“Could have been nicer but...”

Nottingham Place Hotel
Ranked #561 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The hotel photos look excellent but in reality rooms are much smaller than they seem on pics. The furniture is pretty worn out, carpets have bald traces and stains. Kitchenette is very basic, with microwave not a cooker, small sink and minibar-fridge, though some cutlery provided as well. The rooms facing the road are very noisy due to the old wood-framed windows which don't shut properly leaving gaps for sounds from the street and cool air.
The hotel staff is very nice and very helpful. Wi-fi works well and is free. Very good location of the hotel and proximity to tube station and Oxford street. The district is really nice and full of good restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Marianna_VM

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were due to stay at Nottingham Place for a little over a week; unfortunately after our arrival and first night it became apparent that this was simply not going to work out. Let me start by saying the staff was wonderful! They were very welcoming, nice, helpful, and in the end very understanding when we chose to leave after the first night. Sadly nothing else about the hotel was great. We booked the room knowing that there was a kitchenette in the room and we figured we'd have the ability to cook a few meals to save some money. The kitchenette is actually a wet bar with a microwave. The mini fridge was actually a fairly stocked mini bar and we would have had a hard time storing anything additional in it. The freezer of the mini bar was so frosted over that it took a good tug to get it to open and it appeared it hadn't been defrosted in years. More on the freezer in a minute. The carped was stained, dingy, and had several snags in it. The bathroom was very tired, hadn't had a good deep scrub in quite a while, and the trim around the bottom of the shower was coming up exposing more of the poor upkeep and cleaning. The Elemis toiletries are a nice touch but they don't redeem the bathroom at all. The bed was quite uncomfortable and both my husband and I woke up several times as a result.

We left in the morning to go to a doctor appointment and when we returned to grab a couple things before a trip to the zoo we found the TV on, and the entire contents of the mini fridge lying out on the floor with a towel at the base of the fridge. Apparently someone decided it was a good time to defrost that icebox in the fridge. In addition to the poor timing of the defrost (which really should have been done before we even arrived) the window was wide open and a small family of flies were flying around the room. This really couldn't have come at a worse time. We packed up and headed out quite quickly explaining to the staff that the hotel just wasn't going to suit our needs which they were understanding of.

Ultimately I'd say stay at your own risk; it's not the worst of the worst hotels and the location and staff really are stellar. I wouldn't recommend staying more than a night or two if you do decide to book and I'm sure we would have stayed if it were a short trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank KiwiandCheese
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I am a regular visitor that travels from hull on holiday to london at least 4 times a year. Nottingham place hotel has been my choice of hotel for the past 2-3 years. However, this time that i visited i never expected any of what happened to happen as i had very good expectations as i am a regular visitor. As i go out during the night i tend to sleep during the day untill around 1-2pm but this was not possible this time as cleaning and staff were constantly talking out loud and not letting me sleep. How inconsiderate. Also cleaning was not as good. Hand wash that i ised was very dirty on outside. If i was to move it there would be stains on the sink as it had not been cleaned underneath. Good staff recieve good and regular customers. Is this the case in mottingham place? I have always had good expectations untill now.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The room is all right - with the sleeping area separated from the sitting area. Although small, it has everything you need - a small kitchen with sink, cutleries, fridge, microwave, plates and cups. The bathroom is quite small, but again, it has all the amenities, even cotton pads and q-tips. One thing I wish it was better was the pressure of the water (shower).
As for the location, Baker Station is just minutes away, and you can even walk to Oxford Street.
The staff is also very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank odm_post
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here because all the normal hotels we stay at were fully book. I am so glad they were. For just a few quid more than a Travelodge you get so much more. The rooms are spotlessly clean. The bathroom is separate and there is a mini kitchen with kettle, microwave and mini-fridge and mini-bar. There was also a seating area separate to the sleeping area. The whole room was condensed but had absolutely everything you would need. Including shower caps and cotton buds. All this and just a 3 minute walk to Baker Street station. I would definitely book here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CenBrennah
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was surprised to see that the reviews were not more positive. I travel to London occasionally and found this hotel because I was tired at staying in the larger hotels that are expensive and have no character. I felt this was a real find. The location is simply fantastic, with easy walking distance access to Baker Street tube station and a very short cab ride from Paddington. It is walking distance to Regent Park and right around the corner from Marylebone High Street. It is about a 20 minute walk from Oxford St and SOHO, just right for walking off dinner. The hotel had character. The staff were helpful. The room was clean and had nice high ceilings. The bathroom was small, but, hey, it's Europe. Overall I would stay there again. Great value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anthony N
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed here with my fiance whilst in London for 2 days. We were in room 106 which is on the ground floor and paid around £150. The location is excellent and the staff that we met were friendly and helpful. The disappointing aspects were all with the room. I was in 2 minds when booking as the reviews were mixed but my experience was overall poor.

This is sold as a double room but we found 2 single beds pushed together with a 1" 'mattress' over the bases. I found it very uncomfortable as you end up lodged in the gap between beds.

The shower drained very slowly so if you stayed in there for longer than 5 minutes water would flow out onto the bathroom floor. The toilet was also extremely slow to refill after being flushed.

There is a TV in the room. This has basic stations but unfortunately the screen kept freezing and the menu kept coming on by itself...thus making it not too easy to watch.

All of these things are very easy to rectify and for a hotel so well located I really hope they take notice of my feedback and improve these things.

Room Tip: Ring them first and make sure they have fixed these problems