“Good Location, Decent Accomodations”
Review of Flemings Mayfair

Flemings Mayfair
Ranked #173 of 1,063 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Good Location, Decent Accomodations”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed here for six nights. The central location is perfect, and the room is not any smaller than one would find in a boutique hotel in New York City. Fine for sleeping and showering. The halls are a tad narrow and labyrinthine, with many little steps up and down. I had asked for a room away from foot traffic, and they put me at the end of a hallway, so it was nice and quiet (alas, this meant I forfeited any kind of view).

The front desk staff was courteous but also somewhat indifferent. However, the concierge was fantastic! He spent no small amount of time trying to find an open spa for my friend and I so we could soak our aching feet--all that walking! Failing that, he found some people who came to our room to do it for us instead. Hooray!

I didn't eat in the restaurant, but I did order a very late room service one night, and the food was fair. (Keep in mind, this was 1 a.m. besides.)

I did find a couple oddities on my final bill, but they removed them without fuss.

Overall, I'd certainly consider staying again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mplanglinais
Flemings2010, Guest Relations Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisorl following your visit to Flemings earlier this month. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I’m pleased that you were really looked after by our Concierge. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to our team, and very much look forward to welcoming you back to Flemings in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Flemings Mayfair Hotel exceeded my expectations. The hotel I usually stay at was full, so I tried Fleming's based on reviews and location--and was certainly glad I did. We stayed in one of the upgraded rooms with two beds. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The service was attentive and comprehensive, and the location could not be beat. What's more, since this was a small boutique hotel on a residential street, it was away from noise and heavy traffic, but very close to the tube station and bus lines. The hotel does not have large meeting rooms, but does have a restaurant, bar, and a lovely lounge where they serve afternoon tea. This was such a pleasant surprise, that I intend to stay here again on my return to London.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Flemings2010, Guest Relations Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
I’m so pleased to hear that the hotel exceeded your expectations in every aspect. We have recently invested in a refurbishment of many areas of the hotel so it’s lovely to hear that you enjoyed the bar, restaurant and Front Room. We’d love to welcome you back to the hotel for afternoon tea in the future.
arkansas
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at Flemings for 5 nights recently. The location could not be better due the convenience of the Green Park Underground Station and a good quick breakfast place around the corner. (Pret a Manger) We also enjoyed walking in the area in the evening. The outside of the hotel is nice, the lobby and public areas are well decorated and very modern. The room itself is average but in good order, clean and decorated in good taste. I did not find it too small. We were on the side of the hotel facing Half Moon Street and we did hear either a delivery truck or gargage truck several mornings early. (I just expect that in a large city) I never heard any noise from any of the other rooms or from the hallway. The staff was pleasant and helpful. I would have liked to have had free internet with our room so I could check my email on my iphone but did not want to pay the extra amount for just a few minutes each day that I would need it. I would stay here again and would recommend it to my friends. I think the price we paid was a good value for the nice area. Mayfair is a wonderful neighborhood to stay in!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArkansasTravelhog
I’m glad to hear you had such an enjoyable stay at Flemings. We have recently invested in a refurbishment of many areas of the hotel so appreciate you comments on the public areas. The location is one of our best assets and I’m pleased to hear that you made the most of the area. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the hotel, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Maybe a somewhat belated review – I visited this hotel in the summer of 2010 -, but all reviews may be helpful. Let me start with saying that I would certainly return to Flemish Mayfair.

Having read all the reviews before booking I grew somewhat anxious about some rooms suffering from outside noise. Mainly from ventilation shafts in the inner court if I am not mistaken. This made me contact Branca Sabbagh, the guest relations manager, to ask for quiet room. Just to avoid disappointment upon arrival. She responded within 1 day with the information that she had already reserved a room on the ground floor on a quiet street ( I wish I took a note of the room number). This was a great relief and made me look forward even more to my stay.

Expectations were very high after reading all the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. This made me expect a top class five star hotel (*****). Well, this wasn’t to be true, but I admit my expectations had grown unreasonable high. Having said this, the hotel is good. Small room, but clean and quiet. Good bathroom and room. I liked the free newspaper every morning.

Reception friendly and especially the porter very friendly. Clean entrance hall, but somewhat cold looking. I would have loved more wood and less marble.

Location great. Not far from the underground, but why should this be important with a location like this? I walked every morning in 20 minutes to Picadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square. London is a big and busy city, but a morning walk is a good way to be part of it. Anyway, I enjoyed walking and see the city being alive at 8.30 – 9.00.

I haven’t used the restaurant, so can’t comment on it. Breakfast remains the weak point of the hotel. Being Dutch, I am used to a simple continental breakfast: that’s not the problem for me. Service could at times be much better. I had to ask for butter. A waitress taking orders with folded arms. Returning three times with the same question to a guest. Remember this was in 2010, service may have improved as it should.

To summarize.
Would I return: yes!
Weak point: breakfast.

Ritze
The Netherlands

Room Tip: Avoid room close to outdoor ventilation shaft
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Ritze
Flemings2010, Guest Relations Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
I’m delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay at Flemings, and that my confirmation of a quiet room before arrival gave you comfort and reassurance. The team at reception will be pleased to hear your praise so I will certainly ensure I share this with them. I’m disappointed to hear your experience at breakfast did not live up to expectations. Since your stay we have made investments into many of the public areas of the hotel and I’m sure on a return visit you will be impressed by the changes.
Grimsby
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We normally come down to London twice a year to see a show, shop, eat out and soak up the atmosphere of our capital city. Our favourite hotel (the nearby Cavendish in Jermyn Street) was pretty fully booked and the only rooms left there were on a very high tariff. But the reservations lady at the Cavendish was gracious enough to direct us to Flemings as a suitable alternative.

Booking was easy and pleasant, the staff were very friendly on the phone. The best room price available at time of booking, though cheaper than the Cavendish, was still quite expensive at £250 per room inclusive of breakfast.

Location was a bit further west from the theatre district so walking to and from the hotel meant we had to allow an extra ten minutes. Not a problem, but we prefer the convenience of being nearer Piccadilly Circus.

The staff on arrival were brilliant, friendly and helpful. The lady on reception gave us free internet access which was a lovely touch. The rooms were a tad on the small side (we had rooms 415 and 416), but were clean and more than adequate. Comfortable beds too, but not as comfortable as the amazing beds at the Cavendish, which we would rate as the best hotel beds we have ever slept in. Quiet rooms, undisturbed apart from the normal background city hum.

Breakfast was where the hotel really slipped back, demonstrating that any hotel's reputation is made up of a house of cards, built by the quality of its staff. One unsteady card can bring the rest crashing down, leaving the guest feeling short-changed.

I ordered a cooked breakfast. After 20 minutes, nothing (apart from a rack of cold toast) had arrived. After asking twice, it finally arrived, almost 40 minutes after ordering. It was, I have to say, very good when it finally appeared but I couldn't understand why there had been a problem, the restaurant wasn't especially busy and I regret to say that the staff just didn't seem at their best. Not rude as such, just a bit distracted and off hand. This was unexpected as all other hotel staff had exceeded our expectations.

The checkout was painless and our bags were well looked after until we left for Kings Cross at 1.30pm. The porter found us a taxi very quickly and waved us off.

So, to summarize: Very good in most areas. Has Flemings Hotel done enough to knock The Cavendish from top place? No. But would I be happy to return to Flemings if rooms at the Cavendish were not available at our preferred tariff? Yes.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonothan_and_Elaine
Flemings2010, Guest Relations Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for sharing details of your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff to be friendly and welcoming.

It’s disappointing to hear that breakfast did not live up to your expectations, and I apologise for the delay you experienced. I will ensure your feedback is passed on. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and ensuring that you leave with 100% fond memories of your stay here.
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed here on the 21st May for my partners 50th birthday, and brought along our two Westies.
The service and welcome we received was first class. Before we arrived we had a call from the hotel to see what we would like getting ready for our two little westies.
On arrival we were given a wonderful welcome like we had stayed many times. The gentleman on the door said hello and welcome and even knew our dogs names. Although we had arrived early our room was ready. Our room was on the ground floor and was very tasteful wooden floor and two baskets ready for the dogs. We were even asked if we needed food getting for them. Of course they had matching dishes with fresh water.
As for us it was very clean comfortable and luxurious it had everything we needed. The room was hot but the aircon worked fine and was not too noisey. A maid brought us some delicious cookies in made a fuss of the dogs and even offered to walk them for us after she had finished.
The location is excellent even more so if you have a dog, green park is just across the road. I believe guest services even arranged squirrel s for the dogs to chase. It was doggy heaven for Max and Tottie they did not want to get out of their baskets to leave. As for us we thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a brilliant hotel it was a special treat and more than what we can usually afford but it was worth every penny. We will be checking their website to check for offers so we can return. Next time we would love to try their afternoon tea.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank wadsleywesties
Thank you for posting your comments on the hotel on Tripadvisor. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Flemings, and flattered that you picked the hotel for such a special celebration. It’s wonderful to hear that Max and Tottie enjoyed their visit to the hotel, and enjoyed the outdoor space that Green Park has to offer. We love welcoming pets at the hotel and see them as part of the family, and hope to welcome you all back to the hotel again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2011

The hotel is completely unexpected. On a quiet side street off Piccadilly St, the entrance looks classic with white columns. The minute you walk in you feel like you are somewhere else. The staff is friendly and always helpful.. The bar, the dinning room and even the elevators are interestingly and beautifully done. Our room was a bit small, but had everything we needed. The bed was very comfortable with great pillows. I loved the dinning room. It was beautifully decorated and the food was excellent, particularly their steak and duck. The mixed drink however, was not that impressive (small and pricey). They had the same menu the entire week, so you may want to try a few local places. We found Harry's Bar and Grill around the corner 1 block up on Piccadilly st. was great! There is also a little hidden restaurant row; ask the hotel for directions ( its up the street, left hand turn into a hidden side street) away from Piccadilly st . Had a great time. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mcruz44
Flemings2010, Guest Relations Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
Thank you for your recent review and photo of the hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s lovely to hear you enjoyed your meal in The Grill, and found the food and style of décor to your liking. We are always looking to enhance customer experience and bring something new to our guests, and having recently invested in a refurbishment of the hotel it’s pleasing to hear your comments. Our team takes pride in ensuring they deliver excellent service to all our guests, so I will ensure I pass your feedback on. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.