“steve n maz”

Ranked #490 of 1,067 Hotels in London
peterborough/cambs
“steve n maz”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked this hotel for one night, its on a bus route so oyster cards are good 5 mins walk from LDR prince regent next to the Excel center Dont exspect the Ritz or a top London area for this price . The room we were given was clean and new looking had a balcony terrace we could walk on to to get some air, the outlook was nothing special though traffic noisy if the windows were open. Tea coffie facilities and tv on the wall usual for London. The staff were great and very welcoming nothing to much trouble, Breakfast not a large plate but very taisty and filling. The owner and his staff were not rude and if the choosypalate was that bothered about his lack of sleep why did he not check out after the frist nights bad sleep some people just like to complain and see the bad in everthing. Thanks to Rashid and Ali on the front desk.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I travel constantly for business — I'm home about 3 days a month — and this is the worst Western hotel I've ever stayed in. The rooms have no ventilation, so you have to leave the windows open, but the traffic is really noisy and doesn't slow down at any hour of the night. The room was tiny and cramped, poorly laid out, and the bathroom was only slightly larger than an airplane bathroom. The mattress is cheap, full of springs, dips in the middle. I didn't have solid night's sleep once in 6 nights.

In their best moments the staff was indifferent, and otherwise rude. My door was left unlocked after the room was cleaned and I was told, "It's okay, we have CCTV everywhere." Not even an apology. (And also: No, not okay.) As I was checking out, a couple was complaining about cockroaches in their bathroom. There was a lot of excuses but no apology and no gesture of making it up in any way.

I had to leave town for a few days and intended to avoid a huge hassle by leaving and luggage staying here again, but by the end of my initial stay, wanted nothing more than to get out. I ended up paying USD 150 to leave the luggage at the airport, just to avoid this place.

Also, it's at least 45 min from anything in central London so there's no reason to stay here unless, like me, you have to be at the ExCel center. And even then, for the same price, much better options if you don't wait to the last minute to book (so many hotels around)

Room Tip: Ask to get as far away from the street as possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thechoosypalate
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Below is a copy of the email of compliant I sent to the hotel, it's been 5 days now, and I have heard nothing. I am appalled at the lack of care I received. My advise is to spend the extra on the bigger hotels nearer the Excel who have secure/CCTV. I have added a photo of where my car was when it was broken into (the white Focus in the far left)

To Whom it May Concern,

I arrived at the Prince Regent Hotel in Newham, London at 4:30pm, on the 2nd June 2014.

I was very concerned about the area, and made sure that I took all of my valuable work equipment and bags straight into the hotel. Nothing was on display in the car. When I spoke to reception about parking they told me that it was safe on the street. The hotel only has secure parking for 4 cars, but reassured me that my car was safe next to the hotel.

At 7:30pm I was alerted to the fact that the car had just been broken into. The hotel staff wouldn’t call the police for me. And annoyingly told me that is was a safe area (multiple times) – I was later to find out this is far from true. I had no choice to stand on my own for 45 minutes waiting for the police. Whilst drug dealers did their business around me, no one from the hotel offered any kind of help or assistance to me. I was afraid for my personal safety.

The police were great, told me it is a very common occurrence in the area due to lack of CCTV. They took all the details, and told me that they were unlikely to ever find the person who smashed my window.

I was then left on my own, the hotel staff were nowhere to be seen (no one on reception) so I had to leave my car unattended and get my bags from my room. When I came back through reception the receptionist was shocked at how much stuff I had had to keep in my room. He yet again told me it was a safe area. I told him that the police had told me the complete opposite.

As I sat in the car, about to leave, the newsagent 2 doors down from the hotel was robbed and the cashier was hit on the head.

When the police arrived and looked at my car, I explained that an hour ago it had been smashed on the same street and their reply was, “Welcome to E16 love”.

I accept that car can be broken into in any car park. However your hotel’s lack of enough secure parking and lack of CCTV is a factor in my car being broken into. Most of all, I find the behaviour of your staff completely unacceptable. To leave me with no assistance and not offer any help was disgusting.

Regards

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the noisy front of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Elizabeth B
manchester
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the location to the excel was great,the staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble,the room was a good size,the bed was sooo comfy i did,nt want to get up.everything about this hotel ticked all my boxes.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank paulineellis55
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Please don't think this is a plush hotel on the excel complex. It is not. The marketing strategy of the hotel seems to be to advertise huge discounts on web sites and incorporate Excel into the name. I thought I had bagged a bargain at the last minute. The discounted rate was about right for the room. The bed was too small and the floorboards creaked so we were kept awake at night. Why are they not honest !!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Light62
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I think we were very lucky as to the room we were given as ours was quite big! Very nice room in one of the annexes at the top floor, however location was very deceiving from photos!

The limited parking spaces were taken on arrival so had to park on road, didn't like that there were a lot of people hanging around outside as it was late and dark but checked in, reception staff very friendly however on checking out, maids were very rude, waited outside our door an hour before check out reminding us we only had an hour and a half until check out which we were well aware of so were outside loudly talking which was a bit annoying but reception staff cancelled out their service.

Great access to the tube station, would stay again for short stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Abernethy
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I spent 4 nights here the first of which was unfortunately marred by the fact that my room looked onto a busy road. It was very warm and the windows had to be open so that sleep was virtually impossible. Next morning I spoke to the owner who asked me to pack my case and this would be transferred to another room at the back of the hotel before I returned - problem solved.
As someone else mentioned, the rooms are a little small but well fitted out with good quality fitments (extra drawer space would be appreciated).
The choice at breakfast is fairly limited and (instant) coffee is brought to one's table in an individual cup. I suggest each table should be provided with a percolator.
I would also prefer a door .to the shower rather than a shower curtain which gets itself drawn against the body!
All in all though, a nice hotel with any shortcomings more than compensated for by pleasant and helpful staff

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front of the hotel unless the weather is likely to be cool enough to keep the wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo