddington station...and for 85 pounds for a night, we didnt really expect much

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank senikaman
Reviewed 1 June 2012

You'll be close all the action and attractions of central London, but you'll be sleeping in hostel-quality beds, undersized rooms, on a noisy street. I didn't experience bed bugs when I was there. The breakfast was a decent continental. You probably wont do much better for the price, without staying trying a city hostel.

Room Tip: There's a single in the basement with a nice new en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank WILLIAM S
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Visited this hotel with a group of friends. The room was very basic, but clean. After arriving I walked up to first floor to find 2 men hacking plaster off walls; ladders; debris. After moving their ladder and holding a wire aside I reached the room. Dust everywhere in communal areas. This hotel is very cheap for London and does include breakfast BUT breakfast was largely inedible. Great area to stay, but avoid this hotel if possible.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank miranda93_12
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Don't go. That's the only advice I can give. Apart from its great location, I don't see any good reason to stay at the Gower hotel. Windows are so poorly insulated that it gives you the impression you sleep in the street. To top it all, staff is quite unfriendly and the breakfast is not even average.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dom1705
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed at the gower for two nights .It was my sons birthday so it was a surprise for him .I was very dissapointed when we got 2 our room it had a horrible smell the bathroom was not very clean there was a dirty workmans glove on floor .breakfast was horrible they could not understand what you wanted to eat so you ended up with any thing .wont be going back

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family