“Legendary”

Ranked #167 of 1,067 Hotels in London
london
“Legendary”
Reviewed 12 December 2009

One of the most enjoyable stays I've ever had, incredibly polite and attentive staff, beautiful rooms and wonderful food. The positioning couldn't be better to get to the west end. I genuinley reccommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
7-12Flemings, Guest Services Director at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 11 January 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Flemings. I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Guest Services Director
Branca Sabbagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I have very mixed feelings towards the Flemings Mayfair.
The hotel itself seems very nice, very nice decorations, lovely Christmas decorations.
My room itself was nice as well, rather spacious, nicely decorated, the bathroom had a nice bath tube, it was also good size.
BUT....1. my room was on the ground floor, so I couldn't open the window which was very annoying because it was incredibly hot in the room, seriously! You could switch on the air con but it was VERY loud and cold, so you really couldn't sleep with the air con turned on. (at night there was the choice between relatively calm and very hot and cold and loud, i opted for the calmer option...)
Then again because of the ground floor, my room was rather weirdly located, next to the stairs which lead upstairs to other rooms and next to some industrial stairs for staff use only. So the staff would come to that corner to talk, to speak on the phone etc, also in the evening so it was very noisy, you could hear the entire conversations, doors being shut etc...not very nice if you had an exhausting day.
The staff in general, what i can i say some of them VERY nice and friendly, others rude...
Breakfast was another new experience...the first day at breakfast, i don't what happened there but i've never seen so many angry guests in the morning, we weren't served, you had to wait for half an hour to get some tea or coffee, then another half an hour for the food and the the orders got messed up. After waiting for 40 min for my omlette i didn't even eat it because it tasted like...nothing at all...and certainly not like eggs....staff seemed incompetent and arrogant, just one huge disaster.
BUT on the second day the service at breakfast was MUCH better and friendlier, ok there were +/- 6 guests in the entire restaurant so it wasn't hard to handle but still, better service and better food! The buffet however was a bit poor, no real cheese, no ham, just some greasy salami...Good fresh fruit choice though!
I have very mixed feeling when it comes to the flemings mayfair, i think next time in london i will stay somewhere else...

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank papeetee
7-12Flemings, Branca Sabbagh Guest Services Director at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 10 February 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive criticism, I am most concerned to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I would really appreciate it if you would contact me on 020 7499 2964 to discuss your stay.

Kind Regards

Branca Sabbagh
Guest Services Director
Copenhagen
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The front desk was busy with guests seeking to change their rooms when I arrived, as was different guest when I left for my meeting in the morning. Yet another guest stood attempting the same thing when I returned in the evening.

The staff were friendly and efficient, but had few options available. I switched rooms because the bed in my first room was broken.

Room 318 - The bed sagged heavily to one side and made me feel like I was falling out of bed. The window opened onto a courtyard with several noisy extraction fans.

The room was small, but the hotel was inexpensive given it's location. There was room for a double bed, but I'm not sure where your luggage would go. My overnight bag fit under the desk.

I am not a giant, but at 6 foot (ca. 185cm) I could put my palm on the ceiling without fully extending my arm. The room was roughly the size of a small ship's cabin.

The bathroom was fine.

Room 308 - You could get in and out of either side of the bed and the bed was flat (an improvement). The room was extremely warm, but at four AM I discovered this was because the heated towel rack in the bathroom was turned on full power. Again, the ceiling was low, but the room was otherwise adequate.

If I had been given room 308 on the first night and had discovered the heat source earlier, I would probably have given the hotel a positive review. As it is, I saw several rooms in addition to the ones I slept in. Those on the ground floor open directly onto the street - as in shake-hands-with-passersby-from-your-bed directly onto the street. Not so good if you like to sleep with the window cracked for fresh air.

The staff were friendly.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank CPH-NYC
yorkshire
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Excellent staff, the rooms are first class as is the service, I would recommend it to anyone. It is in an ideal spot for getting around London.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank rubygirl5
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Purpose of the trip was business. My colleague and I visit London every year for 7 days of meetings. We always stay in Mayfair. Our requirements are: 2 bedroom apartment with living/lounge room (for meetings) and small kitchennette. Basically a home-office away from home - nothing too upmarket.

