Montana Hotel
Ranked #447 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I've passed 2 nights here recently. When I arrived in the evening it was a very good surprise that it was so near the station( a good point) and from the outside it looks great. So I thought I've made the good choice.
Even when I came in though it looked a bit old it was quite cosy. I had also chosen the place because there was an indian restaurant just beside( couldn't imagine to even try it after having discovered my room).
But my hopes were totally broken when I entered my room,, a dark, small and very bad smelling room with outdaded furniture and bedlinen . The bedspread looked old and not cleaned. The carpet was stained. The window was opened and it was cold inside the room, I thought it has been opened by the cleaning lady because of the smell. I was completely stunned they dared give me a room with such a bad smell, just as if people had been cooking and frying food here for days. A real shame! I asked for another room and I was given another room; But other surprises came.
In the second room the smell was not as bad but not as good as you expect in a clean hotel. The carpet was also stained and the curtains not cleaned, they looked more dark grey ...Here too the bedspread was so used and outdated just like the one you had at your grandmother's home but didn't seem so clean either.
The bed had no real blanket, just a very thin fabric made of synthetic and which didn't covered the entire bed so you don't feel comfortable and warm.I must admit the quality of the matress was ok.
The bathroom was smelling humidity and the 2 only towels didn't smell the good smell of fresh washing but humidity.There was not bathmat . Just the minimum.
There was no shampoo, no conditionner, the strict minimum
Finally the breakfast was as cheap as the rest , nearly nothing to enjoy, some pieces of pregrilled bread ( you can't even chose if you want white or wholegrain bread) some butter 2 choices of jam some fruit and only one choice of an awful yogurt.
This place doesn't make you feel good. I couldn't change as it was late and I had already paid for 2 days. It is a real pity when you are tired after a day of work that you can't crawl in a comfy bed and feeling just like at home in your hotel room.
In any hotel today, even the smallest one you've got nice and clean warm duvet cover you can crawl in knowing it has been cleaned just for you.
I travel a lot and this hotel needs a real lifting and rethink its whole strategy for welcoming people. Better go in a youth hostel than coming here again !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank cathyNice

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Room full of blackmold, bead spread worn and holed, Indian restaurant over charges then claims to 20% off yet you pay the menu price in the end. rooms are dated wall paper worn and loose. Woken at 6 am by staff cleaning.
Breakfast poor, toast, watery juice, cereals and yogurt is all you get offered. booked with booking com, £400 for 3 nights yet hotel demanded £460

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank flyerdel
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Montana for two nights in a single room with shared toilet and bath facilities. The hotel is in what I consider a perfect location. Steps from the Gloucester Road Tube station. I used the Piccadilly line from Heathrow T1 to get to the hotel and the same back to T5. There are some stairs at the Tube station which I was able to navigate without incident with my luggage. There is a good selection of places to eat in the area around the Tube station. Also a convenience store, a grocery store, pharmacies, etc…etc.
The hotel is small and the room I had being a single was also very small. It was clean and had a in-room safe, flat screen TV and a vanity sink. It was one floor up from the lobby with an obstructed view of Gloucester Road. There is an elevator but with luggage it is a one at a time device. You need to get out of it to change your mind. The shared toilet was down some stairs and the shower etc was down the hallway and then down some stairs. Both were clean but not elaborate or high end. The shower was in an old style tub with high sides ( 1940's or 1950's vintage ) that took some effort to get into. The shared facilities are only shared by two rooms so I never had to wait. My only comment is that the facilities were further from the room then I had envisioned. The TV service was a little disappointing. Their movie service was not available. If the station offerings were boring then you had limited choices. WiFi was free but it did quit on me a couple of times, probably due to heavy use. Anyone trying to stream videos or movies would have a problem.
One odd thing was the room key. It was an electronic card like most hotels today but it was attached to a large key tag. I was expected to turn the key in to the desk each time I left the hotel.
I did not use the restaurant. I went to a near-by pub for fish and chips on one occasion and Used Garfunckel's across the street for two breakfasts and a dinner meal. At a total cost of 150GBP for the two nights I have nothing to complain about. My wife and I have another trip planned with her parents for 2014. On that occasion we are staying in the same area but a 4* hotel. The cost will be significantly higher.
In summary, a acceptable choice of hotel in a very good location. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The main sights of London are quickly reached from this location. Young and energetic people could walk to Buckingham palace from this hotel. Harrods is a few blocks away, The V&A museum, the Natural History Museum,and the Science museum are all a couple of blocks away.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. This is an older, and smaller hotel that provides an acceptable product. T...
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here 3 times in October/ November it is so close to everything just a short walk to the Gloucester Road tube station. I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom room was a bit small but it was cleaned every day and the bathrooms were always very clean and I never had to wait to use it. The hotel has a lovely Indian restaurant the food was really good and reasonably priced. The staff were all very friendly and helpful to recommend things to do. The breakfast was included and lovely but if you wanted a cooked breakfast you had to pay extra. I thought the rates for a single room were very reasonable for the location of the hotel. I will definitely be back to stay when I visit London again.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

