Hotel La Place
US$179
Agoda.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsclose to baker street tubemadame tussaudsfree wifiby london standardsexcellent locationenglish breakfastconvenient locationtea and coffeemarlybonemirrortoiletries
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Finding an affordable hotel in London, in summer isn"t easy, but at the La Place hotel, it becomes the tired excuse for everything wrong, not working, or in dilapidated condition. Each of the desk clerks, had practiced and diverting excuses for the incredible small and dingy room "Executive Single", I was placed in. Although turn over seemed regular, it was impossible to see any other rooms, change rooms (excepted to a double suite, which will cost considerably more), or have issues addressed. The room I review, generally sums up this hotel, small, dingy, unclean (I had to wash my hands whenever I touched window handles or other areas that cleaning staff avoided in there quick daily pass through). The decor is cheap, old, poorly maintained and depressing. The worst complaint for any modern traveller, is the poor quality of the WiFi. I had to sit on the toilet to get any signal. Complaints.to management only resulted in being told it was my computer that wasn't working. In short, this hotel isn't cheap, isn't value for money, isn't clean, and isn't worth the hassle. Go elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I stayed here for 13 nights. As I was on a mainly business trip the location was ideal - 2 minutes to Underground, 10 minutes to Oxford St, and the free wifi was a real bonus. Room was small, (executive single) but comfortable and excellent value for central London. Breakfast okay, staff helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I'll start by saying that this is the first time ever that I have reviewed a hotel. Usually I think, "they were okay, so why bother, even if a few things went wrong", but this time I think, the experience was so bad, I can't not write. This hotel was a total ripoff experience for me. I booked through an agency, and there were problems with that. A long story short, I got a room at the top and the back, a tiny room with a tiny bed and a tiny shower (the wall slanted in) which would have been okay if it had been priced accordingly. What I was shocked to discover is that this tiny room with the tiny bed and the tiny shower (it is room 404, in case you want to know) was being rented out AS THE SAME PRICE AS THE REGULAR ROOMS WITH DOUBLE BEDS!!! When I pointed out the rather obvious unfairness of this arrangement, I was met with arrogance, defensiveness, and outright aggresion. I could go on and on about that: the rather tactless approach of the owner and her son, but there is no point. The point is, they are interested in getting your money, and once they have done that, they don't give a damn, because they know that you will never stay there again. See, the hotel rooms in London are so expensive and so hard to come by, that they can give really incredibly bad service and still stay in businesss. So, in my opinion, this is one to avoid.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank hutterdog
Reviewed 1 November 2010

To be fair, the price was so low I did not expect much. The building is old but well maintained. The welcome was great, the friendly receptionist looked after me, in fact everyone I spoke to was lovely. I was in room 403 which was warm, comfortable, with nice wardrobe and bathroom. The wi-fi was free. The breakfast was good. Can't really fault it and will certainly book in again.
The location was perfect for me as I was at a festival in Regents Park.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank hipswayno9
Reviewed 15 October 2010

The owners made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble.The situation is great near the princess Grace hospital and next door to fashionable Marleybone high St with many restaurants and boutiques.Would highly recomend this good value small hotel

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family