I stumbled upon this hotel after a disastrous almost -booking with Curzon St apartments. We stayed in the ground floor apartment next the hotel. It has it's own separate entry which is quite charming. The street view is attractive. There are 3-4 apartments all up that are accessed through this separate entryway. Ours was a 2 level, 2 bedroom-2 bathroom-kitchen-lounge room apartment. Entry floor was the kitchen and lounge room. Downstairs were the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Kitchennette was good. Modern clean looking appliances (microwave, fridge, toaster, stovetop) with Euro laundry. Not sure how often these were used. We ordered two filter coffee machines from the Flemings restaurant to use during the meetings. Lucky I decided to give it a test run before serving coffee to our clients - bits of white filmy goo were "filtered" out. No problems - I thought - this should clean itself out in 1or 2 filter cycles. I gave up after passing plain water (with no filter paper) through the machine continuously for a day and there was no let up in the goo being produced. I felt sick. No hotel breakfast for me.

The lounge room was a fantastic size. This is the highlight of the apartment. A meeting with 5-8 people was easily accomodated. It was decorated in the Olde Worlde style of period furniture - fake fireplace, three lounge sofas, a couple of armchairs, buffet. Unfortunately, it really is old. Showing signs of wear and tear. A positive was the dining table in the alcove between the kitchen and lounge room. Handy to set up laptops, store papers etc.

I unfortunately drew the short straw and got the master bedroom. Room size was very good. However it felt like a dungeon with dark furnishings/trimmings in period style. Artificial lighting was provided sparingly. The room did have a window and door (locked) to the outside. I wanted to open the window for some fresh air respite from the oppressive heating, but upon opening the window, I didn't feel safe and the street noise was at the same decibel as when the window was closed. Two wardrobes for storage. I think there was a safe. My recollection is a bit hazy due to tiredness as the laundry truck parked outside the apartment work me up every morning at 5-6am. This is not bad luck for the year I stayed, another colleague stayed here the year after and was woken up by the same laundry truck and it's drivers.

My bathroom entry was via the shared corridor. The bathroom size was ok - small, what I expected for London. NO RAIN SHOWER. In order to fit in the small bathroom, a small 3/4 size bathtub was provided. It offered a short corded handheld shower head. Having a bath and washing my hair involved contortions. I couldn't believe a GBP423 (excl 17%VAT)/night hotel would not have a standing shower. Even a shower over the bath would have sufficed.

My colleague got the 2 single bed room. His ensuite bathroom had a standing shower. But the pressure and temperature was not so great. The cheap shower could have done with some proper grouting and a good clean.

The apartment also had a private garden/terrace area. This was closed due to outside building renovations when we stayed. I think the renovations have completed - so you should be able to access. This looked nice.

Staff: met some requirements, won't go beyond duty. Housekeeping: met most requirements.

There was free wireless from the hotel. Unfortunately it did not extend an extra 2 metres into the apartment. It was inconvenient to have to decamp to the Library in the hotel or lean outside the lounge room window onto the street to check emails.

Location of the apartment is outstanding. 30secs to Green Park, 2 min to Buckingham Palace. Easy walking distance to night spots eg Dover St. 5-10min walk to most hotels in Mayfair and Hyde Park. The running tracks in Green Park are very good. Shopping is close by (Regent St and Oxford St) 10-15min walk. Tesco is around the corner. Sainsbury and Marks and Spencer is 10min walk. There is a dry cleaner and Kikiu
(japanese restaurant) a few doors down, Cafe Nero at the corner or Curzon and Half Moon St, recommend getting a free coffee card.

If you are travelling with kids and only staying for a short time 1-2 days, this apartment would be perfect with lots of space. Otherwise find somewhere else before the cracks start to show.

Flat screen tv in lounge room, can't remember what was in the bedrooms - but I think they were small CRT tube tvs.

Needless to say, I stayed at Green Park Hilton and the Ascott Mayfair after this experience at less than half the rate and triple the comfort.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank sckc01
UK
Reviewed 4 November 2009

An OK hotel. The staff were friendly and the room OK. Attention to detail a bit off, the plug in our bath was broken and one coffee cup was really chipped - but nothing serious wrong. Great location.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Flemings has to be The Perfect Address in London , you cant get any more central or accessible and quiet. For those of us that enjoy a morning run access to Hyde Park is ideal . Its lovely to see the food and beverage areas being refurbished. The place is looking really sharp. As always the service is exceptional . This place is a gem, at a sensible price for central London

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business