i stayed in the single bedroom with a shared bathroom in the corridor. nice if you want a central location in kensington close to the tube and you dont want to pay a fortune. the room has a certain smell which indicates the carpets should be cleaned a little more often. the breakfast is good, pay extra for eggs but who wants them nowadays. good for a quick and dirty one night stay, not tolerable for longer i would say. bathroom ok, just a little walk down the corridor

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed at the Montana for five days in a single room with shared bathroom. Firstly the location is excellent close to the Tube which takes you quickly to the city centre and Theatreland. The staff everywhere in the hotel were friendly and helpful. The shared bathroom was fine as it was clean and only once did i find it occupied. The room was cleaned everyday to a high standard and the bed was very comfortable. I do not want to moan about such a nice place but the only one thing i would have liked was a kettle in the room for a cuppa when i woke up. Apart from that a big well done Montana

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I needed a hotel in Central London with easy access to Victoria Station and I made a last minute booking in the afternoon for that evening in the Montana Hotel. I paid £72 for one person including breakfast

When I arrived I was shown to my first room which was in the basement and literally 3 metres from the main road. When I asked for a quiet room the receptionist told me that the rooms in the basement next to the road have double glazing so they were quiet whereas the rooms upstairs didn't have it double glazing. I tried two more rooms before finally accepting the third option which was the least noisy at the back of the hotel in the same floor as the reception. None of the rooms were particularly attractive and the one I took was a family room with beds for 5.

The decor was 1980’s and the room was generally very worn with an old TV with a remote control that had all the numbers worn away. All the rooms I saw were similar. There were no tea or coffee facilities in the room I ended up.

The bathroom was pretty poor. there were only tiny bars of soap and no shower gel or shampoo which you get pretty much everywhere nowadays so I never carry any when travelling. here was no bath mat so I had to use one of the towels and the shower curtain was poor quality. The shower (in the bath) was actually very good. The toilet roll holder was broken but interestingly there were 4 large toilet rolls so I was well covered in that department

There was a low noise throughout most of the night which I thick was coming form the kitchen ventilation system form the Indian restaurant next door to the hotel. The vent in the bathroom was also old and noisy. If you were sharing this room and got up in the night to use the bathroom you would wake everyone if you put the light on and activated the vent

The bed was comfortable but the bedding consisted of sheets and blankets rather than a quilt or duvet again a little old fashioned

The Wifi didn't work.

The staff I met were all friendly and efficient and were doing their best.

Breakfast was included in the rate (continental) but is served in an Indian restaurant next door to the hotel. I had to leave early so didn't take it

If you need a cheap place in a central location and aren't bothered about decor noise or comfort then you could find a lot worse

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, take your own shampoo and shower gel etc
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business