“Attended my daughter's wedding ceremony here”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jesmond Dene Hotel

Jesmond Dene Hotel
Ranked #234 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London Colney, England, United Kingdom
“Attended my daughter's wedding ceremony here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Lovely venue, fantastic layout, real olde worlde feel to the whole place. perfect wedding venue. The rooms provided for the ceremony and eating were spaciuous and well appointed, kept at a good temperature with wonderful decor

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We booked via the TripAdvisor app at 1pm and were checked in by 3pm! We got caught out by the weather when our train was cancelled and off the back of the reviews here punted for this hotel. £170 got us a one bedroom apartment with kitchen, plus a cooked breakfast - it is important to note that at that short notice, for a hotel spitting distance from Kings Cross, is exceptional value. Check in was smooth, we left our bags at 1.30 and got a coffee across the road at St. Pancras, and by 3pm were checked in - rather than part of the hotel it was a self contained place the other side of argyle square. Apartment was excellent, service was attentive, breakfast was good, all things I would have been happy with for a break, heightened by the fact this was a last minute and snap decision stay thanks to the weather. I would highly recommend this place for a stay regardless of circumstances!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeteHarris
Liphook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

After reading the reviews and also the options for the budget being considered we thought it would be a really good idea to book here. The location IS excellent, the service IS excellent, the quality of the rooms is simple and accommodating. We did not expect, our error for not paying attention, to have to share bathroom facilities, although we had no problems doing so...

The price is pretty competitive considering the area and there is plenty of foodie/drinky places to choose from.

So yeh, give it a go.. Simple is sometimes the best option :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

A warm welcome awaited us at Jesmond Dene and the offer of a free upgrade available from the Standard Double Room we'd booked, to a Studio Apartment. This made all the difference to our four night stay, and was really a home from home. The Studio Apartment was ideal, plenty of space, with a bedroom-cum-living-room-cum-dining-room, and a separate fully equipped kitchen (including a washing machine) and a small bathroom with a shower. The rooms were modern, comfortable and clean.

From the beginning to the end of our stay all members of staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, making us feel very welcome & well looked after.

We found the location ideal, very close to Kings Cross St Pancras with anywhere in London easily accessible using the tube/public transport.

We have no hesitation in heartily recommending Jesmond Dene, and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013
Penang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed in Jesmond Dene Hotel in Sep 2013 for 4 nights. The hotel is just few minutes walk from King cross underground Station. It is very convenient to hunt for food nearby or you may just get it from the station.
The room is small but clean, free Wifi provided and breakfast is superb (you got to wake up early as there is limited place to sit, call before you go).

Room Tip: You might need to request for room with A/C if you are travelling during summer as there is no fan i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank alicegoh2000
Dawson City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The most stressful part of travel is, for me, the first hours after landing exhausted and jet-lagged and having to find my way to accommodation. My last trip was made so much more enjoyable by knowing that I would stay again at Jesmond Dene. I simply take the underground from Heathrow, get off at King's Cross, walk across the street, and before I know it I'm in my tiny perfect room, so clean I could eat off the floor, with a little bed with lovely crisp linens and a mattress so comfy I want to take it home with me, in a place with friendly, cheerful, helpful staff- quite the opposite of the surly London attitude one often meets. In fact it makes me wonder if they all profit-share, since every staff member behaves as if they themselves were the innkeeper. I can manage running up & down stairs, and I don't mind sharing a well-kept shower-room with others, so this is a perfect match for me. A small inconvenience was that the public phone in the lobby was not functioning. In fact, there seem to be very few public phones in England that DO work. However internet services, bank machine, grocery, takeout food, and restaurants are all available within a stone's throw, and the phones at King's Cross train station were working. So i say, for me it's a "no-brainer" to stay at Jesmond Dene and I'll plan to do so again on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank Karen D
JesmondDeneHotel, Manager at Jesmond Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for such a glowing review of our hotel; even though you stayed in the most basic and smallest room we have in the building. I have never responded to excellent reviews however I feel compelled to do so on this occasion. Mainly because you have highlighted a number of key issues I believe are determining factors for travellers when looking for a hotel/B&B in London.

We are certainly not a boutique or high end 4 star; however we do put our primary focus on service and quality. For the benefit of travellers who are not from Europe, we are a 3 star graded hotel, which maybe different to some places in America or Australia. Here in the UK it means we offer basic rooms with shared facilities and standard rooms with private facilities. We will continue to offer these types of rooms as the demand in London is extremely high. Please ensure when booking that it is direct in order to avoid booking the incorrect room type and most importantly paying the best price.

Too many times I read reviews about hotels in London where they have spent millions of pounds on refurbishments. The grand marble entrances....modern slick fixtures and fittings that are generally unpractical or unusable. You then check-in to realise that the person behind the desk cannot speak English, does not know where the nearest Underground station is located, nor do they know anything about the city as they have most probably just arrived themselves. At the Jesmond Dene we have a small but quality team that work extremely hard to genuinely ensure that customers are happy. You will always have customers that want everything for nothing, or are so miserable that they could not write a few good words about anyone or anything. I think from the quantity of reviews we have on Tripadvisor it is fair to say we are doing a good job.

Thank you for reminding me about the faulty phone, in fact this is something I have ignored for a while so I am glad you reminded me. We are going to replace this with a vending machine which hopefully will have more use. To compensate we now offer a free phone service so that you can receive and make phone calls from the comfort of your own room free of charge. Certainly not what some 4 star hotels offer ;)

To conclude, If you want the hotel with the Eastern European receptionist that doesn't speak English just choose one of the many available at the cheap rates you find online, including some of those boutique 4 star hotels btw. If you want a touch of service, a team consisting of kind and caring people, then book a quality family run hotel. Remember- BOOK DIRECT so that you do not get ripped off!

Darren
Jesmond Dene Hotel
Tel: +44 207 837 4654
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Perfect location, excellent staff, wonderful hotel. The rooms are more than comfortable, they are kept clean, with fresh linen and fresh towels daily. Breakfast is delicious and the system used by the staff for accommodating their guests is superb. We certainly will not hesitate to stay at the Jesmond Dene Hotel next time we are in London. Thank you for a wonderful stay in London.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family