“Don't believe everything you see on the internet”
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #74 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Gibraltar
“Don't believe everything you see on the internet”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

My first concern on arrival was that it was a Victorian house and it did not have a lift!
This was not specified on their website and I have trouble breathing, so did not find it very nice, and we were put on the 3rd floor.
The room is TINY and we asked for a double room, but we got 2 single beds pushed together, and the room is so small that one side of the bed is against the wall, so whoever wanted to sleep on the left had to crawl over the bed to get to their side.
The shower, oh my god the shower, it is only big enough to get one leg in. I only weight 66kgs, and had trouble in there,so I would hate to think what an average sized man would go through!
On the second day, when we went down for breakfast (Which was the only good thing about the place) the landlady asked us to go to reception to speak to her husband. He asked us if we would mind moving to a room that was in the attic, because he has people arriving who wanted a room with 2 singles, and the attic room only had a double bed. So stupidly we said yes and packed everything and waiting around to be moved, and after a couple of hours we went down to see why we hadn't been moved yet and he said: ''Good news! you can keep that room''
And we looked at him like ''you gotta be kidding me''
Apparently the other guests didn't mind the double bed in the end, so that made up for the fact that we had wasted all morning waiting in our room to be moved...
The central heating didn't work either, it was very cold.
And the TV was terrible.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rosiewarrior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
allerton bywater
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Ideal for a short stay. Room small but very clean, same with shower. I am in my late 70s with a walking difficulty and requested a room on 1st floor, this was granted , and although the stairs were a bit narrow I managed ok. We didnt have time for breakfast so cannot comment. The hotel is situated only a few minutes from St Pancras and Kings Cross stations. Great situation when travelling by eurostar. Very good value, especially when considered with some of the prices we were quoted for other hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ericAllertonBywater
bristol
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Stayed here for two nights,very friendly owners and welcoming

Only a couple of negative points. As we were in the downstairs room next to dining room - it was quite noisy from people walking down the stairs and landing above. Also the owners young children running up and down the stairs was quite annoying . Room was small,but beds were nice and comfy. Also the good breakfast, price of the room and the superb location to Kings Cross made up for it. On this basis I would definately recommend and stay again, but ask for a room upstairs, as other guests said it was quite quiet and had no disturbances.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Cadca, Slovakia
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

Pros: close to the city centre, British museum and King's cross train/tube station, polite and friendly staff, tasty english breakfast, clean room.

Cons: breakfast odour everywhere, surcharge for card payment, tiny room w/o storage space, tiny bathroom, steep stairs, wifi available only up to 2nd floor (iphone tested)-not in our room on 3rd

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank MacMatak
Hull East Yorks
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Excellent location just a few minutes walk from Kings Cross station. Rooms a little on the small side but does it matter when they are very clean and after all how long does one spend in the room? Plenty of hot water for a refreshing shower. Lovely friendly staff even helped to carry the cases up to the third floor ( could do with a lift ! ). Breakfast was wonderful full English lots of toast cereals and juice.Tea and coffee in the room. Would stay here again no problem and the price is very good .

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank squinth
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed with two friends at Apollo Hotel in April 2012. I have generally low standards for hotels (as long as they're clean) so I was very pleased with our stay. After reading the other reviews for this hotel, I thought I should emphasize the following points:

Good Things

1. Location -- If you're taking a train to/from St. Pancras and do not relish dragging your suitcases for a long time, you should stay at any of the B&Bs on Argyle Street (including Apollo) -- we noticed that there were quite a few of them. Most buses in London stop at Kings Cross, so this is a big, big plus -- and there's a bonus of Kings Cross being a Tube stop. We never ran out of places to buy food or change our money.

2. Price -- This place came cheap, and it does have free wi-fi in the room and around the hotel. The breakfast added to the value of the place.

3. Breakfast -- We stuffed ourselves with their big English breakfast, bread, fruit, coffee or juice. It was absolutely marvelous -- home-cooked and comforting.

4. Cleanliness -- Our room was cleaned regularly, and the stuff that we threw around in a panic in the morning somehow got tidied in the course of the day. None of our things were lost, too, so that deserves some recognition.

Feedback on our room -- It was quiet on the first floor (we were at the quadruple room above the ground floor). Basic interiors; had linens, pillows and towels, a radiator, its own bathroom (very small but clean). Very basic toiletries -- shampoo, conditioner, soap and dental kits.

The Not So Good

1. Stairs -- I read in a review that there was a lift hidden somewhere. Never saw it, so I was lugging my heavy suitcase up and down the narrow stairs. I got a feeling I couldn't ask for help, and no one offered (see point 2 below).

2. Service -- It's not as bad -- I think the managers are just not the warm, chatty type, but they were all right. Although...

a. I was a bit stressed out that they never gave me a receipt for the price that I paid for the room. I mean, how do I prove payment, right? I paid in cash to avoid the surcharge that I keep reading about, but the downside of not paying by credit card is not having proof of payment. And it was for quite a lot of money (we stayed for five nights). When I asked for a receipt they said they would give it to me the next day (no idea why it couldn't be done on the spot). We were there for almost a week but they never issued it.

b. I was also stressed out when I was emailing them prior to the trip to ensure that our booking was confirmed. I ended up calling them from the Philippines and getting booking.com to intervene (to get some questions answered).

Would come back because I felt it was good value for money. Hope the place improves.

Room Tip: Get a room at a lower floor -- stairs are narrow and a pain to climb with a suitcase. Note that the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jen L
Modena, Italy
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I chose this hotel in view of its excellent position: 5 minutes walking from the very central King's Cross tube station.

The building is a multi-storey old victorian house that has not been refurbished for a long, long time. The blue carpeting around the house looks very dirty.

Our room was in the basement: very basic, there was no wardrobe but just an hanging rail with some crutches. There was a chest drawer though. The room could have been spacious enough, but it wasn't at all as there was an extra single bed.

On the second day I dared to handwash some pants and socks and it took three days in the room to dry it: this gives an idea of how cold was the room, and the bathroom was even colder.

The worst thing was the noiseness of the room. During evenings we had the two children of the landlady trampling on the floor just above us for hours, but the main problem was related to the fact that we had the breakfast room just besides our room: apart from the noise caused by the other guests coming and going, the most annoying thing was the television at high volume that impeded us to sleep beyond 7:15 am.

Apart from the fact that we considered rude and unkind that the proprietors could be so careless about our sleep (the landlady watched soap operas while preparing breakfast), when we complained about the noise, we were offered another room but we were warned that this was going to be smaller than ours, so we refused. At least, though, we managed to have the TV volume lowered early in the morning (not even switched off!)

The breakfast was a positive note: they provide full English breakfast that was nice to eat.

Regarding payment: if you want to pay by credit card, expect to pay a 3% surcharge that seems to me a true robbery (this, of course, was not advertised when we made the reservation). In the end, we payed £450 for 5 nights that is an absolutely rip-off for the service provided.

Simply avoid it.