“Adequate Lodgings in a Great Location”
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #65 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“Adequate Lodgings in a Great Location”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed with two friends at Apollo Hotel in April 2012. I have generally low standards for hotels (as long as they're clean) so I was very pleased with our stay. After reading the other reviews for this hotel, I thought I should emphasize the following points:

Good Things

1. Location -- If you're taking a train to/from St. Pancras and do not relish dragging your suitcases for a long time, you should stay at any of the B&Bs on Argyle Street (including Apollo) -- we noticed that there were quite a few of them. Most buses in London stop at Kings Cross, so this is a big, big plus -- and there's a bonus of Kings Cross being a Tube stop. We never ran out of places to buy food or change our money.

2. Price -- This place came cheap, and it does have free wi-fi in the room and around the hotel. The breakfast added to the value of the place.

3. Breakfast -- We stuffed ourselves with their big English breakfast, bread, fruit, coffee or juice. It was absolutely marvelous -- home-cooked and comforting.

4. Cleanliness -- Our room was cleaned regularly, and the stuff that we threw around in a panic in the morning somehow got tidied in the course of the day. None of our things were lost, too, so that deserves some recognition.

Feedback on our room -- It was quiet on the first floor (we were at the quadruple room above the ground floor). Basic interiors; had linens, pillows and towels, a radiator, its own bathroom (very small but clean). Very basic toiletries -- shampoo, conditioner, soap and dental kits.

The Not So Good

1. Stairs -- I read in a review that there was a lift hidden somewhere. Never saw it, so I was lugging my heavy suitcase up and down the narrow stairs. I got a feeling I couldn't ask for help, and no one offered (see point 2 below).

2. Service -- It's not as bad -- I think the managers are just not the warm, chatty type, but they were all right. Although...

a. I was a bit stressed out that they never gave me a receipt for the price that I paid for the room. I mean, how do I prove payment, right? I paid in cash to avoid the surcharge that I keep reading about, but the downside of not paying by credit card is not having proof of payment. And it was for quite a lot of money (we stayed for five nights). When I asked for a receipt they said they would give it to me the next day (no idea why it couldn't be done on the spot). We were there for almost a week but they never issued it.

b. I was also stressed out when I was emailing them prior to the trip to ensure that our booking was confirmed. I ended up calling them from the Philippines and getting booking.com to intervene (to get some questions answered).

Would come back because I felt it was good value for money. Hope the place improves.

Room Tip: Get a room at a lower floor -- stairs are narrow and a pain to climb with a suitcase. Note that the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jen L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Modena, Italy
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I chose this hotel in view of its excellent position: 5 minutes walking from the very central King's Cross tube station.

The building is a multi-storey old victorian house that has not been refurbished for a long, long time. The blue carpeting around the house looks very dirty.

Our room was in the basement: very basic, there was no wardrobe but just an hanging rail with some crutches. There was a chest drawer though. The room could have been spacious enough, but it wasn't at all as there was an extra single bed.

On the second day I dared to handwash some pants and socks and it took three days in the room to dry it: this gives an idea of how cold was the room, and the bathroom was even colder.

The worst thing was the noiseness of the room. During evenings we had the two children of the landlady trampling on the floor just above us for hours, but the main problem was related to the fact that we had the breakfast room just besides our room: apart from the noise caused by the other guests coming and going, the most annoying thing was the television at high volume that impeded us to sleep beyond 7:15 am.

Apart from the fact that we considered rude and unkind that the proprietors could be so careless about our sleep (the landlady watched soap operas while preparing breakfast), when we complained about the noise, we were offered another room but we were warned that this was going to be smaller than ours, so we refused. At least, though, we managed to have the TV volume lowered early in the morning (not even switched off!)

The breakfast was a positive note: they provide full English breakfast that was nice to eat.

Regarding payment: if you want to pay by credit card, expect to pay a 3% surcharge that seems to me a true robbery (this, of course, was not advertised when we made the reservation). In the end, we payed £450 for 5 nights that is an absolutely rip-off for the service provided.

