“Total Let Down!”
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #57 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2013

2nd attempt at this... we were booked into the Apollo on Friday 5th April for 3 nights - booking made by email and then confirmed twice by phone a month before travel (including the late arrival). Turned up at the hotel after 325 mile train journey arriving at 11pm. We were informed by the receptionist that someone else had taken our room - she blamed a new receptionist for the mistake. She then told us she had booked us into a neighbouring hotel which was a short walk away. It was our anniversary and the Hotel Apollo and its staff totally let us down. Also, they have tried to have this review removed once. All information in this review is factual and can be proven by emails, phone records and a witness from the neighbouring hotel.

Room Tip: On our experience I would not rely on this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Barrow_m

Reviewed 28 February 2013

The first time I stayed at The Apollo was with two couples. The other couple snagged the last double with en suite. After snooping round each others rooms, I decided I preferred the (1st floor) double that my partner and I were sharing.
The rooms are small, but are clean and have a reasonably tasteful, homely style decoration. There have been closets and sinks in each of the rooms I've stayed in.
The breakfast is substantial (and tasty) English breakfast.
The kids will be screaming about the place, I had to battle a resident toddler for the communal shower one morning on my second stay. However I find the very friendly, slightly odd family who run the place add to its charm.
The location is also amazing. It is literally one block from Kings Cross/St Pancras station.
This place is great value. I stayed in Russell Square for a night last time I was in London for about £15 less. It was one of my worst nights sleep ever. After a cold shower I checked out and walked straight to The Apollo, who were able to sort me out with a room for the rest of my stay.
I'll be back in May!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank K-opt
Reviewed 18 December 2012

My first concern on arrival was that it was a Victorian house and it did not have a lift!
This was not specified on their website and I have trouble breathing, so did not find it very nice, and we were put on the 3rd floor.
The room is TINY and we asked for a double room, but we got 2 single beds pushed together, and the room is so small that one side of the bed is against the wall, so whoever wanted to sleep on the left had to crawl over the bed to get to their side.
The shower, oh my god the shower, it is only big enough to get one leg in. I only weight 66kgs, and had trouble in there,so I would hate to think what an average sized man would go through!
On the second day, when we went down for breakfast (Which was the only good thing about the place) the landlady asked us to go to reception to speak to her husband. He asked us if we would mind moving to a room that was in the attic, because he has people arriving who wanted a room with 2 singles, and the attic room only had a double bed. So stupidly we said yes and packed everything and waiting around to be moved, and after a couple of hours we went down to see why we hadn't been moved yet and he said: ''Good news! you can keep that room''
And we looked at him like ''you gotta be kidding me''
Apparently the other guests didn't mind the double bed in the end, so that made up for the fact that we had wasted all morning waiting in our room to be moved...
The central heating didn't work either, it was very cold.
And the TV was terrible.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rosiewarrior
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Ideal for a short stay. Room small but very clean, same with shower. I am in my late 70s with a walking difficulty and requested a room on 1st floor, this was granted , and although the stairs were a bit narrow I managed ok. We didnt have time for breakfast so cannot comment. The hotel is situated only a few minutes from St Pancras and Kings Cross stations. Great situation when travelling by eurostar. Very good value, especially when considered with some of the prices we were quoted for other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ericAllertonBywater
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Stayed here for two nights,very friendly owners and welcoming

Only a couple of negative points. As we were in the downstairs room next to dining room - it was quite noisy from people walking down the stairs and landing above. Also the owners young children running up and down the stairs was quite annoying . Room was small,but beds were nice and comfy. Also the good breakfast, price of the room and the superb location to Kings Cross made up for it. On this basis I would definately recommend and stay again, but ask for a room upstairs, as other guests said it was quite quiet and had no disturbances.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

Pros: close to the city centre, British museum and King's cross train/tube station, polite and friendly staff, tasty english breakfast, clean room.

Cons: breakfast odour everywhere, surcharge for card payment, tiny room w/o storage space, tiny bathroom, steep stairs, wifi available only up to 2nd floor (iphone tested)-not in our room on 3rd

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank MacMatak
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Excellent location just a few minutes walk from Kings Cross station. Rooms a little on the small side but does it matter when they are very clean and after all how long does one spend in the room? Plenty of hot water for a refreshing shower. Lovely friendly staff even helped to carry the cases up to the third floor ( could do with a lift ! ). Breakfast was wonderful full English lots of toast cereals and juice.Tea and coffee in the room. Would stay here again no problem and the price is very good .

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family