“Nice hotel but literally got woken up to men arguing and smoking crack cocaine at 4:30 am”
Review of Montana Hotel

Montana Hotel
Ranked #417 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel as u would expect it being in london was quite costly considering I was only there for the night! I was awoken to crack heads literally and when I informed reception they said that it's ok because they don't trouble us if they come in we ring police great hotel great location as Eurostar is a 5 min walk however I only felt safe during the day here come night time all the low life's crawled out the woodwork! I was a solo traveller so to me this was quite scary I would recommend it for couples or group travelling however as I believe in safety in numbers very clean and nice staff

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Donny8928

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Detroit Michigan
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I found the Montana room to be well appointed with a comfortable bed, small desk and ensuite bathroom with those nice British bath tubs. Some people may think the room is a bit small but for London I didn't think so. Plus the room is clean and doesn't smell (I've stayed at some cheaper places in London on prior visits that did smell musty).

Upon arrival at 10am, I was able to check into my room immediately and after coming off an international flight this was wonderful news. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and when my suitcase finally ripped completely, they were able to tell me where to get a replacement one just over the road. Actually the Montana is in a very good location, 5 minutes from the Tube station, 10 minute walk to the Victoria and Albert Museum and 15 minute walk to Hyde Park. Also there are a number of restaurants, ATMs, internet cafe, hair salon, hardware store, etc all on the same street.

Breakfast came with the room rate and was good as well. I'd stay here again and for me, the helpfulness of the staff and the hotel's location are the main reasons.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Barbara G
Hull East Yorks
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We always use this hotel( not to be confused with one near Kings Cross of the same name ) when we visit London, which is usually for Wimbledon Tennis, but not always. We have stayed here for the past 12 years and could not find even the slightest fault In all that time. It is very convenient for the tube station, plenty of shops like Waitrose and Boots and has plenty of places to eat from budget to nice steak houses. We used the restaurant in the hotel and was excellent . It is located just a short walk from Harrods, the museums such as V and A and the Natural history museum.The rooms are very clean as is the high standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel (no need to check the beds ) ! We had double glazing to keep out any noise , although it depends on the room location, ours was at the front so air con turned on and a lovely nights sleep. The staff are very good , friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good , plentiful and a large choice, cooked breakfast can be had but with the choice of cereals, fruit , yogurts, juice and toast we had more than enough. We always feel safe here which is one of our main concerns. Just like a home from home. I am sure no one regrets staying here and I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank squinth
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Nice,clean rooms. Nice to have a room with air conditioning Staff was polite and helpful. Breakfast was delicious. The hotel is in a nice neighbourhood with restaurants and stores and museums close by.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2014

First off all I would like to thank Ouggy for all his assistance and great advice!! The hotel room was spacious and well kept. We enjoyed the hospitality and the fact that Gloucester Station was so close. We asked for tea service as we kept missing breakfast and once we returned from morning excursions, we received room service tea to be kept and refilled in our room. The Montana was our home away from home. We will definitely stay there again and recommend to all our friends and family. Thank you again Ouggy and Montana Hotel!!!

Room Tip: Room 540 on -1 level is amazing!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I almost liked the Montana. It's got a great Kensington location, right next to Gloucester Road tube and about 600 yards from the Victoria & Albert. It's also near coffee shops and quite a good burger joint, and close by is a French independent cinema, the Cine Lumiere at the Institut français du Royaume-Uni (where I saw the excellent Venus In Fur the night I stayed at Montana).

I booked a single room so can only speak about those, or more accurately, my own. At 69 quid a pop it's not cheap, but with London hotel prices spirally fast out of control for about half the population of the UK -I say that with all due bitterness - cheap hotel accommodation in London is disappearing over the horizon. The room was just about big enough to swing a cat but I have to say, the hotel used the space well. There was a fridge, a cupboard with a safe, a desk, a TV and a small but comfortable enough bed. And a hair dryer and a window.

Some may complain about traffic noise, and for sure, the window could have had another layer of glazing over it, but this is, after all, one of the centres of this capital city we're talking about, not a rural retreat.

My complaint was about breakfast. If the proprietor(s) is or are reading this, I almost feel like congratulating you on producing one of the worst breakfast experiences I have ever encountered. Presented in a lovely room, the adjacent Indian restaurant of lunch and evening-time (where residents receive 20% discount), it is an event all about profit-maximisation: the choice stood when I was there at: 3 cheap cereals, a couple of fruit juices, water, some basic fruit pieces out of a tin, some carton yogurt, toast, and the worst coffee I have ever been presented with in a hotel or b and b for many years. For nearly £7 EXTRA you can treat yourself to a mediocre looking English fried breakfast. This is the first time in Britain that I have ever been asked to pay extra for cooked food at breakfast. Pretty incredible. I gave it a miss on the grounds of expense, quality and principle.

A word about coffee and toast and the pride of the nation. The dee-redful quality of the most important drink of the day means I won't be staying here again. It tasted nothing like coffee - I managed two sips and left the rest. Toast. It is a feature of the worst kind of Brit hotel to dump a rack of underdone toast on your table, using the cheapest loaf of disgusting nutrient-free white bread than can be sourced. This, like the coffee, is totally unacceptable, and not just because I was three spoonfuls into a bowl of muesli when it arrived. I loathe the idea of non-UK tourists thinking that this is typical British food. It used to be 40 years ago, but most of the country has moved on. Sadly, not the Montana.

To speak more positively, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the lift worked, the room and reception area was clean and decently furnished and the outside of the hotel looks very nice. But overall, I don't want to recommend the hotel because of the attitude to breakfast. It is insulting, frankly, to be expected to eat cheap and shoddy goods and to be treated like one of a herd of cattle, a mere economic unit.

Not that the Montana need bother about a bad review like this one. It's fantastic location and for all I know, reasonable prices for foreign travellers, its frontage and clean rooms, means that it's rarely going to have a worrying amount of spare rooms of a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JohnActor
Redlands, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

In May of 2014, I stayed in the Montana Hotel for 11 days with a large group--five adults and 23 college students. The staff at the Montana was consistently helpful as we planned the trip and accommodated our complicated rooming arrangements much to our satisfaction. I have worked with this hotel a number of times in the past with other groups and have always been impressed with their efficiency and graciousness. The rooms are clean and comfortable, breakfasts are substantial, and the fare at the hotel's restaurant is outstanding. Close to the Gloucester Rd. tubestop, shops and pubs and Kensington Park.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business