“Shambolic is being polite”
Review of King Solomon Hotel

King Solomon Hotel
Ranked #977 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Lucky only stayed for one night and lucky that I had a room that had just been refurbished albeit by Laurel and Hardy. Very smelly along the corridors, stale sweat ,smoke and other things. Probably the worst breakfast I have ever encountered. I was saved by the boiled eggs; no egg cup but hard boiled and Luke warm so I took a chance on a low bacteria count and made a swift exit. Very noisy with drunken party's in the rooms and street which I found surprising as being in a Jewish area I never saw a pub. The area was the best thing with a good and great variety of restaurants as long as you are not looking for traditional English fayre.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Jaro505

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever visited.
Noisy in the night, slamming with doors al night. Sketchy place. As a girl I felt unsafe.
Horrible standard in the whole hotel, terrible rooms. A constant row of customers by the counter - with complaints and stuff that had to be fixed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank voncap
Reviewed 12 May 2014

King Soloman may have built the first temple in Israel but he should have stuck to that rather than go into the hotel business. This place is horrendous. The location is reasonable enough a 10 minute walk to Golders Green tube but that's the only thing this place has going for it.

The hotel is in awful condition, the small narrow hallways and stairs are cramped. The carpets are filthy and it was not a welcoming environment at all. The room was awful. It reminded me of my old student house, dirty carpets, no decor on the walls save for some whitewash and very uncomfortable put up beds.

The bathroom was so small that only small children or members of Cirque De Solei would be able to use them. It was not a good night's sleep at all, compounded by the noise from outside the corridor and the general boom and bang due to the rickety nature of the building's construction.

Breakfast was the standard piles of bread with jam and cereal. It was presided over by what I can only describe as a squad of vultures with the training of a West End dance troupe. They began circling in the run up to the allotted end of the breakfast, then, as soon as the clock struct 10.30 they swooped, removing all the items back to the kitchen with a ruthless efficiency that would make a German car factory jealous.

Most of the time, I think it's reasonable that they leave the breakfast buffet out for those who are still eating after the breakfast time has passed, especially on weekends. No such luck here. A lady came into the breakfast bar looking for a glass of water and was promptly dismissed by the vulture with a grunt of "breakfast closed!". The idea that we are their guests and have paid to stay in their hotel has somewhat escaped them.

So if you are looking for good accommodation and service then go somewhere else, in face, go anywhere else! However, if you are visiting London on a Charles Dickens tour, and wish to experience the abject poverty, misery and despair of his characters then this might be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here one very late Saturday night. The rooms look nothing like the pictures. It is an urban sprawl of a dump.

I was initially given a room on the ground-floor. After I settled into bed I heard the unmistakable sound of rats in the alley outside the hotel behind my room. They were not in the room (which was clean enough) and had no way of getting in the room. Still - enough to spook my out and I requested a room on another floor which was fine.

It is also a very noisy hotel with paper-thin walls and guests getting up at all hours of the night.

My worst hotel - and my worst experience. Avoid like the plague!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank DavidJBLevine
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked this hotel though late rooms and the pics looked fab oh boy was I wrong the entrance lobby was a building site staff ignorant but we grinned and bared it ,this was only the tip of the iceberg what a it hole dirty bedding cracks in the wall holes in the carpet and the list goes on and on, we stayed in the room 3minutes as long as my phone call to late rooms do yourself a favour and stay in a bus shelter it's cleaner

Room Tip: Look at the reveiws
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank stazsices
Reviewed 3 April 2014

its got no mattress or pillow protecters in the rooms, the rooms are nothing like the pictures at all, theres loads of mould either in shower or windows, rooms wernt clean properally and tv's dont work properally overall it was i dump,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank freddy992
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I was put here for work and have to say it is at the top of my list for the worst hotels that I've had to stay in.

If was clear upon entering the hotel that it was going to be a dump. Getting to my room felt like going through a maze and the whole place looked run down.

When I got to my room the door felt so insecure I ended up pushing the bedside cabinet against it, the bed was so thin, old and uncomfortable I ended up sleeping on top of the duvet. The radiator was permanently turned on and the bathroom so tiny I could only sit on the toilet at an angle!

I'm glad I only had the one night here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Lora B
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Viking Hotel
Best Western London Peckham Hotel
Venture Hostels
Venture Hostels
#713 of 1,076 in London

Been to King Solomon Hotel? Share your experiences!