“Great service, excellent apartment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jesmond Dene Hotel

Jesmond Dene Hotel
Ranked #234 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Great service, excellent apartment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed in one of the apartments for a week in April 2014. The room was great, comfy bed, ample cooking area and sensational service from the staff in particular Darren and Jason. The apartment, including a great breakfast, is excellent value for London and the location is only a couple of minutes walk from Kings Cross and St Pancras station.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Jucey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This little 20 room boutique hotel is really nice. I like it. It is owned and operated by a welcoming family from Malta. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is well worth the 8 pounds. I had a private ensuite room on the 3rd floor. It was quiet and had a nice view out the front of the hotel. This hotel is literally across the street from King's Cross Station and St. Pancras where the Eurostar departs. I felt it was a bit pricey but it is in line with the other hotels of similar quality in the area. They do not have a lift (elevator) so if you have trouble with stairs ask for a room on the 1st floor. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: They do not have a lift (elevator) so if you have trouble with stairs ask for a room on the 1st floo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

As noted by others this is a very good location for access to transportation by tube, train or bus. The double room I had would not have fit two people but was okay for sleeping in. I was in london on business and it was not really possible to work in the room. Internet access was sporadic with limited connectivity. The bed was comfortable. The automatic light and fan in the bathroom are annoying but on the second day I noticed that there is a switch above the door which turns both off. Plumbing noise from rooms above me was loud. The room was very stuffy but the window opened and street noise was not bad. Hauling my luggage up the narrow winding stairs was a challenge. Breakfast was adequate at best given the price of the room. Get there early to find a table or have the front desk phone you when a table becomes available. I know that London accommodation prices are over the top but I expected more for $260 (Can).

Room Tip: Higher is quieter but you need to be in good shape to get your luggage up the stairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JesmondDeneHotel, Manager at Jesmond Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Harry,

Thank you very much for leaving your review.

As you have marked us 3 out of 5 I have looked into the problems you highlighted.

The noise from internal pipe work is extremely unusual for us. However after reviewing the problem it does seems that we had a faulty pump causing the problem. I appreciate your feedback as this has now been replaced.

In regards to the internet connection we have not had any issues for quite a long time therefore cannot understand what connection issues you encountered. As you did not mention this during your stay I am afraid we are limited to give you any feedback as to what was happening at that particular time.

I note that you had a room with AC and we would have been able to cool the room down if required but again you did not mention this problem while at the hotel therefore was unable to correct this problem.

Lastly in relation to the higher rate you paid. When you choose a prime location in Central London such as Kings Cross St Pancras you will find rates vary based on the time of booking and availability for that period.

If you booked that same room today for example I would have given you a rate of $130(CAD)

Do check us out again when you maybe in London again.

Regards
Darren
Manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the Jesmond Dene Hotel because its fantastic location a stones throw away from Kings Cross with the massive bonus of having parking available - I was forced to drive to Central London unfortunately, never again.

My stay overall was good but as I alluded to in the title; it should have been excellent. So why so conflicted? Well there were certainly plenty of positives; the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the parking was spot on - offsite then back onside outside when it was off peak, my room was clean and the breakfast was decent.

The downers were the following unfortunate points that are worth noting when booking:

- It was never mentioned during the booking process that some rooms weren't on suite - an issue with LateRooms maybe - so when I arrived to find out that my nearest toilet was downstairs and my nearest shower up two flights of stairs I wasn't best pleased given the price I paid (which was competitive for London prices but for a Tuesday night with no en suite seemed rather pricey to say the least).

- Breakfast starts at 7.30am. Now maybe I'm being picky for picky's sake here but in Central London when a high % of your mid week customers are business folk it seems rather late to begin breakfast and there was no chance of starting earlier which meant I ordered a simple breakfast and chucked it down in 5 minutes so I could get on the road with the inevitable heart burn.

On a side note and point worth noting rather emphasising as a negative is that parking is not included. I didn't expect it to be but again LateRooms didn't highlight the fact is was a chargeable feature.

Overall a few little tweaks and this place would be great. Had I stayed in a different room and fully read the t's and c's whilst I hurriedly booked it, I would have been giving this an excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Siv,

Thank you very much for your review.

I have checked your booking and see that you did book via Laterooms.com. Unfortunately this does mean that you paid almost 40% more as opposed to booking direct with the hotel which I think has contributed to your review. I am confident that if you had booked directly with us at a cheaper rate we would have received a 5 Star review which is what we are used to;)

In regards to the problem with Lateroom’s, they are unable to change the Room Types on their website so that they are in sync with our own. As a result they show standard rooms that have shared bathrooms which is actually described in the room notes, unfortunately people do not always ready the room description when booking with them.

For customers who currently have reservations with the Jesmond Dene and have booked direct please note that our ‘BASIC’ rooms have shared bathrooms and our ‘STANDARD’ rooms are with private bathrooms. We have received a number of queries from customers that are now worried they have booked the incorrect room due to this review.

To conclude I am very confident that if you had booked directly with us at the cheaper rate your review would have been 5 out of 5 like our majority. All I can do at this point is offer you a return visit so that we can discount a future stay to make up on the “almost” excellent review and hope that you will find our hotel excellent on the next occasion.

Regards
Darren
Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

The staffs, especially the General Manager are very hospitable, generous, and friendly in accommodating their customers' needs. I had a traveling arrangement issue to check-in, and yet solved by the manager who was very helpful. The hotel location is very strategic & convenient to travelers. Will definitely consider to opt the hotel again in future. And will surely recommend to friends & family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We found the Jesmond Dene was a perfect place to stay in London. Great location a block away from St. Pancreas underground. It was easy to navigate to and from. The staff was friendly and very helpful. They went out of their way to fix a pair of broken glasses.
My only small complaint was that the bathroom light and exhaust fan went off every time the door was opened and we didn't have the ability to turn it off since it was on a timer. In the middle of the night it was quite loud.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lkandel
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very comfortable bed and lovely squishy pillows (actually a better sleep than premier inn!). Darren was really helpful, ensuring we had a ground floor room with own shower facilities. Literally two minutes walk to st pancras station & kings cross and, for somewhere to rest your head for the night, perfectly adequate and reasonable price for location. Clean facilities, friendly staff - thank you!

Room Tip: Try and get ground floor room if you have hefty luggage
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family