Simply avoid it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bambacillo
Wigan
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed four days pre and post Eurostar travel, St Pancras being just accross the road. We were delighted with the hotel, considering the very reasonable tarrif charged. Rooms we had were good, enough room for my wife, myself and our suitcases and with space to spare. The en-suite was as good as any other we've experienced. What more could we want? Hotel is only a half hour stroll from the Thames, Central London and Theatreland, perfect. There are plenty of satisfactory eating eatablishments within a short walking distance of the Hotel. The staff were both courteous and considerate. Breakfast was excellent, hot and cold, plenty of fresh food as required. Nearing seventy now, my wife and I have indeed stayed in more 'expensive' hotels with all the 'frills', but for real value for our hard earned money, the Apollo will take some beating. We say, 'WELL DONE APOLLO' and 'THANK YOU'

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DRDWigan
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I booked this bed and breakfast through booking.com. We are a family of 5 with adult children, so we stayed in 3 rooms.

This is my first bed and breakfast and I think it's okay. Maybe more on the good side okay. I'll start with what I liked. The location is perfect! It's literally a stone's throw from King's Cross St. Pancras. The place is clean and well maintained. The rooms are cramped but are very well maintained. The breakfast is freshly cooked. And best of all, free high speed internet!

There is room for improvement. Well, maybe the managers can try to be more cheerful. While we were nonetheless accommodated, I would have given this 5 stars have they smiled more. Second, it's a bit cramped. Of the three rooms given to us, I stayed with a brother in what I think is the worst room - Room 12, the attic. Well, I can't blame them if they wanted to profit from every single square meter of space, but try to avoid this cramped room. They might also want to invest in sturdier furniture. The bedside table seems to be made out of cardboard. Third, the bathroom drain was a tad too slow. It takes several hours for the water to completely drain, so I had to bear a pool of soapy water from time to time.

While it may seem that I wrote more cons than pros, for me, the pros still outweigh the cons. And, yes, if you don't mind the lack of space, this place is value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 to 12 are on the topmost floor. I don't recommend this to those who lack exercise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank stephenco
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. We got in fron Scotland around 8am, got to the hotel at 11am but found out that check in was only at 2pm.
We decided to leave our bags and go into the city. when we got back and took our key, we realised that they had upgraded out room to an ensuite!.We were so happy and went down to thank them for the upgrade.
They had seen that we were tired from our trip and the best they could do for us was to upgrade our room! it was a sweet gesture that made all the difference.

The breakfast is filling, the hotel location is great. We were just around the corner from Kingscross and Pancras station which seemed to be a major hub for all the transport networks. The locationm made it easy for us to get around to the places that we wanted to go and when we got back in the evening, we didnt have to walk for miles to get to the hotel.
It was a delightful stay.

We were out of the hotel most of the time and all we needed was a bed and some breakfast, well, we got that and good family service.

I would recommend this hotel to any one who has already got their day plans set out for the time they are in London and all they are needing is a place to crash, take a bath and get good breakfast in the morning!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mwansa t
Worcester UK
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed in a twin room with ensuite. Room was small but clean, and the beds firm but not uncomfortable. Double glazing kept traffic noise to a minimum. We were on the top floor - there are 50 steps to get up from the entry level, 65 from the dining room, so tricky for the less able bodied. Bathroom was very clean and the shower worked well, as did the TV, kettle and hairdryer provided. Proprietors were very friendly and amenable, kindly allowing us to leave our bags with them as out train home wasn't until mid-afternoon. Breakfast was 7.30-9am, good choice of cereals, continental or a lovely English breakfast which sets you up nicely. Kings Cross/St Pancras station is really close and Euston is about a 10 min walk away. HSBC and Barclays bank also very close by. Tussards is a 30 min walk away and all sorts close from there so check walking routes before fighting with the underground. Day travel pass for zones 1&2 is £6.60 - AFTER 9.30am, more expensive before, and it's manic. All in all, a comfortable stay with good food and pleasant owners!

Room Tip: Stairs!! If you dont like them/can't manage them, you must say before booking.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cathryn75
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We used this hotal as an overnight stop over for Eurostar for which the location is ideal. The reception was friendly and helpfull and seems to double as a living room! We were on the top floor with 3 flights of stairs which would prove difficult for anybody less mobile. The room was tiny, with a 3/4 double bed and a tiny en-suite, but it was clean and had everything we needed. It's a fairly quiet area with only the constant distant noises of sirens that continue 24/7 in London to be heard. Breakfast was excellent with very courteous waiting at the tables. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby, but we went for local pub grub which proved better than the meals we had later in Paris! We would be happy to use this hotel again in future.

Room Tip: Go for one with en-suite for only a few pounds more.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple