Flemings Mayfair
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$491
US$256
US$233
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$159
US$215
US$171
galahotels.com
2,003 results
All reviewsgreen parkhalf moon streetbuckingham palaceshepherds marketdrawing roomafternoon teabond streetpiccadilly circusquiet streetlovely hotelthe ritzthe ground floorthe location is perfectsmall hotelcontinental breakfastsmall roomwest end
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The good stuff:
the hotel Concierge(s) , Francisco and Pedro were outstandingly nice and helpful and a real pleasure. The gentlemen that hosted at the door (sorry, do not know your name...) was also top notch and we enjoyed the elegant attire. The location was great as previous reviews have noted. The continental breakfast was very good and the room and hotel nicely appointed. The bathroom was large and beautiful. Morning paper at door was nice. Street very nice.
The not good stuff:
we paid $672.00 (dollars) each night- for 4 nights- for a room for myself and two teen-age sons. It was called a family room- THAT was not accurate. There was a sofa bed wedged in a corner and we could not navigate past the desk and chair to get to it. The other bed was a king size bed split down the middle- this was sold a room for 3- and thus the price. It was VERY small for the price- and sadly all beds and pillows were hard. The Wi-Fi was weak and to upgrade was additional charge. When we were leaving, we asked an older woman who seemed to be in charge at the desk if we could leave our luggage in room for half hour beyond check out time and were refused and told to put it in storage. Nice send- off. The room was not ready for us when we arrived, although we did arrive at 11 am so were early.

Room Tip: You may want two rooms if more than two guests.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Chabrro
Branca S, Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your positive review of our Concierge team. We have passed onto them your kind comments about the service your received.
We are sorry to hear you were not comfortable with the size and layout of your room. Please be aware there is always a Guest Services Manager available should you have wished to have seen other rooms. Our standard check out time is 11am, however we are happy to extend this subject to availability. Unfortunately on this occasion it was not possible. We have secure luggage storage, as my colleague mentioned, and are always more than happy to store guests’ luggage here.
Again thank you for your review and should you choose to book with us again please contact our guest services directly on guest.services@flemings.co.uk and they will ensure you have an enjoyable stay and receive the best rate guaranteed.
Thanks
Kind regards,
Oliver J Brown, General Manager.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The cons outweighed the pros for me on this hotel,although it is off Piccadilly and opposite Green Park I preferred the location of the Premier inn County Hall,my room was tucked away next to the housekeeping room so night and day there was banging going on next door,when I had a knock on my door I called out for them to wait a minute and they walked straight in and there I was in the loo in full view!! But my biggest gripe is that i needed to make a cpl of local calls from the room and,unfamiliar as I was with the number of digits required in the UK, dialled some incomplete numbers which didn't get connected but I still got charged for 10 tries at the number amounting to £12.55,I won't be recommending this hotel to anyone,there are better ones around.

Room Tip: Don't choose 213
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KLM3199
Branca S, Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay and I am sorry that you have left feeling disappointed. I would like to apologise for the disturbance caused by the Housekeeping staff and assure you this has been addressed with the Housekeeping team and re-training on our standard procedures is being conducted.
In reference to the telephone charges you incurred I have sent you a direct message today so we can locate your reservation and have the charges refunded to your credit card. I am sorry that this billing error was not recognised by our Guest Services team on the day of your departure and would like to sure you this amount will be credited back to you when we received your details. Thank you again and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I am a regular customer of the Small Luxury Hotels chain and often pick a hotel because it is a member of that elite group of hotels.

Do not expect this hotel to live up to the standards of the SLH group however. The rooms were small and tired looking; they certainly did not look like the ones shown in their photos. We spent GBP300 per night but were dismayed that the rooms were not luxurious in any way. The mostly Eastern European cleaning staff were rude and knocked on your door "just to check" if you do not leave your room early in the morning when they are doing their rounds. If you do not book your room directly with them or on the SLH website, the front office will not give you any special treatment and will give you the worst rooms available, regardless of how much you actually paid for the room or how long you will stay as all Hotels.com or Booking.com bookings are considered "discounted" already so no upgrades, breakfast etc.

Wifi is really only free at a good speed in the public area. The one you get in the room is a much slower speed one good enough for emails only, not real surfing; unless you pay more to upgrade to the faster speed. Disgraceful considering how much they charge you for the room.

The only saving grace was the location of the hotel which was in the nice Mayfair area, 10 minutes walk to Oxford street shopping. I will not return to this hotel and would certainly be more discerning when evaluating SLH hotels in the future. One simply cannot rely on the SLH brand name alone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank anavidworldtraveller
Branca S, Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay and I disappointed to learn we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We do endeavour to upgrade guests on a daily basis whenever possible, especially our SLH members or guests celebrating a special occasion. Unfortunately it is not always possible however and I would like to ensure you we would not determine this based on the booking origin. In reference to Housekeeping disturbing you I am sincerely sorry and will ensure this is addressed with our Head Housekeeper and would like to re-assure you this was a one off occurrence and not the norm. I am pleased that you liked our location, we are lucky to be centrally located. Should you choose to book with us again, please contact our Rooms Division Manager; Paul Rafferty on paul.rafferty@flemings.co.uk who will personally oversee your reservation and ensure you have a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

First, the Pros: amazing location, walkable to most major sites, in a very affluent and nice area near the Green Park tube stop, and the room decor was beautifully done as was the decor in the rest of the hotel. Rooms are very small (just a few feet around the bed on all sides) but about the size you would expect in London.
However, we had a few problems with this hotel and expected more in terms of overall service, especially given the rate (about $350 per night). We had requested an early check-in over a month in advance since our overseas flight was scheduled to arrive early that morning. Our flight was delayed and when we arrived (exhausted) around 2pm our room was not ready and would not be ready for another hour (though we do understand that it is based on availability) - however, the only way to change out of our airplane clothes was to board a very compact elevator and maneuver our luggage through a narrow hallway on a lower level to reach a restroom- awkward to say the least so be aware of this if you may arrive prior to when your room might be ready. We returned to put our bags in our room later and, upon waking up the next morning, realized that our room, while not on the ground floor of the hotel, adjoined some stone steps outside the hotel so it was effectively at ground (or partially below ground) level with a window towards to top of the room- not ideal in terms of safety.
Additionally, we returned to our room in the middle of the day to find that the door had been propped open with the deadbolt (presumably for housekeeping) yet there was nobody from housekeeping in our room.

Room Tip: Be aware that some first floor rooms are actually "ground" floor outside the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 2013_Travel_Bug_2013

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I am pleased that you were able to make the most of our wonderful location and that you liked the beautiful décor in the room and throughout the Hotel. I am disappointed however that you have been left with a negative impression of our overall service as this is something we pride ourselves on.
Should a guests room not be ready on arrival at certain times we are able to offer a 'shower room' for our guests to freshen up and change. If this was not available upon your arrival we do have the restrooms as you mentioned and I am extremely disappointed that you were not offered any assistance with your luggage by our Concierge or Guest Services team.
In reference to your door being left ajar I am extremely concerned as this is not a common practice by our Housekeeping team and certainly not a procedure. Additionally we have recently upgraded our door locks throughout the Hotel and the dead bolt should not engage unless the door is completely closed. I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and ensure you that I will address this with our Head Housekeeper.
Please be aware that we have a Guest Services Manager available 24 hours so should such situations occur during your stay, please contact them directly and we can investigate immediately.
Again thank you for your review and should you choose to book with us again please contact me directly on guest.services@flemings.co.uk and I will personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here at the weekend as a last minute stay in London. We had a great stay and loved the hotel decor and location. All of the staff were externely friendly and very attentive. The one annoying factor was with the reservations staff.

I phoned the hotel on a Friday night and it appears that everyone from the reservations team had left for the day and as such I was asked to phone back the next day. I followed the instruction and finally got connectedto a lady in reservations on the third attempt.

Flemings operate a best rate guarantee on their own website. This being that if you find a rate elsewhere, they will match the rate and discount this by an additional 5%. I had a package in front of me on Secret Escapes website totalling £149. This included breakfast, VAT, unlimited movies etc. I proceeded to tell the reservation agent these details and her reply was "The best rate I can offer you tonight is £155". I asked why this was more than the £149 on Secret Escapes, but she could not answer and was not authorised to override the rate and price match.

It's a pet annoyance of mine with the hotel trade in general. Please do not offer best rate guarantee's if you are not going to honour this. Please make sure your staff know the rates available online and are fully equipped to deal with these enquiries.

Luckily I decided to just book with Secret Escapes and we really enjoyed our stay.

It's a little thing, but can be the difference between a reservation or not.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hospidium
Branca S, Manager at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you very much for your recent review following your stay at the Flemings Mayfair Hotel!
We are pleased to learn you have enjoyed your stay and you loved the décor and the team we have here.
The Best Rate Guaranteed policy does have “fine print” and several terms and conditions; therefore the package you were looking at was not applicable under this policy on this occasion. Saying this, I believe we could have been more accommodating with your enquiry and we could have dealt with your requests in a more professional manner. I am disappointed you have been left with a negative impression of the reservations staff and will ensure further training will be conducted.
Please contact the guest services team (guest@flemings.co.uk) on your return visit and we will ensure you will not only receive the Best Rate Guaranteed but we will ensure you will have a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.