“Was ok”

Ranked #703 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Was ok”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Originally booked into the classic Hyde park but for some reason was taken to this hotel. No explanation but just taken over by guy on reception. Was given a twin room on top floor, asked for twin so this was okay, room was fine, a bit bit shabby sheet I guess. Furniture was all in good order with none broken. Decent size room also. Bedding fine but with the usual too man cushions which ended up on the floor when I went to bed. Bathroom small but useable. Didn't stay for breakfast as I had to be up and out early. Not a bad stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DUNCRHINO186411

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. We were given a room in the basement which was very clean, a nice double bed, flat screen TV, ensuite bathroom. Not the biggest room, but it's fine. The only thing that was kind of tiny was the space between the toilet and the washbasin. We were lucky we are realatively in good shape because somone larger would have difficulties going to the bathroom. The room was perfect temperature wise. We opened a window (not because it was too hot, but because I like fresh air when I sleep), we also had a heater in the room (we didn't use it). There were extra blankets and pillows in the drawers. The shower had hot water and was very pleasant. The breakfast was also very good, coffe, juice, milk, youghurt, fresh fruit, cereals, bread, cheese, eggs, beans, etc. My only complaint is that although the staff is very nice, they are EXTREMELY loud. We came back one afternoon to take a small break and tried to have a nap and it as impossible. I know a hotel isn't a library, but this lady (and I think it was her normal voice) was practically shouting. Again, I'm pretty sure it was her normal voice and I understand that you talk while you work, but it's a hotel, the walls are pretty thin, so maybe if you know you have a loud voice try to speak lower.
Apart from that, which also only happened that one time, the hotel was very nice. It's two blocks from Paddington, about 5 minutes from Hyde Park, lots of restaurants and small convenience stores around. The man at the reception desk was also nice enough to let us leave our luggage there after checkout. Good value for the money, if we go back to London we will def. stay here again!

Room Tip: Room in the basement just where the stairs end (I think it was 3) is very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank viva_la_kim
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel at short notice. This is a budget hotel very convenient for paddington
The rooms are okay. Clean and tidy. There are signs of wear and tear. The bed in rpom 5 was very comfortable no complaints here. However the decoration is tired and some furniture is worn breakfast is okay plenty of it
Dont expect a full English. I was happy with choices
I would go back. But i would prefer to find a less tired hotel

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Tagomago03
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Hallo everyone,
I booked this hotel for 2 nights. When I tried find answer about How is it looks like with my booking, they didn´t answered. What´s sad, that they took my money and
They don´t want to give me this money back.

Be careful with this hotel. You have to talk to them face to face. They don´t care about email or telephone. They say to you something into telephone and after They don´t do what they promised.

Staff in hotel is very very rude. They don´t care about polite behavior. They are calling to you when they want. For example They called me in 23:30 o´clock.

Be careful about your money...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthewman

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2013

at first the room was dirty and tiny the size of the bathroom I have at home the bathroom the size of a large wardrobe, now I don't mind where I stay as long as I get a good night sleep and a proper shower, I have stayed in hostels and camped at concerts and I had better comfort at those than I did at this hotel it was that bad we booked it for two nights we didn't stay the second I slept on my mates floor and my partner on his couch, why we couldn't stay the shower didn't work so we had a good laugh in having to take turns in filling the kettle to pour over each other in the shower, it had no air conditioning so at night it was so hot I had to get a towel soak it in cold water and lay the wet towel on top of me so i could sleep the heat was that bad i was tempted to sleep on the street, it had no fire escape so if i brought my kids I be very concerned, the only good thing out of this hotel was the staff were friendly. If you are looking at this review do not stay here but on the up side we had a good laugh about it on the way home it was that bad it was funny.

Room Tip: avoid room 17 like the plague
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fatirishjoe
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I paid £60 for a one-night stay in room 2, a basement room at the front of the hotel with a double bed and two singles. I was very happy with the quality of the furnishings considering the price. I've paid far more for much pokier and meaner hotel rooms in Paddington. This room was very pleasant, with solid three-star, perhaps four-star quality fixtures, including big flat-screen TV and a decent en suite bathroom.

It was a little cold in the room (cold May evening, probably c. 10 degrees outside overnight). I was given a heater, but didn't want to leave it on all night, so I stole a second duvet from one of the other beds instead.

Staff were helpful and polite and loaned me an iPhone charger.

Hot and cold buffet breakfast was included and was quite nice. Packaged pastries, freshly-made toast, eggs, beans, cereal and fresh fruit.

Quite a large window so not too dark for a basement room. I was only there overnight so I didn't mind.

Staff were working on the basement level in the morning, as breakfast room and other amenities are there. They were considerate and kept very quiet until about 8am. After that I could hear them moving around and talking at normal volume. I was also woken up early by people having a conversation in the street at 7am. If you want to sleep a bit later you may wish to ask for a room on a higher floor, perhaps at back of hotel.

I never write hotel reviews, but I was just really charmed and pleased with this hotel, so I thought I'd spread the word.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for high-up floor at back of hotel for maximum quiet. Room 2 a good size, but is i...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Katrina Z
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Anything. It is the terrible hotel. We felt cheated. Two nights two different rooms. None of them comfortable enough for two people. But the second night was the worst of the worst. The first night se were told that, as we were a “nice couple”, we were going to be put in a better (???) room but tween bed, but the second we’ll have a double room in a better position (a big lie). The second night, the receptionist told us that anyway we have been place in the top room, and that maybe the hotel will compensate us. Effectively it was practically on the roof, but it was hardly a room. It was so tiny that we could not practically move, the mirror and the side-bed lights did no work. We were worn out, so did not complain that night. We were awaked very early by very noise pipes. Next day, we obviously complained, but not compensation, only bad excuses. The Piccolino hotel: a place to forget and never come back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple