“Nearly a good place to stay”
Review of Montana Hotel

Montana Hotel
Ranked #429 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I almost liked the Montana. It's got a great Kensington location, right next to Gloucester Road tube and about 600 yards from the Victoria & Albert. It's also near coffee shops and quite a good burger joint, and close by is a French independent cinema, the Cine Lumiere at the Institut français du Royaume-Uni (where I saw the excellent Venus In Fur the night I stayed at Montana).

I booked a single room so can only speak about those, or more accurately, my own. At 69 quid a pop it's not cheap, but with London hotel prices spirally fast out of control for about half the population of the UK -I say that with all due bitterness - cheap hotel accommodation in London is disappearing over the horizon. The room was just about big enough to swing a cat but I have to say, the hotel used the space well. There was a fridge, a cupboard with a safe, a desk, a TV and a small but comfortable enough bed. And a hair dryer and a window.

Some may complain about traffic noise, and for sure, the window could have had another layer of glazing over it, but this is, after all, one of the centres of this capital city we're talking about, not a rural retreat.

My complaint was about breakfast. If the proprietor(s) is or are reading this, I almost feel like congratulating you on producing one of the worst breakfast experiences I have ever encountered. Presented in a lovely room, the adjacent Indian restaurant of lunch and evening-time (where residents receive 20% discount), it is an event all about profit-maximisation: the choice stood when I was there at: 3 cheap cereals, a couple of fruit juices, water, some basic fruit pieces out of a tin, some carton yogurt, toast, and the worst coffee I have ever been presented with in a hotel or b and b for many years. For nearly £7 EXTRA you can treat yourself to a mediocre looking English fried breakfast. This is the first time in Britain that I have ever been asked to pay extra for cooked food at breakfast. Pretty incredible. I gave it a miss on the grounds of expense, quality and principle.

A word about coffee and toast and the pride of the nation. The dee-redful quality of the most important drink of the day means I won't be staying here again. It tasted nothing like coffee - I managed two sips and left the rest. Toast. It is a feature of the worst kind of Brit hotel to dump a rack of underdone toast on your table, using the cheapest loaf of disgusting nutrient-free white bread than can be sourced. This, like the coffee, is totally unacceptable, and not just because I was three spoonfuls into a bowl of muesli when it arrived. I loathe the idea of non-UK tourists thinking that this is typical British food. It used to be 40 years ago, but most of the country has moved on. Sadly, not the Montana.

To speak more positively, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the lift worked, the room and reception area was clean and decently furnished and the outside of the hotel looks very nice. But overall, I don't want to recommend the hotel because of the attitude to breakfast. It is insulting, frankly, to be expected to eat cheap and shoddy goods and to be treated like one of a herd of cattle, a mere economic unit.

Not that the Montana need bother about a bad review like this one. It's fantastic location and for all I know, reasonable prices for foreign travellers, its frontage and clean rooms, means that it's rarely going to have a worrying amount of spare rooms of a night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JohnActor

Reviewed 22 June 2014

In May of 2014, I stayed in the Montana Hotel for 11 days with a large group--five adults and 23 college students. The staff at the Montana was consistently helpful as we planned the trip and accommodated our complicated rooming arrangements much to our satisfaction. I have worked with this hotel a number of times in the past with other groups and have always been impressed with their efficiency and graciousness. The rooms are clean and comfortable, breakfasts are substantial, and the fare at the hotel's restaurant is outstanding. Close to the Gloucester Rd. tubestop, shops and pubs and Kensington Park.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel last wkend.. Ideal location for getting around London, rooms are a bit small but I found this fine for what I needed ie somewhere just to sleep if going bk to London I'd stay here again for location.breakfast was just fruit and toast and tea...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2014

my sister and I stayed here for the night on 2nd June 2014, after going to the Albert Hall for a concert. It was very clean and well decorated, we were promised we would have interactive tv and games but internet was down bit disappointed but overall room was nice we had a tea and coffee maker, fridge, plenty of wardrobe space. We have stayed in other Hotels, over the past few years and this is the first well priced one we have stayed in with a Free continental Breakfast, we were very impressed service great. Well done Montana :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location with the tube station so close. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room which was described as a Deluxe Triple room, but although it was fine for a night I felt it was a bit small for a triple and I'm not sure about the 'Deluxe'!
Breakfast was continental and adequate but not inspiring.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nora H
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We. Booked online as we were going in to London to see miss Saigon . On arrival we were booked in by a very polite and helpful man . Room was smallish but very clean and well maintained. A very nice quiet night and a great continental brekkie. Staff are very polite and efficient . All in all a great stay but I'll try the restaurant next time as the menu looks great

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed for one night with family. The hotel is fabulously located - literally a stone's throw from Gloucester Rd tube so great for Kensington, and easily accessible from anywhere. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within strolling distance, but you won't find anywhere nicer to eat than the hotel's own restaurant, the Light of India. High quality food, and with a discount for hotel residents. The staff are all very friendly, always have time to talk to you about your stay, and go out of their way to meet any requests. Also decent value for central London - five of us paid £60 each for B&B. The continental breakfast was lovely, and full English is only £6.50 extra. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family