I stayed with two friends at Apollo Hotel in April 2012. I have generally low standards for hotels (as long as they're clean) so I was very pleased with our stay. After reading the other reviews for this hotel, I thought I should emphasize the following points:
1. Location -- If you're taking a train to/from St. Pancras and do not relish dragging your suitcases for a long time, you should stay at any of the B&Bs on Argyle Street (including Apollo) -- we noticed that there were quite a few of them. Most buses in London stop at Kings Cross, so this is a big, big plus -- and there's a bonus of Kings Cross being a Tube stop. We never ran out of places to buy food or change our money.
2. Price -- This place came cheap, and it does have free wi-fi in the room and around the hotel. The breakfast added to the value of the place.
3. Breakfast -- We stuffed ourselves with their big English breakfast, bread, fruit, coffee or juice. It was absolutely marvelous -- home-cooked and comforting.
4. Cleanliness -- Our room was cleaned regularly, and the stuff that we threw around in a panic in the morning somehow got tidied in the course of the day. None of our things were lost, too, so that deserves some recognition.
Feedback on our room -- It was quiet on the first floor (we were at the quadruple room above the ground floor). Basic interiors; had linens, pillows and towels, a radiator, its own bathroom (very small but clean). Very basic toiletries -- shampoo, conditioner, soap and dental kits.
The Not So Good
1. Stairs -- I read in a review that there was a lift hidden somewhere. Never saw it, so I was lugging my heavy suitcase up and down the narrow stairs. I got a feeling I couldn't ask for help, and no one offered (see point 2 below).
2. Service -- It's not as bad -- I think the managers are just not the warm, chatty type, but they were all right. Although...
a. I was a bit stressed out that they never gave me a receipt for the price that I paid for the room. I mean, how do I prove payment, right? I paid in cash to avoid the surcharge that I keep reading about, but the downside of not paying by credit card is not having proof of payment. And it was for quite a lot of money (we stayed for five nights). When I asked for a receipt they said they would give it to me the next day (no idea why it couldn't be done on the spot). We were there for almost a week but they never issued it.
b. I was also stressed out when I was emailing them prior to the trip to ensure that our booking was confirmed. I ended up calling them from the Philippines and getting booking.com to intervene (to get some questions answered).
Would come back because I felt it was good value for money. Hope the place improves.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apollo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.